Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
The New Cabinet.
I Read This
May 24, 2018, 13:20:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Cabinet.  (Read 1335 times)
Jeremy
Political Commentator

« on: October 30, 2008, 12:47:25 EDT »

At 10:30 today in Ottawa, the ceremony of appointing the new Cabinet was conducted at the Governor-General's mansion, Rideau Hall. The audience was composed of minister's families, other MPs, deputy ministers (departmental bureaucrat chiefs), the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, and the Chief of Defence Staff. At the front of the room was Governor-General Michaëlle Jean, Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and Kevin Lynch, Clerk of the Privy Council (the Chief Bureaucrat). Ministers staying in the same position were presented to the GG. Ministers switched to new positions were sworn in to their new offices. New cabinet members swore the Oath of the Privy Council of Canada and the oath for their new offices. All ministers signed a register.

There are two classes of Ministers: Cabinet Ministers, and Minsters of State. Cabinet Ministers are in the cabinet and are the heads of actual government departments. Ministers of State, or "junior ministers", aren't in the Cabinet, they're in the Ministry (Cabinet + MoS=Ministry). They have no actual power, but are attatched to "oversee" various things. Both are sworn into the Privy Council, and are styled "The Honourable Mr./Ms. So-and-so" for the rest of their lives.

The Privy Coucil Oath:
I, __________, do solemnly and sincerely swear (declare) that I shall be a true and faithful servant to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, as a member of Her Majesty's Privy Council for Canada. I will in all things to be treated, debated and resolved in Privy Council, faithfully, honestly and truly declare my mind and my opinion. I shall keep secret all matters committed and revealed to me in this capacity, or that shall be secretly treated of in Council. Generally, in all things I shall do as a faithful and true servant ought to do for Her Majesty.

The Cabinet:
Ministers in the same position:
Robert D. Nicholas: Minister of Justice & Attorney-General
Gregory F. Thompson: Minister of Veterans' Affairs
Chuck Strahl: Minister of Indian & Northern Affairs, Federal Interlocutor for Métis and Non-Status Indians
Vic Toews: President of the Treasury Board
Bev Oda: Minister of International Co-Operation
Jim Flaherty: Minister of Finance
Gerry Ritz: Minister of Agriculture, Minister of the Canadian Wheat Board

Ministers in new positions:
Jean-Pierre Blackburn: Minister of National Revenue
Marjory Lebreton: Government Leader in the Senate, Minister of State (Seniors)
Peter Mackay: Minister of National Defence, Minister of the Atlantic Gateway
Stockwell Day: Minister of International Trade, Minister of the Pacific Gateway
Rona Ambrose: Minister of Labour
Diane Finley: Minister of Human Resources & Skills Development
Jim Prentice: Minister of the Environment
John Baird: Minister of Transport, Infrastructure & Communities
Lawrence Cannon: Minister of Foreign Affairs
Tony Clement: Minister of Industry, Registrar-General of Canada, Minister of the Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario
Josée Verner: Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, President of the Queen's Privy Council of Canada, Minister of la Francophonie
Jay Hill: Government Leader in the House of Commons
Peter van Loan: Minister of Public Safety
Jason Kenney: Minister of Citizenship, Immigration & Multiculturalism
Christian Paradis: Minister of Public Works & Government Services, Receiver-General of canada
James Moore: Minister of Canadian Heritage, Minister of Official Languages

New Cabinet members:
Leona Aglukkaq: Minister of Health
Lisa Raitt: Minister of Natural Resources
Gail Shea: Minister of Fisheries & Oceans

Ministers of State:
Gary Lunn: Minister of State (Sport)
Gordon O’Connor: Minister of State, Chief Government Whip
Helena Guergis: Minister of State (Status of Women)
Diane Ablonczy: Minister of State (Small Business & Tourism)
Rob Merrifield: Minister of State (Transport)
Lynne Yelich: Minister of State (Western Economic Development)
Steven Fletcher: Minister of State (Democratic Reform)
Gary Goodyear: Minister of State (Science & Technology)
Denis Lebel: Minister of State (Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec)
Keith Ashfield: Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
Peter Kent: Minister of State (Foreign Affairs: the Americas)

After that, the GG, the PM and the Clerk signed the register. The Governor General gave the Great Seal of Canada to the new Registrar-General, they sang "O Canada" and then there were group photos.

Notes:
*There are 38 members of this Ministry, up from 29 before the election. of these, 11 are women: almost 30%. This is the highest percentage of women ever in the Ministry.
*The Minister of Health, Leona Aglukkaq, is the first Inuit (formerly Eskimo) federal cabinet minister in Canada, and probably the world.
*The Minister of State (Democratic Reform), Steven Fletcher, is the first quadraplegic Cabinet member. He's also the first (and only) quadraplegic Member of Parliament.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: