Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
An "I live in a bubble" moment
I Read This
September 19, 2018, 12:59:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: An "I live in a bubble" moment  (Read 7446 times)
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« on: November 28, 2008, 21:17:55 EST »

So yesterday I had an Ivory tower bubble moment.  For those of you who haven't had one, it goes something like this.

R: *casual conversation* "Yeah, standoff is still going on in India"
Heq: "...hmmmm...."
R: "What are you thinking?"
Heq:  "I'm thinking land values have to be plummetting in India right now, risky, because of renewed tensions with palestine, but as a hold and keep, an excellent buying opportunity is coming up.  I mean, there's severe land limitations, and India will come back from this fairly strong."
R: *look of terror*
Heq:  *looks bewildered and wonders why R is so agast*

Do these moments happen to anyone else?

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 22:39:48 EST »

No, because unlike you, we are not horrible terrible people with charcoal for a soul.  Though Boring7's soul is made out of all those nuns he ate.

Nah, but that's because I generally keep such thoughts to myself.  Most people in the world are both idiots and unhappy, and I've questioned whether or not the net happiness of the world would go up if large sections of the world were glassed.

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
purplecat
Mad Scientist
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 07:59:49 EST »

You know, the look of terror could have been because they were aghast because you thought that India has a whole load of trouble with Palestine (2,500 miles away) rather than Pakistan (right next door).

Purplecat: Keeper of the political compass thread. Want to be on the graph? post your results here

Me: (No, seriously, this entire forum has the attention span of an..... oooh! shiny!)
Andrei
Political Analyst

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 09:24:17 EST »

Quote from: Heq
So yesterday I had an Ivory tower bubble moment.
(...)
Do these moments happen to anyone else?
You kidding me? Whenever I hear the word "group", I associate it with something completely different from what 99% of people associate it with.

It actually happenned once that, upon hearing the expression "group of people", I actually wondered what cancellation rules apply in those cases...

He looked severely at me for awhile, then, grabbing his moustaches, he said:
- Boss, with all due respect, you are naive and pedant.

"Alexis Zorba", by Nikos Kazantzakis (translation mine)
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 00:06:05 EST »

purplecat-  Yeah, that was because my mind has a tendancy to wander when I type here, and when I speak as well.  I actually do think the root issue is Palestine, not Pakistan, as it's Israel which drives this whole chain of fuckwhackedness (The world's problems have two sources, the middle east and England) within America.

No Palestine problem, no power behind the Wahabist movement, no juice in that car, no Osama, no Osama no American involvement in Pakistani politics (well, more then their usual ham-handedness), chugga-chugga-chugga.  If only Kook Junior had been more like his father this all could have just washed away.

Damn epilepsy.  Why are you always causing trouble for the world and making god appear?  *shakes his fist*

So in the end by evening I'd likely be muttering to myself about epilepsy and no-one would have a clue what I was on about, but that's okay because I can still predict world markets, and that's really the only reason anyone from outside intelligensia ever talks to me.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
rwpikul
Pundit

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 03:20:25 EST »

No Palestine problem, no power behind the Wahabist movement, no juice in that car, no Osama, no Osama no American involvement in Pakistani politics (well, more then their usual ham-handedness), chugga-chugga-chugga.  If only Kook Junior had been more like his father this all could have just washed away.

You missed something:

...but still issues over Kashmir and India's support of East Pakistani separatists.

Pakistan and India don't need any help to be at each other's throats, foreign involvement has actually tended to calm things down.

--

Chakat Firepaw - Inventor & Scientist (Mad)
Ibian
Political Analyst

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 07:41:45 EST »

Funny, i think in much the same way Heq does except that its the americans im interested in. This is funny because a lot of you are going to be very upset over it and call me all sorts of bad things, and yet investments from cynical outsiders is one of the things that will help fix your economy.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 14:31:46 EST »

rwp-  Yep, I mean, countries still have turf wars, but Terror is the way to dispute that is currently in fashion.  It's a much less civil way to be dicks about a border, but the real issue with India is the slow collapse of Hinduism and the clusterfuck that Ghandi left in his wake (seriously, religion=good, science=bad is an almost universal method of screwjobbing your country), if Hinduism had held, then Indcia would still have an idealogical core, but having self-identified themselves as a religious nation they have little pivot room when stuff goes tits up.

Not that I'm against religion as a concept, but as a national ideal it creates issues.

joshbrenton
Active Libertarian
Political Analyst

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 20:25:14 EST »

You know, they interviewed one of the surviving terrorists who was captured, and he basically said that they were planning to create a "9/11 in India." Unbelievable. And these monsters didn't spare anyone; women, children, elderly. I hope India strikes back hard and drives these murderous thugs straight to hell as soon as possible.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 20:57:06 EST »

I'm not sure that's the right tactic right now.

Probably what will happen, but that kind of stuff spirals pretty quick and then you realize all you've really done is killed a mess of innocents and made a pantload more terrorists.  Militaries just don't do this sort of stuff well, all blunt hammer and smash, no soft touch and poisoned wine.

Driving the movement into oblivion is what England tried to do with Ireland, and wow, did that fail.  Or Hadrian with the Jews, if you like your failed policies extreme.  The best way to deal with these issues has historically been to choke them out, find out what issues are the push-button ones that cause people to sympathise and work hard to make the ideals of the group anathema to your socially disadvantaged.  Irregular warfare requires a degree of tacit permission from at least a section of the population, and, to be fair, India has long been setting itself up for this with the horrific caste system and general oppression of Muslims.

It may sound cruel to say, but if you act like a dick to your underclass (or a foreign group), eventually you're going to get one in the chops.

wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 00:21:32 EST »

You know, they interviewed one of the surviving terrorists who was captured, and he basically said that they were planning to create a "9/11 in India." Unbelievable. And these monsters didn't spare anyone; women, children, elderly. I hope India strikes back hard and drives these murderous thugs straight to hell as soon as possible.
You just because the ocean drowns people doesn't mean you should go punch it.  Between the choice of doing what is right and what is pragmatic, I'd do what is pragmatic, because that is going to be more right in the end*.

*assuming the pragmatism considered the long term

Current
Pundit

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 06:44:27 EST »

Whatever is done must be done carefully and with consideration.  That has been the problem with much of the action against terrorism in recent times.
joshbrenton
Active Libertarian
Political Analyst

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:09:18 EST »

I'm sorry, but when a group attacks civilians, women and children who aren't active in the military, then I really think you need to come down hard on that group. Because it's clear that they are inhuman and have no regard for the lives of innocents.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 11:14:55 EST »

Odd, I make the same remarks about Imperial governments, clealry inhuman, which is why we should allow the murdering of the English and American, and just to be sure, those of English decent.  After all, many of them still proport to enjoy tea-time, a clear sign of tacit agreement with the existance of empires.

For some reason my government, full of wussy pissy liberals like that softie Steven Harper (of the Conservative [Christian] party) refuses to allow me to strike back against imperialism.

wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 11:37:25 EST »

I'm sorry, but when a group attacks civilians, women and children who aren't active in the military, then I really think you need to come down hard on that group. Because it's clear that they are inhuman and have no regard for the lives of innocents.
Stop speaking nonsense please.  They have reasons for what they are doing, and I won't stand by while you dehumanize an enemy, because you know what, that's exactly what they did to you.  To go to their level is to become little different from them, and when we lose the moral high ground, those who were teetering on the edge will also start dehumanizing us and becoming terrorists as well.

All those troops that died in Iraq lately?  A very large portion of them died because the US tortured people.  That's what happens when you drop to their level.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: