Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Christian Children's Fund rejects $17,398 donation
I Read This
August 16, 2018, 13:31:19 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Children's Fund rejects $17,398 donation  (Read 1708 times)
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« on: October 31, 2008, 13:01:01 EDT »

This year to honour E. Gary Gygax, Gen Con Live Game Auction hosted their traditional charity auction with the target charity being Christian Children's Fund, Gary's favorite charity. When present with a check of $17,398 the refused it, due to the fact that the money was raised partly by the sales of Dungeons and Dragons materials.

The money was instead happily received by Fisher House Foundation.

http://www.livegameauctions.com/CharityAuction.jsp

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Bocaj Claw
Political Analyst

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 17:10:54 EDT »

Looking a gift horse in the mouth, much?

Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 18:27:27 EST »

To be fair, they'd probably like early black and white GvE D&D, but as it stands now the game is not only has options for making pacts, but hey, it's also unquestionably hard left wing politically with huge authoritarian overtones.

Most christians are okay with the authoritarian part, but probably not hard left and incresingly well done theology (geek note:  Eberron has an entire book on faith and theology, with only thinly veiled referances to early jeudo-christian dogma)

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Pundit

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 18:37:51 EST »

To be fair, they'd probably like early black and white GvE D&D, but as it stands now the game is not only has options for making pacts, but hey, it's also unquestionably hard left wing politically with huge authoritarian overtones.

Most christians are okay with the authoritarian part, but probably not hard left and incresingly well done theology (geek note:  Eberron has an entire book on faith and theology, with only thinly veiled referances to early jeudo-christian dogma)

Nothing "Fair" about that. because that never existed. Before the current Alignment system is was Lawful vs Chaotic, not Good vs Evil. and Did not get "pacts" until very recently. and always been portayed as FICTION

Also Christian is HARD is left. in its tenets (its the do as i said not do as i do that is hard right Wink ).  Also this also country to christian teaching, where Jesus associated with whores and collectors

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:39:50 EST »

Now watch this spiral out of control...

First, early D&D (Chainmail et all) required that the party be moral, and pacts entered D&D with AD&D.  Remember, fiction is still influential, and many Christains are uncomfertable with Potter for similar reasons.

Now, onto theology...

No, the majority of Christain scripture is very, very right wing.  People like to trot out a few examples that show Jesus was left wing (which he was) but the scriptures themselves are hard authoritarian and absolutist, with a lot of rage and hate in them, let's break it down.

Old Testie-  Furious polytheistic god becomes a monotheism, demands blood sacrifices and believs in slavery and racial purity.

Luke-  Gospel of the poor, left wing hippy stuff Wink

Matthew-  Gospel of purity and bloodline, and revenge.  Murder abounds here, and Jesus has no real connection to the lower classes, though anti-capitalistic there is a crapload of wrath in here.

Mark-  Gospel of divinity, it's pretty much apolitical, though it is pro anti-authoritarianism in material realmns, it also appeals to a divine dictator.  At it's core it's borderline gnostic, which is actually a libertarian concept more then anything else.

John-  Doesn't make any sense, really, Jesus has little reason to commit earthly resurrections, and aside from that it actually harkens back to the old testie concept of Memra v. Shekina, it primarily an argument piece rather then a depiction of the life of Jesus.

Saul of Tarsus-  Gah, he was a grade A douchebag.

Revelations-  The fires that burn those who oppose us, the primary joy of those in heaven is to see those in hell suffer.

So, if you take the entire bible literally (as most american baptists do), you have 2.5 books in the whole set which are not right wing, and if you look for things which are actually left wing, you have one gospel.

Jesus may have been left wing, but his biographers were not, and, you betcha, the ancient Jewish texts are grade A hate for everyone who isn't us.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Pundit

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 14:35:01 EST »

Um the key here is right wing his not defined by authoritarianism Cool, the left wing has it's share, and the right wing even have non-authoritarians

Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 11:15:48 EST »

I guess that's why there are two axis, but I don't think it's two much of a stretch to say a non-representive totalitarianism is more right then left.

Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 18:55:43 EST »

I guess that's why there are two axis, but I don't think it's two much of a stretch to say a non-representive totalitarianism is more right then left.

It tends towards the right, certainly. But it's not a requirement. The USSR, for instance, ended up that way, and still had a fairly left bent.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 22:28:56 EST »

It'd be a rough go to convince me the same God who slaughtered the egyptian firstborns and who "hardened the heart of the pharoah" essentially forcing him into a situation where he could be punished is especially liberal or progressive.

Don't get me wrong, big fan of the new testie in a lot of ways, but in it's entirety (if you believe they are the same god, which they are not) the god of the bible is pretty right wing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: