Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Shootings in Northern Ireland
I Read This
July 20, 2018, 16:03:19 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shootings in Northern Ireland  (Read 3296 times)
Current
Pundit

« on: March 12, 2009, 16:27:21 EDT »

As some of you have probably read there have been some shootings in Northern Ireland recently.  The Real IRA shot dead two British soldiers.  They also shot two other soldiers and two polish Pizza delivery men.  Two days later, in another part of Northern Ireland a policeman was shot dead by the Continuity IRA.

This is all horrible and may lead in a very bad direction.

I can't help being reassured though by the comedy of the situation.  Few people outside will get it.  The Real IRA and the Continuity IRA are enemies.  They're associated with different criminal gangs in the Republic of Ireland.  Criminal gangs that frequently murder each other.

There is a small possibility that these attacks are coordinated.  It seems more likely though the CIRA felt their manhood threatened when the RIRA actually did some terrorism.  The CIRA then responded by shooting the first cop they could find.
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 17:17:48 EDT »

We were talking about this today in class and I was led to wonder, what makes England want to keep Northern Ireland? Is it really worth it?

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 19:17:59 EDT »

English bloodymindedness, mainly.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 20:57:50 EDT »

They already gave up most of their other holdings.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
rwpikul
Pundit

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 22:33:41 EDT »

There is also the slight bit that the majority of people there want to remain part of the UK.

That's why Ulster was split off in the first place, and the population distribution has remained relatively stable.

--

Chakat Firepaw - Inventor & Scientist (Mad)
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 23:05:00 EDT »

They already gave up most of their other holdings.

Only because they couldn't hold them properly any more. And even then, there's a certain grip that England still exercises over its former empire. Namely, powerful members of the British Commonwealth still have the Queen as their head of state. And apparently, it's considered a punishment for Fiji to be expelled from that same commonwealth for refusing to hold elections.

There is also the slight bit that the majority of people there want to remain part of the UK.

That's why Ulster was split off in the first place, and the population distribution has remained relatively stable.

Fair call.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Ihlosi
Political Analyst

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 05:07:49 EDT »

I think that's not limited to England. No country is especially keen on granting any of its parts independence, no matter how hard they struggle.
Current
Pundit

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 09:34:01 EDT »

Yes.  Most of the population are protestants and decendents of protestants.  It's fairly close these day's though because quite a lot of the protestants have moved to other parts of the UK.

It's not a simple as Britain pulling out.  If there were an election on unifying the north and the republic and a majority of the electorate of Northern Ireland voted for it then it may happen.  It is unlikely though the electorate would vote that way. 

The British government could pull out anyway.  But what would that achieve?  The protestants would be furious and the UVF would restart their terror campaign.  The IRA splinter groups are unlikely to keep quiet either, they are all affiliated with criminal gangs, as are some of the protestant terror groups, and in that capacity they would continue.  The Republic of Ireland could not police the north, they don't have the organization or the money.  They don't have the desire either, the government here in the republic would resist any unsupported pullout.

The current situation is not good, but a pullout would be much worse for almost everyone concerned.

I think that's not limited to England. No country is especially keen on granting any of its parts independence, no matter how hard they struggle.
Yes.
Ihlosi
Political Analyst

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 09:46:18 EDT »

Somehow, this week every crazy nutjob seems to be bent on shooting people. And Friday, 13th isn't even over yet.
Current
Pundit

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 12:13:48 EDT »

This week a major Irish crime figure accidentally killed himself by shooting himself in the head.  It's nice to have a little good news.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: