Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Opinions on genetically modified crops
I Read This
December 11, 2018, 12:48:57 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on genetically modified crops  (Read 7364 times)
Current
Pundit

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 07:02:18 EDT »

Give Japan a few years, and their military culture will reassert its self. It didn't die when the constitution was changed to revoke the right of the Japanese government to have a standing army, it just mutated into their "live to work" culture.

That said, it's going to take a few decades to get their navy and air force up to scratch. After that, though, the Chinese "throw people at it until it dies" tactic will fail miserably.

And Japan isn't known for bone-head political moves, of late. They keep quiet, try to mend relations with Korea, keep selling their various electronics to everyone... I think their national pride would be severely hurt if it was ever the case that a political move on their part was construed as an insult.

I used to know someone who theorises that the Japanese, quite understandably, are trying to get off their tiny, earthquake infested, archipelago which is more mountains than habitable land... After they failed to do it via military might, they turned their attention to trying to get off their island via dominating the world economy via aggressive exports.
The same ideas were brought up by British imperialists in the 19th century.  They argued that Britain could never be a world power for long due to its small size.  They argued that Britain should make India into a sort of New Britain to solve this problem.

I expect the same sort of ideas were about in Japan too.
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 21:05:57 EDT »

To me the key to understanding Japanese culture, is where as American children are brought up with meme American is number one/the greatest, Japanese are brought up with japan is number 2 and is a small country that needs to work hard to maintain their status, this is couple with their 6 years of "cram hell" that the go though in intermediate and secondary school.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: