Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Map of members
I Read This
November 18, 2018, 20:56:41 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Map of members  (Read 31703 times)
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2007, 19:52:19 EDT »

Given the crime rate in Nottingham, it had better be both of them.
Actually the Sheriff of Nottingham today is not in charge of law enforcement; the office is actually similar to that of a mayor.

And people tend to over-estimate the crime rate here. You'd think the place was a gangster's warzone if you buy what the news has to say. Nevertheless, I can assure that I myself have never personally been the victim of a crime anywhere in Nottingham and, furthermore, the serious crime tends to be confined to certain deprived areas like St Ann's. It's not a city-wide epidemic, whatever the media would have you believe.

Nevertheless, I don't intend to stay in Nottingham once I've finished university.

Except in the United States, elsewhere in the world, a sheriff is generally responsible for just enforcing municipal bylaws, rather than the laws of the land.

"Going to War for Peace,
is like Screwing for Virginity."

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
purplecat
Mad Scientist
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2007, 16:46:08 EDT »

Actually the Sheriff of Nottingham today is not in charge of law enforcement; the office is actually similar to that of a mayor.

And people tend to over-estimate the crime rate here. You'd think the place was a gangster's warzone if you buy what the news has to say. Nevertheless, I can assure that I myself have never personally been the victim of a crime anywhere in Nottingham and, furthermore, the serious crime tends to be confined to certain deprived areas like St Ann's. It's not a city-wide epidemic, whatever the media would have you believe.

Nevertheless, I don't intend to stay in Nottingham once I've finished university.

I know, The chance for a bad joke was just too powerful to resist.

And actually, the figures for crime in Nottingham are very misleading. It is much better than the figures suggest, mainly because the boundaries of Nottingham are tightly drawn, excluding a huge proportion of the wealthier suburbs, which count as different council areas. Thus, the crime rate is based on the city centre and the grotty estates that surround it.

Purplecat: Keeper of the political compass thread. Want to be on the graph? post your results here

Me: (No, seriously, this entire forum has the attention span of an..... oooh! shiny!)
Corronis
Political Commentator

Follower of Lazarus Long's Teachings.

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2007, 04:07:22 EDT »

I'm the only one here in Wyoming(not surprising, WY is largely conservative)...   I'm kinda amazed that I can actually see my truck when I zoom in...

Economic Left/Right: 2.63  Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.82

"Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house." - Lazarus Long
Eon
The Cute and Fuzzy Author of Eon's Comic
Talking Head

I like vixens!

« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2007, 23:02:12 EDT »

I know, The chance for a bad joke was just too powerful to resist.

And actually, the figures for crime in Nottingham are very misleading. It is much better than the figures suggest, mainly because the boundaries of Nottingham are tightly drawn, excluding a huge proportion of the wealthier suburbs, which count as different council areas. Thus, the crime rate is based on the city centre and the grotty estates that surround it.
This is very true, and a source of some resentment for me, I must say.

I grew up in the suburbs right on the edge of the city, but just outside enough to be under the county council, not the city council, which meant I was excluded from certain initiatives in school that other students had access to. Students attending the same sixth form as me at Redhill School were actually paid (yes, with money) to do so; regardless of their actual circumstances, city residents were entitled to a certain amount each week.

Non-city residents could apply, but my circumstances would've almost certainly disqualified me from any free money, since I didn't actually need it. But, then again, neither did most of the students who were city residents, hence why I considered the initiative somewhat unfair, and wholly stupid really, since people shouldn't be lured into staying on at school with money; if they're going to stay to do A levels, it should be because that's what they want.

Meh, doesn't matter though now. :p

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: