Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
[BLOG] A Big Lie I'm getting really tired of hearing
I Read This
May 27, 2018, 13:36:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [BLOG] A Big Lie I'm getting really tired of hearing  (Read 6135 times)
Laserlips
Political Analyst

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 11:18:46 EST »

If you are not free to starve, then you are not free.  It's the cold, hard truth.  I value freedom more than food.  That's MY freedom and MY food, not anybody else's.  You are free to give up your freedom if you choose to do so, but I refuse.

Economic Left/Right: -1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.62

Mormons for Romney kind of sounds like it might be a palindrome, but it isn't.
Bocaj Claw
Political Analyst

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 11:37:16 EST »

I'm just trying to understand where you're going with this. To be truly free wouldn't you need to not rely on any outside help at all? Make your own clothes, grow your own food, give back all your christmas presents?

Eon
The Cute and Fuzzy Author of Eon's Comic
Talking Head

I like vixens!

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 13:41:38 EST »

It seems we've reached the point at which Laserlips is essentially saying; "This is my opinion. I don't care what you think. Nothing you say will ever change my mind", since he's not offering anything substantial to prove his points, he's just saying "X is Y, period, end of story, if you don't like it, fuck you; move to red China!" We must ask ourselves seriously if there is only point in further discussion, since in doing so, he's pretty well conceded the argument.

I will say this, however. To me, freedom means choice. The more choices you have, the freer you are. If you have no choice but to starve, then you are most certainly not free. And I find it morally repugnant to suggest otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 14:00:53 EST by Eon » Logged

hitchkitty
Political Analyst

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 14:20:23 EST »

If you are not free to starve, then you are not free.  It's the cold, hard truth.  I value freedom more than food.  That's MY freedom and MY food, not anybody else's.  You are free to give up your freedom if you choose to do so, but I refuse.

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where anyone suggested tying people up and force-feeding them, thus taking away their freedom to starve if they so wished.

I did see someone suggesting that those who cannot afford to feed themselves be given some minimal ration of food so that they actually do have the option of starving, as opposed to the inevitable destiny.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: