Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Where do you stand?
I Read This
September 19, 2018, 12:25:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you stand?  (Read 83991 times)
purplecat
Mad Scientist
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

« on: February 09, 2005, 08:15:14 EST »

In the introductions forum, I noticed that people were also stating their political positions when saying hello.
Now, there are quite a few of us from different parts of the world here, so it makes understanding the labels that we place on ourselves a little more difficult. Two examples. The term "Centrist" may mean two completely different things in two different countries. Similarly, the term "liberal" has subtly different connotations in Europe compared to the USA.

A more objective way of comparing ourselves would be to do what I did in my intro post and report political compass scores

Post your results below. If we get enough answers, I may even come up with a graph.

And to start us all off, my results are:
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.82

Stickied
--Richard

Purplecat: Keeper of the political compass thread. Want to be on the graph? post your results here

Me: (No, seriously, this entire forum has the attention span of an..... oooh! shiny!)
Zeiros
Political Commentator

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 17:30:28 EST »

Very very very good idea! So good that I took the test myself:

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.54

All of you who are reading this, definitely take this test. It'll make you question your own views on society and the economy, and perhaps learn a little more about yourself! ^__^
Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 17:41:28 EST »

Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

Well, that is an interesting look at the political spectrum...

BentSea
Political Commentator

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 18:04:11 EST »

I couldn't even complete the first page of the test.  The questions and answers were so pollarized that there were no answers that I could select, and it wouldn't let me move on without answering them.

Freedom is the rush of freefall after jumping from an airplane, right before you pull the cord and your chute fails to open.
GhostWay
Political Analyst

Former Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 19:09:24 EST »

Hm.  I seem to have recalled seeing this a while back, but I couldn't even remember what it was called.

Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.00

Oh, and I just love the subtle sarcasm in question 22 of their FAQ:
22. When are you guys gonna learn to spell?

This grievance comes from those who aren't aware that British and American spellings sometimes differ.

We've been at the centre of some rancour, but we're not going to take offence or harbour any grievances. The catalogue of complaints won't colour this organisation's programme. It's a grey area anyway. And we don't want to labour the point.

[citation needed]
nilloc
New Political Commentator

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 19:31:03 EST »

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

eh it's balanced, thats probably a good sign.
Jake
aka; Taris Quickpaw
Talking Head

I see you....

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 19:50:02 EST »

Yes.  some of the question i would not have answerd beause there was no answer taht i would have selected.

Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08

"Shut up!  I'm trying to make conversation!" ~ Me, IReadThis IRC channel

Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 20:01:52 EST »

Economic Left/Right: -5.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.44

A lack of a neutral response and some seemingly loaded questions (the abortion one springs to mind here) bothered me somewhat, but all in all I feel a good range of issues were covered. Although it should also be noted that I do sometimes misunderstand phrasing, and thus things make be completely different should I retake the quiz thanks to that. Though the position on the chart in relation to the UK Green Party feels about right...

I should also note that some questions weren't detailed enough for my liking, and expansion on some issues would have been useful. But as I say, overall it's a decent form of analysis. Also some rather odd points that fit into my political beliefs weren't mentioned, for example - 'should humans have the right to legally enter a contract essentially equating to a form of voluntary slavery?'

Also of interest - according to a test that evaluated the specific issues of the US politicians rather than the general stance, I matched better with Codd than with Nadar. according to that, I match Nadar better than Codd. Though there wasn't too much difference between the two, so I guess it comes down to specifically how the matching is analysed.

I also can't help but wonder where, specifically, DCS lies on the spectrum.

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
TheOges
Political Commentator

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 23:42:30 EST »

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.67

Huh, interesing.
BunnyBoy
Your stressed out bunny
Pundit

Blessed are the cheese makers

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 00:42:07 EST »

I'd agree that the lack of a nuteral response was a little odd.  It's like the abortion issue I'd like to think I'm nuteral on that.  Being gay I'm pretty sure I'll never be in a situation to have to make that decision so I realy don't think I should have a say in weither some one else can

Also I doubt you can get an accurate reading with so few  questions

Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97
ashke50
Political Commentator

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 06:31:31 EST »

Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67

Although it should also be noted that I do sometimes misunderstand phrasing, and thus things make be completely different should I retake the quiz thanks to that.

I agree, and it is likely that if I retook the test I would be in a slightly different position too.

~There is no Sp00n~
Burning Sheep Productions
Political Commentator

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 06:57:01 EST »

There shoulda been an "I dunno" along  with a "Neutral" selection cuz quite a few it was "A genuine free market thingy requires restrictions on the ability of some predator multinationalamaninons to create crazy monopolokololie stuff-thingies... okay I guess... Agree."

Anyways:
Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64

Burning [/color]Sheep[/color] Productions[/color][/i]
Ilanin
Political Commentator

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 15:57:43 EST »

0.88 Left/Right
-7.61 Libertarian/Authoritarian.

This is from a while ago, although probably accurate, I don't think my opinions have changed much.

Learning without thinking is fruitless; thinking without learning is perplexing
 - Analects 2.15
Arion Hunter
New Political Commentator

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 16:50:20 EST »

Economic Left/Right: -5.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.46

I'm going to have to join the chorus of people calling for a "Neutral" category. At times, these questions were much too loaded for a simple yes/no.

"The voice of intellegence is drowned out by the roar of fear. It is ignored by the voice of desire. It is contradicted by the voice of shame. It is biased by hate and extinguished by anger. Most of all it is silenced by ignorance." - Karl Menninger

Economic Left/Right: -3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.46
Jay
Political Commentator

I'm baaaack! (not that any one cares)

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 19:09:11 EST »

Quote from: BentSea
I couldn't even complete the first page of the test.  The questions and answers were so pollarized that there were no answers that I could select, and it wouldn't let me move on without answering them.
Don't sweat it, it's just for a rough approximation.  For most people with real thoughts on an issue, none of the four choices fits.  If you did strongly agree or disagree with every statement without sensing that they're loaded, you wouldn't need to post scores to show where you stand anyway; you'd be smooshed way into one corner...

economic: -8.25
Social: -5.54

It seems most of us here are in the same general area.  I guess that's not too surprising given what brings us all together here.  wink

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." - HL Mencken
Do you know who Jay's favourite boarder is?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: