Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Do NOT buy or install "Spore" in your PC
I Read This
October 17, 2018, 10:29:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do NOT buy or install "Spore" in your PC  (Read 1472 times)
Archae
Political Analyst

« on: October 21, 2008, 05:46:18 EDT »

MY nephew bought it, installed it, and it crashed his whole PC, due to malware in the disc.

He had to erase his entire HD, and is planning to sue the makers.
Ihlosi
Political Analyst

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 06:11:56 EDT »

MY nephew bought it, installed it, and it crashed his whole PC, due to malware in the disc.

One persons malware is another persons copy protection. Welcome to the age of DRM.
Bocaj Claw
Political Analyst

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:15:09 EDT »

For the record, the one that goes right round, I've had spore for a couple weeks bought and installed and haven't had any problems. A lot of this protest against SecuRom is over exaggerated panic. I heard that the exact same program was in Bioshock and practically nobody complained then.

Anyway, fun game. A bit lot shallow and everything not Space stagey is short but still very fun.

Vayne
New Political Commentator

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:24:54 EDT »

He had to erase his entire HD, and is planning to sue the makers.

Tell him not to bother;
a) the 'malware' is likely copy protection so any lawsuits should be aimed at them,
b) I'm betting there's a disclaimer in the manual or more likely the EULA that he'd have had to accept to install saying that the user installs the software at their own risk and the company accepts no responsibility for software or hardware damage caused.
c) With the drive wiped there'd be no proof that the damage was caused by, or purely by the game. Even if it were recovered it would still be nigh-impossible to conclusively prove that the game was responsible, especially if he was running antivirus software at the time (there's a standard line in most install programs about disabling Antivirus software that most users - myself included - regularly ignore), which would let the company pass off liability.
Ihlosi
Political Analyst

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:26:03 EDT »

A lot of this protest against SecuRom is over exaggerated panic. I heard that the exact same program was in Bioshock and practically nobody complained then.

SecuROM can be configured for different levels of restrictiveness.

And yes, there were complaints about Bioshock. Some of the restrictions were loosened somewhat a few weeks after release because of this.

Personally, the varying copy protection schemes are keeping me from buying more games. I'm both lazy and a bit of a neat freak - I don't want dozens of CDs littering my desk and I don't want to get up, walk to the shelf and pry the original discs from the cases (*1) just because I want to play a different game. So, for the most part, I stick with games that don't come with this hassle (Transcendence, various roguelikes, MMORPGs).

(*1) ah, here's another reason - why can't the come up with a disc rention mechanism that'll actually let go of the disc without the use of sufficient force to damage it, and actually use it consistently?
Bocaj Claw
Political Analyst

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:34:44 EDT »

Actually the securom whatchamacallit lets you play the game without the disc.

Ihlosi
Political Analyst

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 08:50:20 EDT »

Actually the securom whatchamacallit lets you play the game without the disc.

Only as long as the manufacturer allows you to. I do not like being dependent on the goodwill of anyone to play a game that I've already paid for, nor do I like any game to use my internet connection for any other data than what's required to actually play the game.

And the statement is a bit misleading - without the copy protection, I wouldn't need anything or anyone to generously "let" me play the game without the disc.
Vayne
New Political Commentator

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:41:07 EDT »

On the general subject of Copy Protection I'm inclined to think that the games industry has lost sight of DRM's purpose; it shouldn't be intended to make a game 100% impossible to play illegally, because frankly that's impossible. No matter how good they make the protection someone will always crack it, often specifically *because* of the challenge. Copy Protection should be there to make obtaining a pirate copy sufficiently challenging that the majority of would-be users will find it easier to just fork over the money for the game. For that purpose CD Keys are generally sufficient (though a common downside there is needing the disk in the drive; if I were to design a system I would use a cd-specific or key-specific mini-image installed with the game with optional image-mounting software a la Daemon Tools included, giving the user the option to leave the disk in or use the supplied mini-image and the mounting software of their choice)

Instead of that the prevailing attitude, helped no doubt by the existence of companies like SecuROM and StarForce, is that Copy Protection should be as tough to break as possible under the assumption that this will cut down on piracy. I would argue that given that it's still inevitable that the protection will be broken, and that the cracked software will sooner or later (generally sooner) be made available online this attitude is never going to work and, in fact, pushes more would-be legitimate users to use cracked software out of concerns over privacy, security and for fear of software problems as the original post mentioned. Ultimately by making Copy Protection more intrusive it actually serves to make piracy a more attractive option to the average user.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: