Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Whale Wars
I Read This
November 18, 2018, 20:25:56 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Whale Wars  (Read 4808 times)
Aeron
Political Commentator

What?

« on: January 09, 2009, 00:13:44 EST »

I watched the first season of Animal Planet's show Whale Wars last month and it was quite epic. It documents the escapades of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society as they do all they can to get in the way of Japanese whaling in the southern ocean. Sea Shepherd has a long history of controversial direct action against whaling, and has actually sunk pirate whaling ships in the past, with no casualties afaik.

Interesting group. I daresay I support what they're doing now, though some of their past actions are more sketchy. Especially after watching Whale Wars and the documentary Sharkwater, the latter of which I highly recommend everyone to watch. What do people here think of them?

edit: clarifications; slight change in opinion after further research
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:55:53 EST by Aeron » Logged
Hazel
New Political Commentator

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 12:38:27 EST »

I've seen a few episodes and it was interesting but I have to question the intelligence of taking a group of untrained people out on dangerous waters to chase whaling ships.  I'm also unsure of how exactly legal their actions are.
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 17:58:51 EST »

I've seen a few episodes and it was interesting but I have to question the intelligence of taking a group of untrained people out on dangerous waters to chase whaling ships.  I'm also unsure of how exactly legal their actions are.

Well, in the spirit of this particular weekend, how legal were Martin Luther King Jr.'s actions?

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 21:38:17 EST »

That's not in the spirit of the weekend at all.

Obama has nothing to do with Martin Luther King, his ancestors were not slaves, and he does not come from a lower class background.  There is not one group called "black" which exists worldwide, and there is no amazing racial repentance which has occurred here.

Sorry, but no, that kind of talk has always been a sidestep way to play the race card and we should deem that talking point beneath intelligent people.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Aeron
Political Commentator

What?

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 21:53:03 EST »

Yeah, I have to agree with you that they are being foolish by going into Antarctic waters and executing dangerous maneuvers (like launching a zodiac from a moving vessel) with a rookie crew. From watching the series, I could spot several huge problems that could have been avoided if the crew had just known what the hell they were doing. (And this is coming from a person with only two weeks worth of experience sailing.)

As far as the legality of their actions... They're just about as legal as the Japanese fleet's whaling activities.

And I'm positively bubbling over this new news from this year's campaign:

The Japanese whaling vessel the Yushin Maru #2, the second of the whaling fleet's three harpoon ships, fled from the Sea Shepherd ship the M/V Steve Irwin a few weeks ago.... and into heavy ice. Their prop got chewed to shit, and they were forced to limp at less than half flank speed all the way from Antarctic waters all the way to an Indonesian port (they are barred from Australian and New Zealand ports because of their illegal whaling activities, and this year they were caught by Sea Shepherd whaling in a whale sanctuary designated by Australia) Now, after animal rights groups in Indonesia found the harpoon vessel in port at Surabaya and communicated with Sea Shepherd, Indonesian authorities, and Australian authorities, the Yushin Maru #2 has been denied repairs AND KICKED OUT OF PORT by Indonesia. The hilarious thing is that Japan tried to get Australia to deny Sea Shepherd from entering Australian ports for refueling this year, and Australia ignored their request.
http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-090115-1.html

Hopefully this will put an even bigger dent in ICR's catch this year than last year. The problem is Greenpeace didn't send any ships down this year, so it's just the Steve Irwin all alone vs. the whalers.
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 04:03:45 EST »

They're trained. I've talked to them, when they stopped off in Melbourne before heading for Antarctica to chase the Japanese fleet.

Legal? No. Not at all. They've been taken to court several times, mainly by the Japanese and Finnish governments. Right? Definitely.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 15:54:48 EST »

That's not in the spirit of the weekend at all.

Obama has nothing to do with Martin Luther King, his ancestors were not slaves, and he does not come from a lower class background.  There is not one group called "black" which exists worldwide, and there is no amazing racial repentance which has occurred here.

Sorry, but no, that kind of talk has always been a sidestep way to play the race card and we should deem that talking point beneath intelligent people.

Martin Luther King day is on Monday.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Aeron
Political Commentator

What?

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 16:03:08 EST »

They're trained. I've talked to them, when they stopped off in Melbourne before heading for Antarctica to chase the Japanese fleet.

Legal? No. Not at all. They've been taken to court several times, mainly by the Japanese and Finnish governments. Right? Definitely.

Really? That's awesome.

I'd love to meet some of them someday. I'd also love to volunteer as a deckhand on one of their ships, but that'll probably never happen.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 17:49:38 EST »

I thought MLK day was sometime in the late year.

*shrugs*

Show's how much I care about the movement, I suspect.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 19:06:09 EST »

Really? That's awesome.

I'd love to meet some of them someday. I'd also love to volunteer as a deckhand on one of their ships, but that'll probably never happen.

If you're willing to go, they'll train you up and take you on board. It does mean putting your life on hold while you're crewing for them, but if you wanted to get into logistics or shipboard engineering, it's less of an imposition.

But that's what I'll do

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Aeron
Political Commentator

What?

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 19:27:38 EST »

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-090220-1.html

Damn. Sea Shepherd had just returned from the arctic, mainly because they caught wind that Japan was allegedly sending a coast guard vessel with boarding personnel after them with orders to seize the Steve Irwin, her crew, and all of Animal Planet's video footage... They obviously don't want another season of Whale Wars to air and continue to turn the public against them. Now it turns out that Australia has seized all of the video footage from this year's campaign. I don't know if it is Australia folding to Japanese demands and simply taking the video footage so it can't get out, Australia planning on prosecuting Sea Shepherd, or Australia planning on using the video footage as evidence of the Japanese fleet's flagrant trespass and violation of the Australian Whale Sanctuary.

Sea Shepherd's press release seems oddly sanguine about this development.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 19:29:14 EST by Aeron » Logged
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 19:02:42 EST »

The last, probably. Australia has, in the past, offered Perth as a home port for Sea Sheperd's activities. Additionally, they were allowed entry into Port Phillip bay to restock and recruit new members before continuing on to attack Japanese whaling vessels in the Antarctic. They were very explicit about what they were going to be doing, too, so it's not like Australia could front up at the IWC and say "we didn't know what they were doing!"

But that's what I'll do

Yes...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: