Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
[Blog] Memo to California
I Read This
May 27, 2018, 13:39:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Blog] Memo to California  (Read 33226 times)
joshbrenton
Active Libertarian
Political Analyst

« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2008, 09:44:14 EST »

As far as I'm aware, there was no organization called "Black People" that pumped $ObsceneAmounts into amending another state's constitution.

But there were some black churches where the ministers rallied against gay marriage to their congregations. Are you telling me that didn't have an influence?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/22/MN0N13L0FR.DTL
hitchkitty
Political Analyst

« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2008, 10:43:14 EST »

As far as I'm aware, there was no organization called "Black People" that pumped $ObsceneAmounts into amending another state's constitution.

But there were some black churches where the ministers rallied against gay marriage to their congregations. Are you telling me that didn't have an influence?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/22/MN0N13L0FR.DTL

No, I'm saying that, so far as I've heard, there wasn't a concerted effort, as a matter of policy by the Black Folks Church to see Prop 8 succeed.
Comrade Ogilvy
Political Analyst

« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2008, 12:41:41 EST »

No, they were naturally bigoted, rather than pushed that way. And without their vote things probably would have swung the other way. I like Mormons about as much as I do Scientologists and Raƫlians, but as annoying as they are, I have to give black voters their due, instead.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:44:29 EST by Comrade Ogilvy » Logged
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2008, 13:03:12 EST »

No, they were naturally bigoted, rather than pushed that way. And without their vote things probably would have swung the other way. I like Mormons about as much as I do Scientologists and Raƫlians, but as annoying as they are, I have to give black voters their due, instead.

Actually no, you see that this thing about stated, 70% of black votes voted for the prop sounds like it was it was hugely key. But yet it was total insignificant... because the black population only makes up 6.2% of the population. which men the only represent 4.76% of the yes vote. less the the marget of passing. this means the was a bigger factor out there....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_California

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2008, 13:57:07 EST »

I thought it was 52.3 to 47.7, making it pass by 4.6%, while the number you used should be 4.34%

Either way they were a heavy factor, probably one of a couple, but examine an even rate.

3.1/3.1 would mean 48.9 to 51.1 reverse it and...

49.82 yes
50.18 no

Had the blacks voted 70% against the bill, it would have failed.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Comrade Ogilvy
Political Analyst

« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2008, 22:36:28 EST »

Actually no, you see that this thing about stated, 70% of black votes voted for the prop sounds like it was it was hugely key. But yet it was total insignificant... because the black population only makes up 6.2% of the population. which men the only represent 4.76% of the yes vote. less the the marget of passing. this means the was a bigger factor out there....

Voters do not necessarily turn out in equal proportion to their demographics.

For example, I'm told that, despite early registration and an energized voter base, the vote turnout was not much higher than in 2004, because Republicans didn't show up.
boring7
Political Analyst

« Reply #186 on: November 14, 2008, 22:47:38 EST »

I thought it was 52.3 to 47.7, making it pass by 4.6%, while the number you used should be 4.34%

Either way they were a heavy factor, probably one of a couple, but examine an even rate.

3.1/3.1 would mean 48.9 to 51.1 reverse it and...

49.82 yes
50.18 no

Had the blacks voted 70% against the bill, it would have failed.

Pretty much. 

Antagonism between marginalized groups is a rather constant problem.  I am sure the Mexicans here in Texas voted heavily for the gay marriage ban.  That is to say those that actually voted at all, we haven't had a candidate named "Bendito Guapo Dobladas" getting out a heavy latin vote.  But the sins of another do not absolve your own and this does not even begin to absolve the organizational bigotry of the Mormon Churches that went on their Jihad for Proposition 8. 

I am disappointed in the old people, the black bigots, and the many other haters, so what?  The brunt of the blame falls on the folk who led the battle and they were the folk who put in the money, time, and organization. 

Of course, what the Mormons did was within the rules of the game, the donors and ads were privately produced rather than directly by the church, but playing within the rules and doing the right thing are different.  Boycotts and blacklists are within the rules too.  Though I suspect this:
Those campaigning to end same-sex marriage drew up their own blacklist, sending letters to large donors to the campaign to save same-sex marriage, demanding equal money or threatening to publish their names.
might actually be illegal blackmailing/extortion. 

But that is a more vague legal musing. 

Anyway, the point is that I am a racist who hates human beings. 
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
  Print  

Jump to: