Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Canada: who's in charge now?
I Read This
September 23, 2018, 22:46:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada: who's in charge now?  (Read 5046 times)
purplecat
Mad Scientist
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

« on: December 02, 2008, 17:41:08 EST »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7760506.stm

This could end up with yet another election being called.

Purplecat: Keeper of the political compass thread. Want to be on the graph? post your results here

Me: (No, seriously, this entire forum has the attention span of an..... oooh! shiny!)
thomasdean
Talking Head

On Sabbatical in Italy!!

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 18:01:59 EST »

More Info:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/11/28/f-faq-coalition.html
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2008/12/01/coalition-talks.html
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/12/02/question-period.html

We finally have a chance to get rid of shrub north. Latest news from
most constitutional experts is that the coalition should get the go ahead.
The current government has yet to pass a bill of attainder, so has not
demonstrated confidence. There is some argument as to weather the
throne speech counts, since the opposition forced an amendment
to the throne speech motion directing the government to respect its minority
position.

However, it may be political suicide for the two parties. Canada has not
had a history of coalitions, and the few recent ones at the provincial level
have been punished by the voters later. If they can make a coalition last
until after the financial upheaval, then they may survive re-election. If they
do make it work, then it is rather certain that the Rt. Hn. Harper will have
to resign as leader of the conservative party.

Economic Left/Right: -7.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85
Erdos Number: 4
Quote from: JKR
Ce sont nos choix qui montrent ce que nous sommes vraiment,
beaucoup plus que nos aptitudes.
PyRoFoXiE
Insane, and loving it!
Political Commentator

Dance! Dance!

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 22:19:22 EST »

As much as I dislike Harper, my utter disdain for Liberal Party, the NDP, and the Bloc Quebecois knows no bounds and the very idea of Dion and Layton jumping in the sack with the separatists makes me even angrier. I am praying to the Magical Platypus for one thing: for Alberta and Saskatchewan to collect their senses and secede from Canada because I'm anticipating that the coalition will suck the wealth out of the West to prop up the East as it has been since MacDonald's National Policy.

These developments have me seriously questioning my loyalties to this country because as of right now my loyalty lies with Alberta and not Canada. Because this country no longer deserves my affection or my loyalty.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 00:29:47 EST by PyRoFoXiE » Logged

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever."

-O'Brien,
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

"Shut up! Some of us prefer delusion to despair!"

-Nelson Muntz,
The Simpsons
Manufacturing Dissent
Survivor of a year in France
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 04:29:14 EST »

As much as I dislike Harper, my utter disdain for Liberal Party, the NDP, and the Bloc Quebecois knows no bounds and the very idea of Dion and Layton jumping in the sack with the separatists makes me even angrier. I am praying to the Magical Platypus for one thing: for Alberta and Saskatchewan to collect their senses and secede from Canada because I'm anticipating that the coalition will suck the wealth out of the West to prop up the East as it has been since MacDonald's National Policy.

These developments have me seriously questioning my loyalties to this country because as of right now my loyalty lies with Alberta and not Canada. Because this country no longer deserves my affection or my loyalty.

You're pretty much the opposite of me, then.  I was born and raised in Alberta, and my only loyalty to it is to some of the people living there.  Any province whose electorate can't figure out that voting in a crony of the last premier isn't the way to change the status quo needs to be part of a larger country to keep their idiocity in check.

That said, I don't trust any of the big four parties, but of them all the Conservatives are the one I trust the least, so I'm all for the coalition.  With luck it will work just long enough to hold off an election for a couple years, but poorly enough that they can't pass too many idiotic laws.

"If it had not been for the discontent of a few fellows who had not been satisfied with their conditions, you would still be living in caves. Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.

Progress is born of agitation. It is agitation or stagnation."
     -Eugene Debs (1855- 1926)
PyRoFoXiE
Insane, and loving it!
Political Commentator

Dance! Dance!

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 08:53:49 EST »

You're pretty much the opposite of me, then.  I was born and raised in Alberta, and my only loyalty to it is to some of the people living there.  Any province whose electorate can't figure out that voting in a crony of the last premier isn't the way to change the status quo needs to be part of a larger country to keep their idiocity in check.

Don't look at me. I voted Wildrose Alliance. Tongue Plus, methinks Canada needs Alberta/Saskatchewan more than we need them but we're obviously too chicken to attempt such a stunt unless Dion and Layton do something really stupid.

That said, I don't trust any of the big four parties, but of them all the Conservatives are the one I trust the least, so I'm all for the coalition.  With luck it will work just long enough to hold off an election for a couple years, but poorly enough that they can't pass too many idiotic laws.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Aligning one's self with a separatist party is going to raise a lot of anger among the electorate as well as hurt the interests of the country and knowing the NDP's "stellar" record of running provinces (i.e. Bob Rae's Ontario) I think I have good enough reason to worry for this country's future because to these crankcases. Although perhaps unlikely, I'm hoping for a 1993-style annihilation of the Liberal Party because it'd serve those smug sons 'o guns right for their arrogance. I will be looking forward to seeing this little coalition tear itself to shreds, it'll be more entertaining than an episode of Big Brother.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever."

-O'Brien,

-Nelson Muntz,
The Simpsons
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 11:55:50 EST »

I actually think we could have saved ourselves an image issue had we not insisted on trying to lead this little clusterfuck.  Let Leyton be point-man, it's a mug's game.

That being said, all we've done now is virtually assure a harder-right conservative (someone in the mold of Day) will probably win an overwhelming majority in 2 years.

I, of course, am taking this opportunity to shore up all the support I can find for seperatists in Quebec, Altlantic canada, and the West, as nothing would please me more then to see this country fragment.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
PyRoFoXiE
Insane, and loving it!
Political Commentator

Dance! Dance!

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 12:02:07 EST »

Canadian unity is a myth. It's actually Canadian hegemony.

-O'Brien,

-Nelson Muntz,
The Simpsons
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 18:30:33 EST »

...it'll be more entertaining than an episode of Big Brother.

Are you kidding? Getting dismembered is more entertaining than an episode of Big Brother.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
PyRoFoXiE
Insane, and loving it!
Political Commentator

Dance! Dance!

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 23:11:54 EST »

Looks like Stephen Harper got his wish as Governor General Michelle Jean agreed to prorogue parliament, which buys him another seven weeks. Methinks things are really going to get ugly now. Let the maims begin!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 23:13:27 EST by PyRoFoXiE » Logged

-O'Brien,

-Nelson Muntz,
The Simpsons
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 00:27:43 EST »

Well, I was just talking to a fellow hatchet-man, and we can't come up with a way to align the NDP-Bloc versus Green shift budget.

Unless Dion can be talked out, there is no possible coalition.  Quite frankly, I don't see him giving up his signature issue just so he can be PM for a couple of months, and heavy industry and enviroment are not going to be in bed together soon.

It was kind of nice when I got an email from Greenpeace within seconds of getting one from the local industrialists.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Jeremy
Political Commentator

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 07:39:17 EST »

Oh, how I long for the days when anyone who questioned the government was a paranoid freak or a traitor. All these people, strutting around and crowing as though they knew more about practical politics and constitutional law than the professionals.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 11:18:38 EST »

To be fair, the government has rarely known very much about constitutional law, and many of the people wobbling around pointing out how utterly fucked the system is -are- the professionals.

Jeremy
Political Commentator

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 01:08:21 EST »

These kids, with their "politicians suck" and their "they don't know nuthin' " and their "Hope and change" and their crappy music and their ill-fitting shirts and their non-gum-related trading cards. What happened to "don't make waves"? What happened to "keep your head down and make some money"? What happened to people wearing fancy hats? What happened to sitcoms set in rural areas?

I'm a Red Tory, a High Church Anglican, an Ontarioan and an Establishmentarian, and I like things just the damned way they are. Unless I get money off change.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: