Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Where would you like to live?
I Read This
September 19, 2018, 12:34:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Where would you like to live?  (Read 6422 times)
Aeron
Political Commentator

What?

« on: March 17, 2009, 00:34:55 EDT »

I've been thinking a lot lately about places I'd like to move to someday. I'm sure the likelihood of me actually having the means of moving anywhere remotely distant is pretty slim, so for now, it's all fantasy. But! I enjoy fantasy, so why not fantasize?

Some places I've thought about recently:

Vancouver, BC
Denmark
Ontario--Toronto? Ottawa?
Aucklund or Wellington, New Zealand
Norway/Sweden

So, where would you like to live? Or are you very content with your current home town/city/country? (If so, please specify.)
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:10:34 EDT »

I plan to move to Pittsburgh, PA within the next year or so.  I have a ton of friends up there, it's a surprisingly fun and artsy city, and the cost of living is dirt cheap.  Much better than where I currently live; the mountains are pretty, but it's a poorly-managed town and I have no local friends anymore, since everyone lost touch and/or moved far away.
Ihlosi
Political Analyst

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 04:01:14 EDT »

Vancouver, BC
Denmark
Ontario--Toronto? Ottawa?
Aucklund or Wellington, New Zealand
Norway/Sweden

Hey, that's pretty much my list, too. (Maybe add Finnland (if they weren't speaking such an oddball language) and Switzerland to it).
FireyTiger
Campaign Directors
Talking Head

Keith Olbermann's Stalker, apparently...

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 09:41:32 EDT »

I'm pretty much happy where i'm living in the Kansas City Metro, Missouri side. There's lots of places that I sometimes think i'd like to live, but once I got settled there and the novelty wore off, i'd probably hate it.

There's things that annoy the living daylights out of me about Kansas City though, mostly regarding taxes. like the fact that I pay more in nonrefundable local Kansas City taxes than I do in MO state taxes, but I have no say in elections on new policies, tax increases, new programs, etc. in Kansas City because I don't TECHNICALLY live in KC, I live in a suburb. So basically they're taking off with tons of my money and giving me no say in how it's spent. Also, property taxes on cars are outrageous. It wouldn't be so bad if they actually offered a viable alternative to driving, like a decent public transportation system (which they had one on the ballot in November that I couldn't vote on... it failed) but they don't, so people are kinda required to have a car to get anywhere.

But the point is that even though I don't like everything about this area, there's tons here that I DO like, so that's enough to make me happy.

Quote from: azdb7
I'm sorry, you still seem to think your opinion is relevant.  Please re-examine the earlier posts and try again.
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 22:38:05 EDT »

I'm planning on studying Spanish in college and spending some time in Spain. I may also go to Italy.

Eventually I want to move back to South Florida, but head a little bit south and live on Miami Beach. Starr Island once I'm a rich guy who owns the Miami Heat.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Current
Pundit

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:46:17 EDT »

Folks seem keen on all the trendy places.  I lived in Cambridge UK when that place was trendy.  The problem was it was really expensive and as a result sucked.  It is a nice place if you have lots of money.

I currently live in Limerick in Ireland.  There is a lot to dislike about it.  It rains all the time, it's full of chavs and rampant welfare dependency and in the some suburbs very nasty gangsters live.  All everyone does is drink and listen to music, drink costs a fortune.

All that said most of my friends live here, and I quite like drinking and listening to music.  The chavs don't really bother me, and the gangsters can be avoided.  I have a reasonably easy job and a reasonably good salary.

I'll probably move at some point in the future.  There are plenty of nice places to live around the world.
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 22:16:31 EDT »

I plan to move to Pittsburgh, PA within the next year or so.  I have a ton of friends up there, it's a surprisingly fun and artsy city, and the cost of living is dirt cheap.
It is indeed quite nice when it isn't freezing cold, but that weather seems to have finally passed.  Only here for college though, normally I hail from Arlington Virginia, which is basically DC without the suck, and with the Pentagon.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 18:47:03 EDT by wodan46 » Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
Ibian
Political Analyst

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:12:25 EDT »

One of the warmer US states, should happen within the year if things go according to plan.

Considering Japan or some other parts of asia, but i still need to actually go there before i can form a good opinion on that.

Later i might look at parts of south america, depending.

Basically anywhere thats warm and has a decent internet connection, the people and culture and local economy will determine exactly where i end up. Bonus points for mountains.

Denmark
Why?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:14:16 EDT by Ibian » Logged
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 15:57:59 EDT »

Ibian, Florida doesn't have mountains or decent politics, but we're called the sunshine state for a reason. We also have Dwyane Wade.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Aeron
Political Commentator

What?

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 20:55:23 EDT »

Why not?
Ibian
Political Analyst

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 01:43:00 EDT »

Because its a shitty place to live?

Our real estate is 4 times as expensive as on the other side of the pond, cars are 4-10 times as expensive (no exaggeration here), gas is at least twice as expensive, the taxes are ridiculous, we have terrible weather, no exciting landscape and the one thing we had going for us, the high level of social services and security, is going down the drain within one or two decades. For my part, i cant wait to get out of here and never come back.
Current
Pundit

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 08:24:25 EDT »

Do you live in Denmark Ibian?
Ibian
Political Analyst

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 11:59:20 EDT »

Affirmative.
Current
Pundit

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:45 EDT »

Interesting, I didn't realise real estate and cars were so expensive there.

You should experience the weather in Ireland.

Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 14:36:45 EDT »

Mexico, or maybe East Ukraine.

Screw it, I'm never gonna want to speak to people who don't speak english, so it's maritimes, Scotland, or T-dot (toronto) for me.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: