Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Vblogging on economics
I Read This
September 21, 2018, 11:27:33 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vblogging on economics  (Read 3021 times)
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« on: March 12, 2009, 13:42:53 EDT »

Yeah, I'm gonna need a memory hole after this one.  Spread the shame!  Department needs funding more then blue elf needs food!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62hmcJ8ELb4

It's still processing right now, but soon my shame shall be everywhere.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Current
Pundit

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 13:45:49 EDT »

YouTube is telling me that that video is unavailable.
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 19:21:54 EDT »

It's up now, but I'm at work. If my connection at home is up, we'll see how long you can keep my attention for Tongue

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Current
Pundit

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 16:46:10 EDT »

Finally got around to watching this.  I certainly agree with you that bailing out the banks sets a bad precedent for the future.  Banking will be done in a more high risk manner in the future because of the bailouts.  Regulation is unlikely to stop this.

I don't see anything wrong with simply letting a few banks go bankrupt.  Madoff's fund wasn't considered "Too big to fail" so why should other banks be?  The situation isn't like the 30s when branch banking law prohibited others from taking over when a local bank failed.  If something like citigroup went bust tomorrow it could be put through bankruptcy quickly and another bank could recover the vestige in it and continue trading in a few weeks.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 01:04:54 EDT »

That's a political thing rather then a tactile discussion.

As I've said many times before I'm a pragmatist, and currently that issue would gain no traction.  There are much better answers out there, but a noncompetitive central bank is probably the most viable one for the democrats at present (assuming they actually want to get out of this and resolve the issues, but my gut tells me Obama is using the economy as cover and doesn't actually believe Keynsianism so much as he believes that espousing it will allow him to do as he wants).

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Current
Pundit

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:05:21 EDT »

That's a political thing rather then a tactile discussion.

As I've said many times before I'm a pragmatist, and currently that issue would gain no traction.  There are much better answers out there, but a noncompetitive central bank is probably the most viable one for the democrats at present
In my view, one viable political option is to let one or two banks go bankrupt completely at random.  That would put the wind up the rest.

If they know that in the future there is a chance they will go bankrupt then they may not increase their risk taking so much.  The game can at least be made like russian roulette.

(assuming they actually want to get out of this and resolve the issues, but my gut tells me Obama is using the economy as cover and doesn't actually believe Keynsianism so much as he believes that espousing it will allow him to do as he wants).
I think that's true of many politicians who preach Keynesianism and many economists.

Keynes said in 1942:
"Organized public works, at home and abroad, may be the right cure for a chronic tendency to a deficiency of effective demand. But they are not capable of sufficiently rapid organisation (and above all cannot be reversed or undone at a later date), to be the most serviceable instrument for the prevention of the trade cycle."

Nobody mentions this though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: