Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
[BLOG]Why do Republicans hate America?
I Read This
September 20, 2018, 04:20:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
  Print  
Author Topic: [BLOG]Why do Republicans hate America?  (Read 31690 times)
Current
Pundit

« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2008, 05:07:45 EST »

Krugman is a canny politician writing a political column.  He knows there are problems with Social Security and medicare.  I think that in the next few months he will start talking about them again.  His 2004 column was targeted at opposing the GOPs plans to do something about the problem, which is something he feared more.
Give the one I remember the one putting forward would haved tied to investing in Companies like AIG, I'm glad GOP's fail.
The GOP were planning for the system to invest in AIG?  Are you sure you don't mean they were planning for AIG to manage the investment in some way?

That said, I can quite believe that the GOP's plan was lousy, in fact I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
They plan was to turn it over to private hedge funds, basically making it a 401(k) so when the market his bad like we just had the would be no fall bak from 401(k) that failed
In hedge funds?  Really?
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2008, 09:08:44 EST »

Krugman is a canny politician writing a political column.  He knows there are problems with Social Security and medicare.  I think that in the next few months he will start talking about them again.  His 2004 column was targeted at opposing the GOPs plans to do something about the problem, which is something he feared more.
Give the one I remember the one putting forward would haved tied to investing in Companies like AIG, I'm glad GOP's fail.
The GOP were planning for the system to invest in AIG?  Are you sure you don't mean they were planning for AIG to manage the investment in some way?

That said, I can quite believe that the GOP's plan was lousy, in fact I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
They plan was to turn it over to private hedge funds, basically making it a 401(k) so when the market his bad like we just had the would be no fall bak from 401(k) that failed
In hedge funds?  Really?

if i'm using the term hedge fudge right, then yes

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Current
Pundit

« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2008, 09:22:58 EST »

In hedge funds?  Really?

Do you have a reference for this?

Normally a hedge fund is a fund open only to large private investors.
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Pundit

« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2008, 09:29:00 EST »

In hedge funds?  Really?

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/02/retirement/stofunion_socsec/index.htm

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Current
Pundit

« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2008, 11:07:43 EST »

In hedge funds?  Really?

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/02/retirement/stofunion_socsec/index.htm
An index fund is not a hedge fund.  It is a so called "passive" fund.  The fund manager invests the money in the companies in some stock index according to market value.  So, an index fund could track the S&P 500 for example.
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Pundit

« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2008, 11:40:25 EST »

But do you deny my basic pout it would be succpetble to Crashes like we just had?

Current
Pundit

« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2008, 13:01:21 EST »

But do you deny my basic pout it would be succpetble to Crashes like we just had?
Oh no.  My point is it isn't a hedge fund.

There is no particular general agreement over what constitutes a hedge fund.  Mostly though it means a fund that is hedged.  Normally a fund is hedged so that a profit can be made from a particular speculative idea the manager has.  Let's say we have three nail making companies, A B & C.  The fund manager thinks that C has the best prospects, he does not know the prospects for the industry as a whole.  So, he puts a bet on the price of share in C improving and puts simultaneous bets on A & B that cover the possibility of their being an industry wide change, a hedging of bets.

Not all hedge funds actually hedge any more though.  Possibly the more relevant differentiating factor now is that normal retail investors cannot invest in them because they don't follow normal regulatory rules.  Hedge funds also tend to borrow heavily and invest what they have borrowed, they use leverage.  Many hedge funds are very risky.  In recent times they have being doing badly because of banks calling in their debt.

In times of crisis an Index fund is not a risky as a Hedge fund since it only invests in shares and does not use debt or derivatives.  An index fund crashes when the stock market crashes.

That doesn't mean though that in the social security payroll tax a secret to investing has being discovered.  When the economy does badly that impacts future tax revenues just as it impacts future profits.  The S&P 500 has fallen by 1/3rd this year, as with any stock market fall this is due to a fall in the expectations of future profits.  There is no market that follows the probable path of future tax receipts, however if there were it would probably have fallen significantly too since future salaries will likely not be as high as current ones in real terms.  It may be that tax receipts will not fall as much as profits do before they recover, but they could fall more.

All claims on a percentage of something in the future are investments.  All are subject to market fluctuations, though we may not see them.

The only way to truly make a pension system without this flaw would be to require that the government tax from the paying population whatever is needed at any time to support the claimants.  But this suffers from the problems I've mentioned in previous posts.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
  Print  

Jump to: