Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
[BLOG] My Turn
I Read This
September 26, 2018, 00:23:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: [BLOG] My Turn  (Read 23770 times)
Manufacturing Dissent
Survivor of a year in France
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

« on: January 21, 2009, 14:51:55 EST »

http://www.idrewthis.org/2009/01/my-turn.html

I guess the blog will be without content for the foreseeable future...

"If it had not been for the discontent of a few fellows who had not been satisfied with their conditions, you would still be living in caves. Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.

Progress is born of agitation. It is agitation or stagnation."
     -Eugene Debs (1855- 1926)
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 16:35:45 EST »

http://www.idrewthis.org/2009/01/my-turn.html

I guess the blog will be without content for the foreseeable future...

Seagul is right Blogs feed of of journalism, but is wrong that that journalism must come from news paers and wire, the death of those mediums does not not mean the death of journalism that needs to be/can be distilled.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Current
Pundit

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:41:00 EST »

Seagul is right Blogs feed of of journalism, but is wrong that that journalism must come from news paers and wire, the death of those mediums does not not mean the death of journalism that needs to be/can be distilled.
Exactly.
Hephaestus 16
Political Analyst

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:34:46 EST »

As for how Internet based journalism (and other cultural activities) is to be funded I propose that A modified version of the licence fee that funds the BBC could work.

1. A fee is paid by everybody who has a interent connection
2. This is then pooled
3. Creators of original content (comics/journalism/music/games etc.) who are part of scheme will be funded in proportion to the how much their content is viewed
4. The funding is no way to be effected by the tastes of the people that adminster this system, indeed much of it may be done with no human involvement at all.

"There lies before us, if we choose, continual progress in happiness, knowledge and wisdom. Shall we, instead, choose death, because we cannot forget our quarrels? We appeal as human beings, to human beings: Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. If you can do so, the way lies open to a new Paradise: if you cannot, there lies before you the risk of universal death." - Bertrand russell
please click these
Current
Pundit

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:25:49 EST »

As for how Internet based journalism (and other cultural activities) is to be funded I propose that A modified version of the licence fee that funds the BBC could work.

1. A fee is paid by everybody who has a interent connection
2. This is then pooled
3. Creators of original content (comics/journalism/music/games etc.) who are part of scheme will be funded in proportion to the how much their content is viewed
4. The funding is no way to be effected by the tastes of the people that adminster this system, indeed much of it may be done with no human involvement at all.
But many people don't use the internet to read blogs.  Why should they be forced to fund the activities of others, this is nothing but taxation.

Also, once the money is pooled who says who gets what proportion of it?  Obviously that has to be a political decision.

The License fee is a bad idea, and this is a bad idea too.
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 16:30:28 EST »

the Liance Fee is a Great idea. but it a bad case here simple due to the international nature of the internet

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Current
Pundit

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 07:57:52 EST »

the Liance Fee is a Great idea. but it a bad case here simple due to the international nature of the internet
This is how the license fee works.  If a person owns a machine capable of receiving TV signals then they have to pay an annual fee to the state on pain of breaking criminal law.  Do you seriously think this is a great idea?

Personally I think it's disgraceful that an individual is charged by force for a service they may not even desire.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 12:30:22 EST »

I'm less concerned with the force and more concerned with the tendancy for such things to quickly become propaganda machines.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Ihlosi
Political Analyst

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 13:34:54 EST »

I'm less concerned with the force and more concerned with the tendancy for such things to quickly become propaganda machines.

Well, the reasoning behind the "public radio/tv" fee is to prevent exactly that by making it independent of short-term whims of the government (as it would be if it were tax-funded - the current ruling party could just threaten to cut the funding if the media in question broadcast content that the party disagreed with).
Current
Pundit

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 15:34:53 EST »

Well, the reasoning behind the "public radio/tv" fee is to prevent exactly that by making it independent of short-term whims of the government (as it would be if it were tax-funded - the current ruling party could just threaten to cut the funding if the media in question broadcast content that the party disagreed with).
But, in countries with license fees the government determine the law surrounding them, and they depend upon that law.  So, even if they are notionally independent they cannot be independent in fact.

For example, in the UK several Labour Lords have being caught offering to take fees in exchange for altering inconvenient laws.  On the BBC website there is only a small text link to the story on the UK news page.  When members of the Conservative government in the late 90s offered to take fees in exchange for asking questions in parliament the BBC made a big thing about it.  It was "Sleaze" and often a prominent news item.  News broadcasts regularly mentioned investigations as they proceeded.  The BBC political correspondent in this current story though described the situation as a "grey area".

The reasons for this are quite simple.  The Labour party are solid supporters of the BBC, they support maintaining and increasing the license fee and possibly increasing it's remit to other sorts of electronic device.  The Conservative party though have from time-to-time talked about preventing the license fee from rising too much, and about "value for money".  Some in the Conservative party have talked about privatizing the BBC.

Because of dynamics like this the political parties exercise a great deal of influence over the BBC.  There are also other sorts of "back door" influences.  For example, the government can prefer to give interviews and leaks to other media sources. There is also the constant regulatory questions hanging over satellite TV, digital TV and commercial channels.
Current
Pundit

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 10:18:14 EST »

A little necroposting for those who still like the idea of license fees.

The UK's national debt has increased by a large amount, reportedly £1.5 trillion, due to bank nationalizations and bailouts.

Obnoxio points to the media reaction on his blog.  The Times, The Telegraph, The Independent and The Guardian all lead with this story on their websites.  That is all the serious national newspapers -left and right- put the story prominently on their website.  Try finding the story on the BBC website.
rwpikul
Pundit

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 01:11:20 EST »

A little necroposting for those who still like the idea of license fees.

The UK's national debt has increased by a large amount, reportedly £1.5 trillion, due to bank nationalizations and bailouts.

Obnoxio points to the media reaction on his blog.  The Times, The Telegraph, The Independent and The Guardian all lead with this story on their websites.  That is all the serious national newspapers -left and right- put the story prominently on their website.  Try finding the story on the BBC website.

Took me less than 2 minutes to find it not knowing anything about the bbc.com layout.

Given that it is part of the lead story in UK politics and is also listed under business, had I known the layout of the site I would have found it in both of the first two places I would have looked.

As for top story billing:  A little bit of looking implies that the BBC, like the CBC and CNN, changes their front page lead several times per day, (and thus it would not surprise me if the financial story _had_ been given the lead).

--

Chakat Firepaw - Inventor & Scientist (Mad)
Current
Pundit

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 06:48:00 EST »

I looked at the BBC news website several times yesterday.  If it was the lead story it wasn't for very long.

I still can't find it in the UK politics or business sections this morning.
rwpikul
Pundit

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 00:38:56 EST »

I looked at the BBC news website several times yesterday.  If it was the lead story it wasn't for very long.

I still can't find it in the UK politics or business sections this morning.

Like the Independent, the BBC didn't use the BIG NUMBER in the headline, instead headlining the loss in tax revenue.  If you still want to discount that, you also have to discount the Independent, because they headlined government borrowing.

I do have to wonder if you are looking very hard because, although it has been pushed to "More from politics", it's still right on the UK Politics main page as I type this.

--

Chakat Firepaw - Inventor & Scientist (Mad)
Current
Pundit

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 09:28:15 EST »

The decrease in tax revenue is a completely separate issue.  The huge increase in the national debt has been caused by nationalizing banks not by the fall in tax revenue which only accounts for a few tens of billion of the increase.  I see that they have mentioned it in that article.  So, I suppose they have talked about it, but it's hidden in another article about a different issue.

I see your point about the Independent story.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: