Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
South Park's election recap
I Read This
October 17, 2018, 10:11:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: South Park's election recap  (Read 1463 times)
joshbrenton
Active Libertarian
Political Analyst

« on: November 05, 2008, 18:59:53 EST »

Is anyone else going to watch the new South Park tonight. The episode was timed to show the immediate aftermath of the election. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/3542

The Election Results are in
ON AN ALL-NEW EPISODE OF “SOUTH PARK” ON
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 5 AT 10:00 P.M.* ON COMEDY CENTRAL

NEW YORK, November 3, 2008 – A new President has been elected and the citizens of South Park are partying in the streets in an all-new episode of “South Park” titled, “About Last Night...” premiering on Wednesday, November 5 at 10:00 p.m. (ET/PT) on COMEDY CENTRAL.

While the country celebrates, the President-elect catches everyone off guard when he arrives at the White House prematurely. From the Oval Office, the new Commander-In-Chief assembles his team and prepares for the job ahead.

EDIT: Well, I saw it, and it was brilliant! Trey and Matt did a great job poking fun at the people who acted childishly following the election, be they overzealous gloaters on the left or the doomsayers on the right. As always, satire of absurd human behavior is their strongest point. And as a fan of true crime and heist movies, I thought the whole plot with Obama & McCain planning to steal the Hope Diamond was a great plot. But that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 22:36:45 EST by joshbrenton » Logged
Bocaj Claw
Political Analyst

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 01:46:22 EST »

It was a lot better than most of their recent episodes.

Aeron
Political Commentator

What?

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 17:55:58 EST »

That's not saying too much, though. :/ That said, it was a good episode. The sociopolitical commentary on the reactions of both sides was good, as it often is. The plot with McCain and Obama working together was amusing, though the ending of it was rather weak in my opinion.

They also flexed their muscle of quickly responding to current events in a very big way, with all the details of the election that they incorporated. Really not that difficult for them, though, given the simplicity of the animation (the entire production of one episode only takes a few days to begin with), and if they had alternate versions of scenes pre-prepared.
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 18:07:14 EST »

EDIT: Well, I saw it, and it was brilliant! Trey and Matt did a great job poking fun at the people who acted childishly following the election, be they overzealous gloaters on the left or the doomsayers on the right. As always, satire of absurd human behavior is their strongest point. And as a fan of true crime and heist movies, I thought the whole plot with Obama & McCain planning to steal the Hope Diamond was a great plot. But that's just my opinion.

Don't give them too much credit for the plot, the basically ripped off Ocean's 11, but appled it in a cleaver way

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
hitchkitty
Political Analyst

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 19:33:40 EST »

EDIT: Well, I saw it, and it was brilliant! Trey and Matt did a great job poking fun at the people who acted childishly following the election, be they overzealous gloaters on the left or the doomsayers on the right.

What's that you say?  South Park did a show where they lectured the audience about how both sides are stupid?

I am shocked, shocked to find gambling going on in this establishment!
Himatsu
Political Commentator

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 21:43:31 EST »

South Park does a great job of presenting two sides of an argument as ridiculous caricatures of themselves (with poop) and then having Stan act as the sole voice of reason, expertly debunking both strawmen.

It's a lot like libertarians, come to think of it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: