Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Healthcare Squabbles
I Read This
December 13, 2018, 00:45:33 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Healthcare Squabbles  (Read 5598 times)
Blue Boy from Red Country
Political Analyst

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 21:50:13 EDT »

Having spent the last couple of days in the US, I found it interesting how the whole healthcare "debate" (or lack thereof, I don't consider hysterical yelling and screaming part of a debate) is playing out, especially compared to what happened while the last president was in office. Sometimes, I wish the Democrats would have raised as much hell against the policies back then as they're facing now, but then again, they're usually too civil for that.

I once heard that politicians as far back as Theodore Roosevelt were aware of the problems with a for-profit Health Care system. The matter has been a subject of discussion long enough that there's really little need left for broad intellectual debate; its all a matter of figuring out the details and how to introduce changes.

This current attempt at Health Care reform may actually succeed not just because of the large Democratic majority in power, but because costs have reached the point that most employers are shifting the burden onto their employees. Companies willing to pay 100% of the cost are becoming more uncommon.

Also, it seems that you don't need the internet for a decent flamewar, letters to the editor of the local newspaper will do just fine. Wink

lol, "flamewars" have been happening for a long time... The Internet just allows them to happen much faster. Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: