Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Music with Meaning
I Read This
December 11, 2018, 14:20:24 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Music with Meaning  (Read 968 times)
Aeron
Political Commentator

What?

« on: November 27, 2008, 23:53:45 EST »

On the subject of good music: What are some of your favorite songs, that besides sounding really good, carry meaning that deeply resonates with you? Songs whose synergy of sound and meaning can bring you to tears... or lift you out of deep sadness when you listen to them.

One that I love is Standing Outside the Fire by Garth Brooks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si1a4dz42tk

I was going to give a quick description myself, but I found this post by someone else on another site that explains it better than I ever could: (quote below)

Quote from: Muthos
I agree with Philomathetes. Kyriel, you seem to have misunderstood that “hot” or “dancing within the flame” and “cool” or “standing outside the fire” are primarily metaphors for the intensity of one’s passion, and only secondarily comments on one’s social standing. “Dancing within the flame” (hot) means being full of passion, taking risks romantically, and putting one’s heart and soul on the line for love. It may be foolish, it may make one weak, vulnerable, it may lead to sorrow and shame, to getting the opposite of what you hoped to get. “Standing outside the fire” (cool) means playing it safe romantically, always staying in control of oneself, protecting oneself and one’s feelings, and always carefully thinking things through. It may successfully prevent one’s heart from being damaged, lead to a fierce independence and internal strength, or prevent someone from getting emotionally destroyed.

However, despite the risks involved with “dancing within the flame” and the judgment of many that it is better not to take romantic risks and “face the world alone,” Garth advocates taking the risk, letting one’s passions soar, and putting one’s heart on the line for love. While one has to be a tough person to risk being rejected or having their heart broken or being destroyed by their uncontrollable romantic passions, these are the only people who truly LIVE. Surviving, by never letting oneself feel passionately about another or by being too cautious, is not living. “Life is not tried, it is merely survived, if you’re standing outside the fire”. One should get in touch with that fire in one’s own soul, the love which, while uncontrollable and dangerous, is what gives life purpose, direction, and meaning. Those who try too hard to control their love are bound to miss the best things that real living has to offer.

Edit: I might as well mention this song as well, also by Garth Brooks. The Change: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFfZmzgdpZQ This one really does make me cry, especially if watching the music video. I don't think any explanation is needed.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 00:15:04 EST by Aeron » Logged
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 11:44:52 EST »

Amerika- Rammstein (Simplistic, but perhaps one of the most honest songs I've ever heard, we are indeed all living in Amerika, good for getting going in the day)

Up Up Up Up-  Ani Difranco (Just because even I have sappy moments)

I Like to Watch-  Church of Euthanasia (Always makes me laugh)

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: