Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Obama jokes
I Read This
May 24, 2018, 13:24:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama jokes  (Read 10344 times)
joshbrenton
Active Libertarian
Political Analyst

« on: November 21, 2008, 11:50:49 EST »

I read some articles online where comedians are expressing concerns that Obama will not be as easy to joke about as George Bush was. Craig Ferguson commented "Is it a challenge to our creative juices to find something funny about Obama? God, yes!" Furthermore, it seems that some comedians, partiularly white guys, might be hesistant to poke fun at the president-elect because of his ethnicity. So I say we help these comedians out. Let's compile a list of truly clever Obama jokes to prepare us for the next four years. Can we make them funny? Yes we can!

- President-Elect Barack Obama recently spoke about the dog he is planning to get his daughters when they take residency in the White House, joking that he is considering getting a mixed breed or, "a mutt, like me." Obama then went on to say that like him, the dog must receive excessive glowing praise from other hounds, support universal single-payer veterinary care, and be interested in expanding the reach of the federal government thereby reducing individual freedoms.

... okay, not my best. But political comedy really isn't my forte.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 20:13:48 EST by joshbrenton » Logged
Current
Pundit

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:30:51 EST »

Comedians deserve to have to do the work, the last eight years have been too easy on them.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 22:34:36 EST »

Bush wasn't that funny after 2004.

Bush is dumb is great fodder for about 3 seconds, but come on.

Angles that could be used that might be too hip for some houses...

David Axelrod to buy "my first veto desk" for Obama

Hillary Clinton to be secretary of state, Obama still looking for another adult to be Homeland Security, children may still apply for Disaster relief, economic department, and supreme court justices.

Obama to pledge Oath of Office on NYT

Obama relieved to hear the president doesn't have to vote either.

Obama sees new economic data, asks if he has to stay for the full four years

Obama to form new bureau of generally taking offense to everything.

Obama realizes that as the president he is neither a democrat nor a republican, and thus can freely join any D&D game he'd like.

Obama to give honourary title of "last actual democrat" to Dennis Kucinich in exchange for his wife.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 22:40:54 EST »

Where the white women at!?

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
joshbrenton
Active Libertarian
Political Analyst

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:08:05 EST »

Comedians deserve to have to do the work, the last eight years have been too easy on them.

You've got a point there. And many do need to put in some effort, as it seems they haven't really even bothered to try to make Bush jokes funny in the last few years. But I think that some comedians are just going to give him a pass. Take Dennis Miller, a funny guy whose political comedy oddly avoids poking fun at the most powerful politician in the land, who after Obama won said:

I'm kind of happy now that it's over. Because when they showed Grant Park that night and I saw the looks on the face of some of the black elders looking up, who had been pushed aside to lunch counters and bathrooms, and I saw that catharsis, I thought, well, I intellectualized this would be good for the country in that way. I had no idea the depth of feeling. It pleases my heart. I'm happy for them.

Also, the guy looks so smart to me. I didn't believe anything he said when he was running. But now I know he's so smart that when two dim, mindless magpies like [Senate Majority Leader Harry] Reid [D-NV] and [House Speaker Nancy] Pelosi [D-CA] trundle down there to sell their tired Willy Loman wares, he's going to pay them lip service. The moment they split, he's going to look at [incoming White House chief of staff] Rahm Emanuel and go, "Sharp elbows, dull intellects. We're not listening to those cats. Do you think I worked this hard to get to this point that I'm going to parrot what those two idiots say?" So I like the fact that he's really smart.

And you know something? He's my president now. And I am not going to do what the left did to Bush. I find it unbecoming. I hope that Barack Obama does so well that four years hence, I am salivating to vote for him. I want this all to work, because I love my country. At some point, I make Lee Greenwood look like the Rosenbergs. And I hope he does great.

Miller's a patriot, and that's good, but he shouldn't be afraid to criticize or poke fun at the president when he makes a poor decision. And that's what I'm worried about. It's all going to be praise for Obama or letting him slide. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 12:13:50 EST »

Most comedians are niether democrats nor republicans.

Many vote democrat, but harbour a deep contempt for Obama, after all, he is everything that people used to make fun of Bush for being (inexperienced, fiscally incompetant, politically inept).  It's just shine time now, but expect people to have some serious WTF moments once he's in power.

Bill Maher, for example, is actually a libertarian.  He voted for Obama because Obama was the best candidate, much like Hitchens and many others did.  I would have joined them, were I american.  Being the best of two terribly poor choices does not make one immune to critique, and people should get ready for his surrogates to play the race card, but Bush tried the race card with Condi, and it just...well...it doesn't work like it used to.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 14:35:58 EST »

Many vote democrat, but harbour a deep contempt for Obama, after all, he is everything that people used to make fun of Bush for being (inexperienced, fiscally incompetant, politically inept). 
I'll admit that Obama was not my first choice.  When it was down to 4 candidates in the primary, I thought that Richardson seemed most qualified, while Edwards seemed most likely to implement true change, due to his personal hatred of corporate/lobbyist/corruption type stuff.

However, I'm not sure what you are basing your statements on.  Experience is not important, it is the credentials that experience reveals that are important, and Obama's prior activism was enough to convince me that he will sincerely try to implement change.  On political ineptitude, I have no idea what you are talking about, seeing as for starters he won against powerful candidates on both sides.  Fiscal competence or lack thereof is only going to become clear in hindsight sadly.

However, while people may have made fun of Bush for those qualities, they HATED Bush for his actual policies.

I'd rather have a candidate who has good policy ideas but is too inept to implement them then a candidate who has bad policy ideas but is competent enough to implement them.  And kicks puppies.

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 19:01:52 EST »

Heq: we get it. You hate Obama, but you accept that he's in power. Next tune, please?

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
joshbrenton
Active Libertarian
Political Analyst

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 20:11:37 EST »

Okay, got some new ones here. I hope these are better than the last.

- Despite president-elect Obama's opposition to educational vouchers, fearing that it would take needed money away from the public school systems, it was recently revealed that he would be sending his two daughters to the Sidwell Friends School, a private education facility. This should calm concerns that Obama lacks the experience needed to act as president, as he clearly shows he's mastered the art of denying the American people benefits that he and his family can indulge in.

- In response to the surge in gun sales following his election, Obama addressed the public to reassure them that he will not hinder their Second Amendment rights. Obama stated, "You guys don't need to worry about me taking your guns; I'm only gonna take your paychecks!"
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 22:09:15 EST »

Oh good grief, his sending his daughters to a private school has nothing to do with his support of the public school system , but everything to do with the fact his daughters needed secret service details

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Bocaj Claw
Political Analyst

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 11:09:06 EST »

Y'know, I've been receiving some terrible emails from a relative who didn't support Obama including some with jokes. Terrible they may be but they still have an element of humor. I've even laughed at one or two.

The things here aren't jokes. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and grant that they may be wry observations but not jokes. They sound like material from a bad stand up comedian.

Here's a joke I've received from aforementioned relative:

It was the first day of a school in USA and a new Indian student named
Chandrasekhar Subramanian entered the fourth grade.

The teacher said,

"Let's begin by reviewing some American History. Who said 'Give me Liberty ,
or give me Death'?"

She saw a sea of blank faces, except for Chandrasekhar, who had his hand up:
'Patrick Henry, 1775' he said.

'Very good!'

Who said 'Government of the People, by the People, for the People, shall not
perish from the Earth?'

Again, no response except from Chandrasekhar. 'Abraham Lincoln, 1863' said
Chandrasekhar.

The teacher snapped at the class, 'Class, you should be ashamed.
Chandrasekhar, who is new to our country, knows more about its history than
you do.'

She heard a loud whisper: 'F*ck the Indians,'

'Who said that?' she demanded. Chandrasekhar put his hand up.

'General Custer, 1862.'

At that point, a student in the back said, 'I'm gonna puke.'

The teacher glares around and asks 'All right! Now, who said that?'

Again, Chandrasekhar says, 'George Bush to the Japanese Prime Minister,
1991.'

Now furious, another student yells, 'Oh yeah? Suck this!'

Chandrasekhar jumps out of his chair waving his hand and shouts to the
teacher , 'Bill Clinton, to Monica Lewinsky, 1997!'

Now with almost mob hysteria someone said 'You little shit. If you say
anything else, I'll kill you.'

Chandrasekhar frantically yells at the top of his voice, ' Michael Jackson
to the child witnesses testifying against him- 2004.'

The teacher fainted.

And as the class gathered around the teacher on the floor, someone said, 'Oh
shit, we're screwed!' 

And Chandrasekhar said quietlly, "I think it was the American people,
November 4, 2008."

joshbrenton
Active Libertarian
Political Analyst

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 13:00:51 EST »

The things here aren't jokes. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and grant that they may be wry observations but not jokes. They sound like material from a bad stand up comedian.

That's a very astute observation, as it turns out that I am a bad stand-up comedian. Though I am trying to improve. And as I admitted before, political humor isn't really one of my strongest points.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 13:41:54 EST »

wodan,  I view elections as merely job interviews.  When I look at someone on paper, it clearly helps thier case if they have done it before and succeeded.  That being said, it hurts their case if they have tried before and failed miserably.

To me that encapulates this past election.  Both preached change, one had tried and failed through his whole life, and one has never tried.  I would prefer someone who has tried and succeeded, but he was a crazy Mormon guy who's other views scare the piss out of me.

Economics are not purely hindsight, you can look at a balance sheet and say "How do you see this playing out" and if the response is "I dunno, I guess it'll work." it deserves a facepalm.

Med, I spent the last 8 years riding Bush into the ground for blowing pantloads of money doing stupid things while openly mocking the constitution, Obama deserves at least three months.

I sometimes recommend not trying to discuss Harper openly, a rage-filled howl best communicates the confused ball of emotion fiscal thinkers have about him.

hitchkitty
Political Analyst

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 15:53:45 EST »

Now, Bocaj, be fair.  Some of the "jokes" we've seen here would be right at home in a Mallard Fillmore strip.
Bocaj Claw
Political Analyst

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 15:58:38 EST »

Yes but humor is serious business.

Anyways, I apply the same statement to Mallard Fillmore.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: