Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
To those of you who've been following British current affairs...
I Read This
September 24, 2018, 01:45:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: To those of you who've been following British current affairs...  (Read 2468 times)
Current
Pundit

« on: December 03, 2008, 08:02:04 EST »

I thought this was pretty funny.  These days you don't have to be very subtle.

purplecat
Mad Scientist
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 14:14:01 EST »

Meh, Matt is never even the slightest bit subtle.

And isn't it strange? The only time MPs are even slightly concerned with the country slipping towards a police state is when one of their own is threatened.

And he's guilty anyway.

Purplecat: Keeper of the political compass thread. Want to be on the graph? post your results here

Me: (No, seriously, this entire forum has the attention span of an..... oooh! shiny!)
Current
Pundit

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 15:26:48 EST »

Meh, Matt is never even the slightest bit subtle.

And isn't it strange? The only time MPs are even slightly concerned with the country slipping towards a police state is when one of their own is threatened.
It is rather predictable isn't it.  I think it demonstrates the main point of public choice theory very nicely parliament does first not what is best for the citizenry but what is best for parliament.  It's enough to make one think that maybe all those classical liberals had a point Wink.

And he's guilty anyway.
That's quite likely.

I'm pleased this has happened either way, because it has woken parliament up a bit.  They will think about this stuff a bit more carefully in the future.  Also, the Torys will look like hypocrites if they do the same thing if they enter power.
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 17:31:34 EST »

It is rather predictable isn't it.  I think it demonstrates the main point of public choice theory very nicely parliament does first not what is best for the citizenry but what is best for parliament.
Which is why it is vital to ensure that what's best for parliament is doing what's best for the citizenry.  There is little point to a democracy where no one votes or cares about the state of the government, or insist that there is nothing they can do.

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
Current
Pundit

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:59:35 EST »

It is rather predictable isn't it.  I think it demonstrates the main point of public choice theory very nicely parliament does first not what is best for the citizenry but what is best for parliament.
Which is why it is vital to ensure that what's best for parliament is doing what's best for the citizenry.  There is little point to a democracy where no one votes or cares about the state of the government, or insist that there is nothing they can do.
Certainly.  But the people must not be over ambitious in what they think the can control through parliament.  There is very little that the electorate can actually do, so government should be severely restricted in what it can do.

What we must do is encourage everyone to have realistically low expectations.  Government will always be corrupt and it will always be bad, it will always act in the interests of certain groups and arbitrarily tread on the interests of others. That is all we can ever hope for.  But even given that there is still the possibility of government that is better than no government.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: