Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Obama jokes
I Read This
May 26, 2018, 07:54:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama jokes  (Read 10364 times)
joshbrenton
Active Libertarian
Political Analyst

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 16:50:54 EST »

Mallard Fillmore is nothing but a conservative "Doonesbury." Nothing but haughty, biased political rhetoric in place of humor. I really wish both Trudeau and Tinsley would retire so the spaces their strips take up could be replaced by new comics that are actually good.
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 18:56:11 EST »

Errm... if Trudeau and Tinsley retired, you'd get a Dilbert knock off. Or worse, a For Better Or Worse knock off. The newspaper funnies section is not the place to find "actually good" comics. It's the place to find "have worked in the past" comics.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Andrei
Political Analyst

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 22:13:28 EST »

Quote from: joshbrenton
Let's compile a list of truly clever Obama jokes to prepare us for the next four years. Can we make them funny? Yes we can!
I might try my hand at it... if I get ideas. But I'll wait for him to actually do something dumb.

I'm guessing that's what the comedians are doing too...

Quote from: joshbrenton
Mallard Fillmore is nothing but a conservative "Doonesbury." Nothing but haughty, biased political rhetoric in place of humor.
Don't know much about Fillmore, but some of the early Doonesburies were quite funny. Lately though, while most of the strips aren't political (they actually published what percentage was completely unpolitical and it was the huge majority), they're bland and uninspired.

He looked severely at me for awhile, then, grabbing his moustaches, he said:
- Boss, with all due respect, you are naive and pedant.

"Alexis Zorba", by Nikos Kazantzakis (translation mine)
hitchkitty
Political Analyst

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 00:08:36 EST »

Med, I spent the last 8 years riding Bush into the ground for blowing pantloads of money doing stupid things while openly mocking the constitution, Obama deserves at least three months.

You started in on Bush the moment he was declared President-Elect?
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 12:05:43 EST »

wodan,  I view elections as merely job interviews.  When I look at someone on paper, it clearly helps thier case if they have done it before and succeeded.  That being said, it hurts their case if they have tried before and failed miserably.

To me that encapulates this past election.  Both preached change, one had tried and failed through his whole life, and one has never tried.  I would prefer someone who has tried and succeeded, but he was a crazy Mormon guy who's other views scare the piss out of me.
On what basis do you make that statement?  I Obama was plenty successful in doing what he speaks, and being successful in his actions.  I mean, just look at what wikipedia says

Quote from: Wikipedia
Obama graduated with a B.A. from Columbia in 1983, then at the start of the following year worked for a year at the Business International Corporation[17][18] and then at the New York Public Interest Research Group.[19][20]

After four years in New York City, Obama moved to Chicago, where he was hired as director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Greater Roseland (Roseland, West Pullman, and Riverdale) on Chicago's far South Side. He worked there for three years from June 1985 to May 1988.[19][21] During his three years as the DCP's director, its staff grew from one to thirteen and its annual budget grew from $70,000 to $400,000. Achievements included helping set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants' rights organization in Altgeld Gardens.[22] Obama also worked as a consultant and instructor for the Gamaliel Foundation, a community organizing institute.[23] In mid-1988, he traveled for the first time to Europe for three weeks and then for five weeks in Kenya, where he met many of his paternal relatives for the first time.[24]

Obama entered Harvard Law School in late 1988. Based on his grades and a writing competition, at the end of his first year he was selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review.[25] In February 1990, in his second year, Obama was elected president of the Law Review, a full-time volunteer position functioning as editor-in-chief and supervising the Law Review's staff of eighty editors. He was the first African American to be elected to that position.[26] Obama's election as the first black president of the Law Review was widely reported and followed by several long, detailed profiles in national media.[26] During his summers, he returned to Chicago where he worked as a summer associate at the law firms of Sidley & Austin in 1989 and Hopkins & Sutter in 1990.[27] After graduating with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) magna cum laude[28][29] from Harvard in 1991, he returned to Chicago.[25]

The publicity from his election as the first black president of the Harvard Law Review led to a publishing contract and advance for a book about race relations.[30] In an effort to recruit him to their faculty, the University of Chicago Law School provided Obama with a fellowship and an office to work on his book.[30] He originally planned to finish the book in one year, but it took much longer as the book evolved into a personal memoir. In order to work without interruptions, Obama and his wife, Michelle, traveled to Bali where he wrote for several months. The manuscript was finally published in mid-1995 as Dreams from My Father.[30]

Obama directed Illinois' Project Vote from April to October 1992, a voter registration drive with a staff of ten and seven hundred volunteers; it achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African Americans in the state, and led to Crain's Chicago Business naming Obama to its 1993 list of "40 under Forty" powers to be.[31][32]

Economics are not purely hindsight, you can look at a balance sheet and say "How do you see this playing out" and if the response is "I dunno, I guess it'll work." it deserves a facepalm.
I didn't mean that Obama should operate in hindsight, but that we should be.  Also remember that before he becomes president, he doesn't have access to all the information, and he hasn't gotten all the financial/economic advisors set up.  As such, his plan is at the best a rough draft and at the worst a general direction.  Until he gets people like Geithner working on an actual plan, its rather difficult to judge what he intends to do.

Med, I spent the last 8 years riding Bush into the ground for blowing pantloads of money doing stupid things while openly mocking the constitution, Obama deserves at least three months.

You started in on Bush the moment he was declared President-Elect?
Why not before?  It was pretty obvious from the start that Bush was at the best of times average, and the worst of times dangerous.

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 13:41:27 EST »

Here's a good Obama Joke.

November 18, 2008
Obama’s Use of Complete Sentences Stirs Controversy
Stunning Break with Last Eight Years

In the first two weeks since the election,  President-elect Barack Obama has broken with a tradition established over the past eight years through his controversial  use of complete sentences, political observers say.  Millions of Americans who watched Mr. Obama's appearance on CBS' "Sixty Minutes" on Sunday witnessed the president-elect's unorthodox verbal tick, which had Mr. Obama employing grammatically correct  sentences virtually every time he opened his mouth.  But Mr.  Obama's decision to use complete sentences in his public pronouncements carries with it certain risks, since after the  last eight years many Americans may find his odd speaking style  jarring.  According to presidential historian Davis Logsdon of  the University of  Minnesota, some Americans might find it  "alienating" to have a President who speaks English as if it were his first language.  "Every time Obama opens his mouth, his subjects and verbs are in agreement," says Mr.  Logsdon.  "If he keeps it up, he is running the risk of sounding like an elitist."

The historian said that if Mr.  Obama insists on using complete sentences in his speeches, the public may find itself saying, "Okay, subject, predicate, subject predicate - we get it, stop showing off."  The President-elect's stubborn insistence on using complete  sentences has already attracted a rebuke from one of his harshest critics, Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska.  "Talking with complete sentences there and also too talking in a way that ordinary Americans like Joe the Plumber and Tito the Builder can't really do
there, I think needing to do that isn't tapping  into what Americans are needing also," she said.

Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 16:08:33 EST »

Hitch, before, actually.  It's 8 years an a bit.  I was just starting my life in political spheres back then, but I knew enough to be disgusted at the goings on in Florida.  I'm still bitter.

No-one will watch the movie recount with me, as I can come up with expletives that make people's ears bleed.  I wasn't a huge Gore fan, and I did like Bush's international non-interferance stance (how quickly that got ditched), but the fact that he wasn't interested in sitting down with Gore in any real way and finding out just who really won enfuriated me.  That is maybe the only thing I really believe, if you're going to have a democracy the people have to at least feel enfrancised, and that whole process left people feeling disempower.

The goal of a good democracy is to keep people disempowered while they feel empowered, IMHO.  It's something that bugs me because I should have seen the ramifications of a tainted office.  Once people felt that it was the courts and the process that ruled, not the people, it did serious damage to the concept of faith in government.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 16:12:12 EST »

I think I know what really gets me going as of late.  It's this showy crap, not even the policies, but all the pomp and circumstance of the last 8 years continuing on.  I want Jefferson back, he thought the Address should be read rather then delivered so it didn't come off like a throne speech (I still disagree with the purchase, but anyway).

Off topic, but just occurred to me while reading my daily Drudge and exchanging heavy sighs over the new A.C. book.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 11:54:06 EST »

I want Jefferson back
I don't, seeing as he was a hypocritical douchebag who failed to grasp what the future was, and whose greatest success required him to sacrifice his moral integrity.

Current
Pundit

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 12:06:49 EST »

I want Jefferson back
I don't, seeing as he was a hypocritical douchebag who failed to grasp what the future was, and whose greatest success required him to sacrifice his moral integrity.
Indeed. He'd probably promote a bill to reintroduce slavery.

That said Heq has a point showy crap rules the day above content.
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 13:07:47 EST »

I want Jefferson back

I hate to sound like an ignorant jingoist, but he _did_ write the Constitution.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
FireyTiger
Campaign Directors
Talking Head

Keith Olbermann's Stalker, apparently...

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 13:55:41 EST »

I want Jefferson back

No he didn't. He wrote the Declaration of Independence. James Madison wrote the constitution.

Quote from: azdb7
I'm sorry, you still seem to think your opinion is relevant.  Please re-examine the earlier posts and try again.
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 14:16:04 EST »

I want Jefferson back

No he didn't. He wrote the Declaration of Independence. James Madison wrote the constitution.

My bad. I rarely paid attention in US History. They should never seat me next to a pretty girl and expect me to learn...stuff.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2008, 21:49:10 EST »

Also, he wrote the rough draft of the declaration, the revised version is for the most part much better.  In particular, he put pursuit of property, not pursuit of happiness.

Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 00:45:04 EST »

Also, he wrote the rough draft of the declaration, the revised version is for the most part much better.  In particular, he put pursuit of property, not pursuit of happiness.

Well, Franklin changed sacred to self-evident. Regardless, my pretty girls should not be in my classes stance stands.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: