Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
[BLOG]All Hat No Cattle
I Read This
June 20, 2018, 10:47:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [BLOG]All Hat No Cattle  (Read 6335 times)
wodan46
Pundit

« on: October 24, 2008, 20:26:31 EDT »

You know the drill.  Edwards spends 800 bucks on 2 haircuts and he's crucified by the press for it.  Palin gets 150,000 bucks in wardrobe and all you get is chirping crickets.  Its not that things like that should matter, but the media only seems to think they matter against Democrats, whose problems are blown out of proportion, while Republicans can go into true excesses (that's a lot of money for clothes) and not even be noticed.  Liberal media my ass.

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
Icedragon
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

IDT colorist

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 23:49:06 EDT »

http://www.idrewthis.org/2008/10/all-hat-no-cattle.html

Don't forget the link.

Eagle's right, there is a gender double standard when it comes to wardrobe (however, I doubt Obama, Biden or McCain are wearing medium priced suits; if I was running for president, I would have on the best suits I could afford).  The price tag for Palin's wardrobe is not surprising, since I get the impression that men's clothing is on balance not only more flexible when it comes to mixing and matching, but it also seems to be significantly less expansive.  I don't donate to the RNC, so I don't really care about how much it was.  The fact that it was Nieman Marcus and Sax 5th Ave might stick in the craw of non rich Republicans.

Now as to the whole thing about the GOP using style over substance, that may be true now, but Dems can't complain too much.  JFK got elected because of his style.  That and Al Franken.  I love the guy, but Senator Franken?  Seriously?  I joke about Colbert/Streart '08, but being a comedian/saterist in no way makes one qualified to join the U.S. Senate, as much as being an NFL Quarterback is qualifications to be a Congressman.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else." - Teddy Roosevelt

"The internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck. It's a series of tubes!" -Sen. Ted Stevens
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 00:13:43 EDT »

I have no problem with she's spending campaign funds on expensive clothes, campaigns are after all all about selling yourself. I can understand spend that money on your spouse's and your children's cloths if they are to appear with you on the campaign.

But I Do have a problem in do so when your accusing your opponent of style of substance. When you are declaring you family is off limits, and when the the close are so expensive that most people could not dream of even owning (I mean Micheal Jackson's jacket from the Thriller) then claim you represent the "average people"
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 11:26:01 EDT by rogue-kun » Logged

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Bocaj Claw
Political Analyst

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 03:39:03 EDT »

It's a non-issue. It was a non-issue when the squawking was about Edwards haircut. It was a non-issue when it was about Obama preferring orange juice to coffee or sucking at bowling. It was a non-issue when it was about McCain's $500 leather shoes. And its a non-issue now.

It might become an issue if it makes you a hypocrite though. Like what Rogue-kun is saying.

wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 11:34:55 EDT »

That's the issue, the hypocritical unfairness of the media.  800$ worth of haircuts is pure evil, but a 150,000$ wardrobe isn't even worth mentioning.  Either the media shouldn't be talking about either (which is correct but will never happen) or it should at least give proper weight to the absurdities it blathers on about.

boring7
Political Analyst

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 12:07:17 EDT »

I do question 150 thousand.  Seriously, you had to spend THAT much?  The phrase "cheap knock-off" includes the word "cheap" for a reason. 

No I freely admit I dress like a hobo, but the last time I bought a tie because I needed to look proper for an office thing the man at the store was explaining I could look like something besides a destitute circus clown if I waited for sales and shopped at the cheap stores carefully.  I think I hurt his feelings when I told him I liked looking like a resident of Des Moines (why yes, my shots are very cheap, why do you ask?). 

I also find it offensive when they call Bush a Texan.  He may have been born here but the airs and tones of "Texan were not actually impressed upon him in between trips to Kennebunkport Massachusettes and ivy-league prep schools. 
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 12:38:13 EDT »

I dunno, I'm a pretty down to earth guy and if I'm specialty buying for an occassion (which a politician at that level should per state) I'll drop at least a G (part of why I hate specialty shopping), and if I was running for pres, probably 2-3, and I'd want at least one suit per region (so that I reflect local customs and likes), so I'd be up to 100K myself if I was running.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Eon
The Cute and Fuzzy Author of Eon's Comic
Talking Head

I like vixens!

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 19:52:32 EDT »

That's the issue, the hypocritical unfairness of the media.  800$ worth of haircuts is pure evil, but a 150,000$ wardrobe isn't even worth mentioning.  Either the media shouldn't be talking about either (which is correct but will never happen) or it should at least give proper weight to the absurdities it blathers on about.

That's one issue. The other is sexism.

wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 20:15:55 EDT »

Not sure how that relates.  I was equally annoyed when Bush spent significantly more than Edwards on such things but only Edwards was attacked for it.  Its rather consistent, the media will attack Democrats on irrelevant details, but not Republicans, even though the Republicans have significantly more of such nature, often to such extremes that they almost do become relevant.

joshbrenton
Active Libertarian
Political Analyst

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 23:05:00 EDT »

Not to defend Palin's extravagance, but in the interest of balance, did you know that 5.3 million was spent to renovate Invesco Field when Obama accepted the democratic nomination (the fake Greek temple and all that.) So both sides love to piss money away; sometimes the left pisses away more, sometimes the right does so.

Yet another reason I support a Libertarian president; they'll at least show a little goddamn financial responisibility!
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 00:47:41 EDT »

No, sadly, the pagentry of divinity is part of what keeps America going.

People need pagentry and prettiness because it distracts them from the terror that they are being led by people who most sensible people would call "dim"

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 13:32:16 EDT »

That's only because the media has made it a crime for politicians to be smarter than the average american, forcing them to develop their aesthetics instead.

Ihlosi
Political Analyst

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 14:51:54 EDT »

Not to defend Palin's extravagance, but in the interest of balance, did you know that 5.3 million was spent to renovate Invesco Field when Obama accepted the democratic nomination (the fake Greek temple and all that.)

Err ... is that something that basically went directly into Obamas or Bidens pocket (or wardrobe) and would have required a "Yeah, we'll donate it to charity later" excuse?
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 16:19:33 EDT »

wodan, political power brokers were really the ones who first put those nails in the coffins of american political life.  Showmen are much easier to control then intellectuals.  Oddly, it was the dems who first mastered putting out anti-intellectual useless tits who surround themselves with sycophants.

I may not have agreed with FDR, but he at least understood what he was talking about, Truman and Eisenhower had huge flaws, but the bsics of their campaigns were around a philosophical system-set with discernable goals.  JFK was just show.  Anyone reading the bay of pigs incident can clearly see that he had no real interest in understanding diplomacy or strategy and quickly insulated himself from any form of dissent.  In many ways he was the prototype for Bush.

Somber Ghost
Political Commentator

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 18:14:18 EDT »

Right.  All that negotiation to avoid nuclear war was just a fluke.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: