Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
The Last Page News: 'All the news that fits we print'
I Read This
July 20, 2018, 16:04:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56
  Print  
Author Topic: The Last Page News: 'All the news that fits we print'  (Read 117921 times)
Zeiros
Political Commentator

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2005, 13:57:18 EST »

Wow... that, Vis..... is quite impressive. Shows how desperate these people get at times....
Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 07:07:11 EST »

This definately speaks for itself.

Radar Police Stumped by Parking Ticket
Thu Feb 3, 2005 10:39 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - An over-zealous policeman slapped a parking ticket on the windshield of a fellow officer's squad car while his colleagues were setting a radar trap to catch speeding motorists in a town in eastern Germany.

"Traffic regulations apply for everyone," Hans-Joachim Schneider, head of the Jessen town office, told the Mitteldeutsche Zeitung newspaper.

The radar police had parked their squad car on the wrong side of the road -- facing the oncoming traffic.

VisibilityMissing
Response Hazy, Please Try Again. . .
Political Analyst

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 21:40:27 EST »

Well, the kid could have been hiding drugs in his cake . . .

Feb 8, 6:15 PM EST

Ark. Drug Bust Crashes Kid's Birthday

By DAVID HAMMER
Associated Press Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) -- Police on a drug raid burst into a home during a toddler's birthday party, startling children who were getting ready to eat their cake when the gun-toting officers crashed the party.

Amid wails from children and a few parents - and a phone ringing incessantly with prospective drug buyers - officers arrested a pregnant woman and accused her of selling marijuana from the house.

Shannon Hills Police Chief Richard Friend, who led the raid, found parents about to light candles on a cake adorned with green and white cartoon characters and a big "2" on top.

"The kids were up in high-chairs eating pizza and the cake was just about to be lit and cut when we kicked the party off a little early," Friend said Tuesday. "We got them something they wish they could return."

Police did not know a birthday party was going on when they decided to make the bust.

"The first thing I saw was the birthday table and cake, so I yelled for everyone to put away their guns," Shannon Hills Police Chief Richard Friend said. "You could see they had a nightmare-come-true. Everyone just froze and looked at me. The parents started crying and then the kids started crying."

Elizabeth Leah Sauls, 21, was hosting her niece's second birthday party at the time of Friday evening's raid. She was allegedly smoking marijuana in the master bedroom and continuing to sell pot out of the house as the police moved in. Friend said she received 35 calls requesting the drug in the short time that police were there.

"We barely had time to conduct interviews because the phone kept ringing with people wanting to buy narcotics," Friend said.

Sauls was arrested on drug charges but was released without bond because the jail was full, Friend said.

She appealed to the police that she was just selling the marijuana to pay for diapers and food for her 1-year-old, but police said they had been gathering evidence for weeks, making undercover purchases from the home, arresting buyers leaving the home and finding $860 and a pair of scales in the house.

The 2-year-old birthday girl and Sauls' 1-year-old were turned over to their grandmother, who was at the party.

"We have plenty of cases of people providing drugs in diaper bags around children, but at a birthday party? That's unusual," prosecutor Robert Herzfeld said.

© 2005 The Associated Press

"The beauty of this is that it is only of theoretical importance,
and there is no way it can be of any practical use whatsoever."
- Sidney Harris
Burning Sheep Productions
Political Commentator

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 01:05:17 EST »

That's gotta suck for the kid.,

Burning [/color]Sheep[/color] Productions[/color][/i]
VisibilityMissing
Political Analyst

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 22:32:49 EST »

Okay, I'm digging, I know.

But, Ouch!

Feb 10, 9:37 PM EST

Man Sues, Says Testicle Wrongly Removed

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (AP) -- A man is suing an area hospital and one of its surgeons, claiming one of his testicles was wrongly removed during surgery.

Danny Curtis claims Dr. Albert McBride, a surgeon at Kern Medical Center, did not conduct a biopsy before arranging urgent surgery to remove a testicular tumor in July 2004, according to the lawsuit filed in Kern County Superior Court.

Doctors later discovered that the tumor was not malignant and did not need to be removed, according to court documents.

Curtis is asking for an undisclosed amount of money for damages. His age was not immediately available.

The lawsuit claims he "has been caused to sustain severe and permanent physical and emotional injuries, including but not limited to the loss of plaintiff's testicle, as well as residual disfigurement, scarring and pain."

McBride and hospital officials declined to comment to The Associated Press on Thursday, referring all calls to their attorney, Robert Woods. Woods did not immediately return a telephone call.

McBride left his private practice in San Diego to head the urology department at the medical center in 1997. He received his medical degree from George Washington University and previously served as a lieutenant commander on a naval hospital ship stationed in Vietnam.

© 2005 The Associated Press

- Sidney Harris
Jake
aka; Taris Quickpaw
Talking Head

I see you....

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2005, 16:48:39 EST »

>>  i'd be pissed too.....

"Shut up!  I'm trying to make conversation!" ~ Me, IReadThis IRC channel

TheOges
Political Commentator

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 18:34:38 EST »

Zoo tempts gay penguins to go straight

A German zoo has imported four female penguins from Sweden in an effort to tempt its gay penguins to go straight.

Penguins at Bremerhaven Zoo in Bremen /Europics

The four Swedish females were dispatched to the Bremerhaven Zoo in Bremen after it was found that three of the zoo's five penguin pairs were homosexual.

Keepers at the zoo ordered DNA tests to be carried out on the penguins after they had been mating for years without producing any chicks.

It was only then they realised that six of the birds were living in homosexual partnerships.

Director Heike Kueck said that the zoo hoped to see some baby penguins in the coming months.

She said that the birds had been mating for years and one couple even adopted a stone that they protected like an egg.

Kueck said that the project has the support of the European Endangered Species Programme because the penguins, which are native to South America, are an endangered species.

A biologist will be on hand to monitor the experiment.

But introducing the Bremerhaven penguins to their new Swedish friends may not be as successful as hoped after earlier experiments revealed great difficulties in separating homosexual couples.

In case they show no interest, the zoo has also flown in two new male penguins "so that the ladies don't miss out altogether", Kueck added.

J. C. Weller
Political Analyst

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 18:36:00 EST »

Can penguins be homosexual?  huh

POLITICS, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. - Ambrose Bierce
VisibilityMissing
Political Analyst

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 20:32:25 EST »

Homosexual penguins, eh?  I wonder who really has the problem there?  It would seem the zookeepers and veterinarians should be embarrassed for not knowing the penguins were the same sex . . .

Driver's ed?  We don't need no stinkin' driver's ed!

Feb 11, 5:46 PM EST

Student Runs Over Driver's Ed Teacher

STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. (AP) -- A driver's education instructor was run over by one of her students and pinned beneath the car for 15 minutes, officials said.

Two cars driven by students collided on the DeKalb County Schools driver's education lot, then one of the students backed into Patricia Erwin, running her over.

She was hospitalized Friday in stable condition and underwent surgery for multiple broken bones.

Erwin, 64, who has taught driving for 20 years, was working with the students on a drill that included pulling forward and backing up at slow speeds, said Kal Kelliher, the district's driver's education coordinator.

© 2005 The Associated Press.

- Sidney Harris
Jake
aka; Taris Quickpaw
Talking Head

I see you....

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2005, 23:55:27 EST »

yes, i think that the zoo keepers would be rather imbaresd about not knowing what sex their penguins were..

As for the drivers ed, i took my classes from Officers, in the back of their cars..  no, no, jsut kidding.  It was through the Officers driving school, adn i thought that the instrctors should be in the car when the stdents were driving....  <<

"Shut up!  I'm trying to make conversation!" ~ Me, IReadThis IRC channel

Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2005, 03:01:47 EST »

Quote from: J. C. Weller
Can penguins be homosexual?

I don't know any specifics about penguin homosexuality, however, homosexuality within the animal kingdom is extremely common, so I would guess at a 'yes'. What the zoo is obviously hoping is that the homosexual penguins they have are actually bisexual and just fooling around within their own gender until they find a propper mate. It's not unheard of within certain bird species, such as budgees, for them to use same sex relationships to practice mating, though I find it unlikely that they'd be identified as a mating pair, especially to the point of adopting a rock as an egg substitute, unless they'd found a life-long mate. Or whatever it is penguins do (sadly, I don't know penguin mating practices in general).

More info on homosexuality within the animal kingdom can be found here

As for the drivers ed, I take it the students in question weren't all that good at using the rear window o_O;

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Burning Sheep Productions
Political Commentator

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2005, 06:14:38 EST »

Quote from: Gizensha
More info on homosexuality within the animal kingdom can be found here

Hrmm, nice lil' read there.

Burning [/color]Sheep[/color] Productions[/color][/i]
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2005, 22:11:28 EST »

From what I learned in biology class, penguins mate for life, and a penguin that loses its mate often dies prematurely.  So, whatever vet thought/thinks that this is a good idea needs to be fired and die a slow, depressing, and torturous death so he knows what it feels like.
Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2005, 03:15:16 EST »

From what I read of the article, they don't intend to split the gay penguins up. They're just importing four females and two males in hopes that these gay penguins are an exception to the rule, with the two males there just in case they aren't so that they get eggs from the females. There isn't any mention of forcing a split up, just mention of attempts to tempt a split up, which are doomed to failure if what you say is true.

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
VisibilityMissing
Political Analyst

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2005, 22:47:59 EST »

I'm sure that this will be a problem . . .

Inmates going through caffeine withdrawal!

Feb 14, 7:55 PM EST

Michigan to Cut Free Coffee for Inmates

By AMY F. BAILEY
Associated Press Writer

LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- Free coffee soon will be off the menu in Michigan's prisons. In an effort to save $250,000 this year, inmates in state prisons and people in boot camps and correctional centers won't be able to get free coffee after March 1, Corrections Department spokesman Russ Marlan said Monday.

Marlan said inmates still will be able to buy instant coffee at prison stores, but he didn't know how much they charge for coffee.

"We're looking at everything that can reduce costs without jeopardizing public safety," Marlan said. "There is no nutritional value to coffee."

The state pays $2.50 to feed an inmate three meals a day, or a little more than $120,000 for the state's 48,600 inmates, Marlan said.

He said the savings generated by getting rid of free coffee are in Gov. Jennifer Granholm's budget-cutting executive order to help resolve a $375 million shortfall in this year's $8.8 billion general fund. But the department will go ahead with it even if the House and Senate Appropriations committees reject the order, he said.

The overall Department of Corrections budget is $1.79 billion for the current fiscal year. Granholm's executive order includes $18.7 million in spending cuts and funding shifts in the Corrections budget.

The executive order is scheduled to be considered by the House and Senate Appropriations committees on Tuesday.

---

On the Net:

Michigan Department of Corrections: http://www.michigan.gov/corrections

© 2005 The Associated Press.

- Sidney Harris
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56
  Print  

Jump to: