Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
[BLOG]Why do Republicans hate America?
I Read This
September 19, 2018, 13:36:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: [BLOG]Why do Republicans hate America?  (Read 31682 times)
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2008, 12:25:50 EST »

Just a note, when you decrease military spending, get ready to increase police spending.

The best line I've ever heard was "The military is where we put people who like to kill other people and not go to jail."

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2008, 13:03:04 EST »

In short, government provided food would neither be intended nor be able to supplant the general food market.

Oh, so it will be just like Social Security?  A system which was never intended nor able to support everyone, but is now treated like a basic civil right?  Which is due to collapse before we retire, causing economic mayhem to young and old alike?

What did I say about talking points? You're on a fan site of a comic strip/blog that has already shown this up.

Quit talking to us like we're idiots, and start actually arguing.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2008, 13:05:42 EST »

Can't we make them go play football or something?  Or maybe put them in hamster wheels.

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2008, 13:36:11 EST »

Football requires a fair bit of brain-power to play most positions, so that's out.

I blame you liberal hippy types for not letting people like me just dose them with large amounts of drugs and put them out to pasture.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2008, 13:43:17 EST »

Football requires a fair bit of brain-power to play most positions, so that's out.

I blame you liberal hippy types for not letting people like me just dose them with large amounts of drugs and put them out to pasture.

Just put them on the line. Offensive line can just push through the big guys on the other side, defensive line just has to push back.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2008, 14:07:55 EST »

Lines don't work like that anymore (sadly), a non-gap controlling defensive line will get gashed by any sort of decent running attack and can be pulled on and/or stunted, while I sedentary defense can be quickly flanked by edge-rushers.

Most DEs can push, but are more about explosive speed and power then brute might.

Unless you're talking about a Nosetackle like Albert "Skullcrusher" Haynesworth, who is all levels of awesome, and kicks people in the head.  Sadly military men lack the pure awesome to be a defenive anchorman for the Titans, and while they would like to hurt people, most military men can't even brawl, let alone crush skulls.

Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2008, 15:57:55 EST »

Lines don't work like that anymore (sadly), a non-gap controlling defensive line will get gashed by any sort of decent running attack and can be pulled on and/or stunted, while I sedentary defense can be quickly flanked by edge-rushers.

Most DEs can push, but are more about explosive speed and power then brute might.

Unless you're talking about a Nosetackle like Albert "Skullcrusher" Haynesworth, who is all levels of awesome, and kicks people in the head.  Sadly military men lack the pure awesome to be a defenive anchorman for the Titans, and while they would like to hurt people, most military men can't even brawl, let alone crush skulls.

I was talking about someone like Skullcrusher. They don't have to be awesome unless we put them in the NFL. Or the Bengals. Or (sad to say it) last year's Dolphins.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2008, 11:56:23 EST »

Find me one guy in the military with that level of awesome and I will be astounded.

Skullcrusher would be awesome in any field of life, were he a writer he would be Hitchens, and I know of at least one accountant with a similar make-up.  He is very good for keeping lawyers silent.

Mostly, I think men like that should be judges.  Keeps the cops on the level when the judges deal out ass-kickings for infractions as opposed to just cuddling the blue wall of silence.

Current
Pundit

« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2008, 13:01:44 EST »

In short, government provided food would neither be intended nor be able to supplant the general food market.

Oh, so it will be just like Social Security?  A system which was never intended nor able to support everyone, but is now treated like a basic civil right?  Which is due to collapse before we retire, causing economic mayhem to young and old alike?

What did I say about talking points? You're on a fan site of a comic strip/blog that has already shown this up.

Paul Krugman has contradicted himself on this issue.  See this article.

Krugman is a canny politician writing a political column.  He knows there are problems with Social Security and medicare.  I think that in the next few months he will start talking about them again.  His 2004 column was targeted at opposing the GOPs plans to do something about the problem, which is something he feared more.
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2008, 13:58:06 EST »

Krugman is a canny politician writing a political column.  He knows there are problems with Social Security and medicare.  I think that in the next few months he will start talking about them again.  His 2004 column was targeted at opposing the GOPs plans to do something about the problem, which is something he feared more.
Give the one I remember the one putting forward would haved tied to investing in Companies like AIG, I'm glad GOP's fail.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Current
Pundit

« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2008, 14:05:28 EST »

Give the one I remember the one putting forward would haved tied to investing in Companies like AIG, I'm glad GOP's fail.
The GOP were planning for the system to invest in AIG?  Are you sure you don't mean they were planning for AIG to manage the investment in some way?

That said, I can quite believe that the GOP's plan was lousy, in fact I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2008, 14:40:43 EST »

The GOP were planning for the system to invest in AIG?  Are you sure you don't mean they were planning for AIG to manage the investment in some way?

That said, I can quite believe that the GOP's plan was lousy, in fact I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
They plan was to turn it over to private hedge funds, basically making it a 401(k) so when the market his bad like we just had the would be no fall bak from 401(k) that failed

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2008, 18:29:49 EST »

Paul Krugman has contradicted himself on this issue.  See this article.

Thank all that's holy for actual arguments... I'll get back to you on this; it's a little too think for my morning-addled brain right now Tongue

But that's what I'll do

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2008, 20:55:28 EST »

And now I've read it, I realise that I don't have enough information about the whole sh'mozzle to make arguments myself. I was more annoyed at Laser's continuance of talking points than looking to refute the claim, though.

But that's what I'll do

Yes...
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2008, 22:41:17 EST »

You know, just because 2 things are both partially funded by the government doesn't make them the same thing.  Providing money for someone's retirement and providing food coupons to ensure that no one starves are very different things.  To start with, it would cost the government a pittance to ensure everyone was fed in this country.

Also, if the various things I've described are implemented, we can probably afford to get rid of social security anyway, because social security was intended as a safety net, and it isn't needed when you have plans to insure everyone is fed, housed, and given medical aid in addition to the education and law enforcement that is already provided.

All this beating around the bush has simply resulted in systems that are far less efficient than if we simply implemented a system with the clear purpose to ensure that people's basic (but not higher) needs will be met.  Here is my general budget, derived from 2007 figures:
New Things
900 Billion for Healthcare
75 Billion for Housing
50 Billion for Job Assistance
25 Billion for Food
Old Stuff (none of it is changed by more than 10 billion, usually raised, with the exception of Defense and Welfare)
350 Billion for Defense
100 Billion for Education
80 Billion for Transportation
70 Billion for Veteran's Benefits
50 Billion for Administration of Justice
30 Billion each for the Natural Resources and Environment, Foreign Affairs, Agriculture, Community and Regional Development, Science and Tech, Energy, and General Government
250 Billion on Debt Interest
Net Cost: 2.16 Trillion, Net Revenue of same year: 2.4 Trillion

Also, while there are risks regarding motivation to be productive, its better than the current system, where people are often unable to productive even if they are motivated, and this realization leads to them being not interested in trying.

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: