Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
"A.I.G. Suing US Government for $306 Million"
I Read This
December 11, 2018, 14:59:28 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]
  Print  
Author Topic: "A.I.G. Suing US Government for $306 Million"  (Read 60546 times)
Psy
Pundit

« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2009, 11:46:21 EDT »

So what's your best guess on the value of a blowjob?

What should I exchange to give it fair value?
That would be the effort required to get one, from other side that would be the effort to give one (taking into account they have better things they could be doing).
Current
Pundit

« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2009, 15:41:48 EDT »

That would be the effort required to get one, from other side that would be the effort to give one (taking into account they have better things they could be doing).
That's a marginalist argument.  The person working is considering one thing they are doing against other things that they could be doing.

If you accept this marginalist argument why not others?  They are all basically the same.
Psy
Pundit

« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2009, 18:58:57 EDT »

That's a marginalist argument.  The person working is considering one thing they are doing against other things that they could be doing.

If you accept this marginalist argument why not others?  They are all basically the same.
Not really lets look back at Addam Smith's definition of LTV:

"The real price of every thing, what every thing really costs to the man who wants to acquire it, is the toil and trouble of acquiring it. What every thing is really worth to the man who has acquired it, and who wants to dispose of it or exchange it for something else, is the toil and trouble which it can save to himself, and which it can impose upon other people."

In this example it is valuing giving a blow job to the effort that could be saved from what people would give for the service, in other words in exchange the seller would want something that saves them effort of similar value of the effort what they are selling.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2009, 16:10:14 EDT »

So every time I do the dishes (light-moderate exertion over ten minutes) I should request a blowjob repayment?

Oh, wait, I'm just recieving a message...I've been told that's a non-starter.  One moment while I accuse my S/O of being a soul-less capitalist who uses marginal value economics (They're a Lenninist, so this should be good).

As a parting request, remember that there are other costs aside from pure materialism, such as demeaning labour (pointed out by King Marx himself) and alienation.  Anyway, off to demand fair value for my labour!

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Psy
Pundit

« Reply #259 on: May 11, 2009, 00:26:34 EDT »

So every time I do the dishes (light-moderate exertion over ten minutes) I should request a blowjob repayment?

Oh, wait, I'm just recieving a message...I've been told that's a non-starter.  One moment while I accuse my S/O of being a soul-less capitalist who uses marginal value economics (They're a Lenninist, so this should be good).

As a parting request, remember that there are other costs aside from pure materialism, such as demeaning labour (pointed out by King Marx himself) and alienation.  Anyway, off to demand fair value for my labour!
LTV doesn't say when someone will sell, it just gives a material value.  Also it is based on the general market of commodities so it can't measure value for a specific blow job just the average material value of a blow job.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #260 on: May 11, 2009, 14:58:24 EDT »

So it can't predict the market value of a commodity, just give a material value which must be modified before a reasonable market projection can be made?

Hmmm...so what use is it?

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Psy
Pundit

« Reply #261 on: May 12, 2009, 00:19:08 EDT »

So it can't predict the market value of a commodity,

just give a material value which must be modified before a reasonable market projection can be made?

Hmmm...so what use is it?
It can predict trends in market value as LTV gauges the base value of commodities
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #262 on: May 12, 2009, 01:43:24 EDT »

Heq: See my signature.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #263 on: May 13, 2009, 01:33:03 EDT »

My attempts to trade table cleaning for blowjobs has been unsuccessful.

LTV has let me down and like a jilted lover, I shall not call upon it again.

Med, yesm, but your sig does not lead me to sex referances.

Psy
Pundit

« Reply #264 on: May 13, 2009, 10:37:36 EDT »

Again LTV does not say you can trade table cleaning for blow jobs.  It measures material value in production, the rest of the theory simply assumes market competition would keep prices around material value, meaning when you don't have prices in line with labor value LTV simply assumes it is a problem with lack of competition in the market.
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2009, 01:35:56 EDT »

There's your problem, Heq! You need an open relationship! If you limit your suppliers of blow jobs to just one person, they've got a monopoly on your access to blow jobs and can jack up the prices!

So to speak...

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Current
Pundit

« Reply #266 on: May 14, 2009, 05:50:52 EDT »

Again LTV does not say you can trade table cleaning for blow jobs.  It measures material value in production, the rest of the theory simply assumes market competition would keep prices around material value, meaning when you don't have prices in line with labor value LTV simply assumes it is a problem with lack of competition in the market.
Actually, that's a very good summary of Marxist economics.  It's a pity the two assumptions you mention aren't true.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #267 on: May 14, 2009, 18:21:06 EDT »

My attempts to open the markets has been a failure, as the cheif supplier of blowjobs has threatened to with-hold all future blowjobs until such time as I drop my charges of monopolization.

However, I fear if I switch to a true free-market system I may go some time before I can find a new supplier for blowjobs, during which time great suffering will occur.

I believe there may be a market failure occurring.

Psy
Pundit

« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2009, 22:56:27 EDT »

Actually, that's a very good summary of Marxist economics.  It's a pity the two assumptions you mention aren't true.

Yet industrialization has effected prices exactly how LTV predicted, every industry starts with higher prices then as competition in the industry grows there is downward pressure on pre-unit price that is regulated by how fast the competing capitalists can mechanized labor and like Marx predicted as workers are replaced by fixed capital (machinery) the price falls due to commodity devaluation due to less worker effort required to produce each unit even though capitalists slowly develop larger overheads due mechanization of labor that causes downward pressure on the rate of profit that historically has been true.

My attempts to open the markets has been a failure, as the cheif supplier of blowjobs has threatened to with-hold all future blowjobs until such time as I drop my charges of monopolization.

However, I fear if I switch to a true free-market system I may go some time before I can find a new supplier for blowjobs, during which time great suffering will occur.

I believe there may be a market failure occurring.
Look LTV has use-value for a reason, it explains why people demand certain commodity (and certain people refuse to produce a commodity) yet LTV pretty much sees demand as a non-issue in determining value, for example LTV looks at sheep and states the value of sheep is effort that goes into reproducing sheep either the cloning of breeding and that would value would actually effect demand (thus why LTV views demand as only a modifier and not a base, else you'd have circular logic of demand determining value and demand being determined by value)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]
  Print  

Jump to: