Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
What Good Is IQ?
I Read This
September 23, 2018, 22:20:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What Good Is IQ?  (Read 6383 times)
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 19:59:34 EDT »

The thing is that idiot-savants can usually see the links way before anyone else can. It depends on exactly how narrow their savantism goes.
I'm strongly doubtful of that claim.  Idiot Savants are NOT known for making innovative discoveries, or being associated with scientific fields at all.  Their skills usually consist of exceptional memory storage/retrieval.

Understand I'm using the term literally, someone like John Nash is NOT an idiot savant, even if he was indeed mentally unstable.  Even the person your grandmother knew doesn't sound like a true idiot savant, probably a partial one, partial enough that he can actually apply his savantism to a complex field.

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 19:15:19 EDT »

Well, like I said, it depends on how narrow the field is that they display savantism in. If we're talking about a guy who can spit out cube roots near instantly, whilst being functionally retarded, then there's not going to be any research on that person's CV.

On the other hand, if someone can make an organic molecule jump and dance, they're likely to be able to see links that no-one else can, even if they're "academically slow" in all areas barring organic chemistry.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: