Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Bye Bye Beagle
I Read This
July 18, 2018, 23:57:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bye Bye Beagle  (Read 15107 times)
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2009, 23:17:16 EST »

See, I reserve the terminology for pseudoscience to disciplines which mimic scientific studies but are not actually science (Archeology, Anthropology, Economics, yadda-yadda), so I am not willing to use it for lazy sensationalistic table-pounding.  Good things can come of pseudo-science, even if it tends to attract a less then critical crowd.

I do not give the same level of potential to folks like Suzuki or Gore.  It's shoddy science, lazily applied with an eye for sensationalism, and I would like there to be a better term for it then "junk", I have fooled around with "garbage" or "vapid" but not enough people know what the word vapid means.

I understand the objection, as the word has some nasty history, but it just makes such a nice sound-bite *chews knuckles* it's like crack, using simplistic terms like that, but it avoids the blank stare when you use the word Antiquated.

That's really the word I want, or Obsolete.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2009, 23:28:03 EST »

That's why I like decision science.  Its logic is this:

1. Economists make wild hypotheses that claim people do this or that, meaning that their model will bring utopia to everyone.
2. Decision scientists design an experiment to see whether or not people actually do this or that in practice, doing their best to eliminate extraneous variables.
3. People do not do this or that.
4. Decisions scientists conclude that economists are full of shit, and may or may not come up with a hypothesis of their own to test.

Every decision science article I read is full of studies/experiments relating to the hypotheses it is considering and critiquing, rather than just making assertions and expecting me to believe it.

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 01:58:55 EST »

See, I reserve the terminology for pseudoscience to disciplines which mimic scientific studies but are not actually science (Archeology, Anthropology, Economics, yadda-yadda), so I am not willing to use it for lazy sensationalistic table-pounding.  Good things can come of pseudo-science, even if it tends to attract a less then critical crowd.

I do not give the same level of potential to folks like Suzuki or Gore.  It's shoddy science, lazily applied with an eye for sensationalism, and I would like there to be a better term for it then "junk", I have fooled around with "garbage" or "vapid" but not enough people know what the word vapid means.

I understand the objection, as the word has some nasty history, but it just makes such a nice sound-bite *chews knuckles* it's like crack, using simplistic terms like that, but it avoids the blank stare when you use the word Antiquated.

That's really the word I want, or Obsolete.

Well, if you want to be thought of as an unscientific PR goon, that's your prerogative. Just thought you'd like to know exactly what you're telling everyone though.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 08:14:43 EST »

Well, my closest political ally calls himself "The Hatchetman" so I'm not sure there's any illusion about goondom.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Current
Pundit

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 08:20:39 EST »

Wodan.  Have you compared what you are saying here to Manufacturing Dissent to what you are saying to me in the "I love Blago" thread?
Yes, however, I do not see the contradiction.  I believe that if the public were to be politically active and hold government accountable and the like, we can fix things, but that won't happen overnight.  It will be a slow and painful process.  I'm not some flowery idealist who expects the work to magically get itself done.  Step by step, step by step.
I realise that.

What I mean is have you compared your characterization of the democractic process in this thread to the one you gave of it in the other thread?

Anyway, I'm writing a reply to your posts in that thread.
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 19:04:19 EST »

Well, my closest political ally calls himself "The Hatchetman" so I'm not sure there's any illusion about goondom.

Just as long as you don't mind the "unscientific PR" bit of it either.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: