Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Where would you like to live?
I Read This
September 26, 2018, 07:39:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where would you like to live?  (Read 6436 times)
Ihlosi
Political Analyst

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 15:04:16 EDT »

Interesting, I didn't realise real estate and cars were so expensive there.

Cars are taxed at over 100% at registration, and, well, it's a small country with a decent-sized population. That drives prices up.
Current
Pundit

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 15:17:08 EDT »

The maximum registration tax in Ireland is 36% with VAT that makes the tax ~58%.  And I thought that was penal.
Andrei
Political Analyst

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 16:13:37 EDT »

A probably unrealistic fantasy of mine is that, one day, the Bucharest university will be so keen on me coming back home that they'll actually offer me a salary comparable to what I'd get in the US or Europe...

Yeah, I'd like to go back home, but not to live in poverty...

Otherwise, I'd like to live in France for awhile, though perhaps not to settle down there. I'm fluent in french and have a lot of family living there. I would, in fact, have more useful 'contacts' in France than in any other country.

I have a longer list of places I would never live in. Any place that doesn't get 2-3 months of snow a year is on it. Also Russia.

He looked severely at me for awhile, then, grabbing his moustaches, he said:
- Boss, with all due respect, you are naive and pedant.

"Alexis Zorba", by Nikos Kazantzakis (translation mine)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: