Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Darkeforce's Banning
I Read This
May 27, 2018, 11:15:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Darkeforce's Banning  (Read 10949 times)
Schmorgluck
Devout Discordian
Political Analyst

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 08:03:25 EDT »

If anything, the incessant thread derailing made it necessary.
Kudos to the admin team, I know it is never an easy decision (having contributed to such decisions elsewhere, at times).
I don't want to brag about the fall of someone that can't answer anymore, but I think ultimately Darkeforce's only redeeming quality was his text color gimmick, that made his post very easy to skip and ignore, which is something I had done almost systematically lately. That, and skipping all the threads he had totally derailed. Oh so many threads have fallen to his whim.
Still, a ban is never easy to decide. But, seriously, it was overdue, it had been for a long time.

There's no such thing as female intelligence.
Manufacturing Dissent
Survivor of a year in France
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 09:41:30 EDT »

Oddly enough, thread derailing did not play into the decision very much, or at least into my support for the banning.  If derailing a thread was enough to get someone warnings and a banning, half the active members on this forum would be in trouble.

What really set Darkeforce apart was his attitude towards both the forum staff and other members.  While other members have received warnings in the past they have been met with a general mia culpa and more often than not effort to avoid repetition.  This was not the case with Darkeforce, who was on more than one occasion extremely disrespectful to the staff.

I think it actually gives great credit to our members that in the entire time IRT has been up, this is the first instance of a member gathering enough warnings to warrant a ban.

"If it had not been for the discontent of a few fellows who had not been satisfied with their conditions, you would still be living in caves. Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.

Progress is born of agitation. It is agitation or stagnation."
     -Eugene Debs (1855- 1926)
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2008, 00:43:35 EDT »

Wait, what about the anti-semitic dude a while back?

Also, was that account that made about 18ish posts before being banned the Darkeforce one?

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2008, 00:47:32 EDT »

The anti-semitic dude was banned, also. Darkeforce's multi is listed in the wall of shame, this forum.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
FireyTiger
Campaign Directors
Talking Head

Keith Olbermann's Stalker, apparently...

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 01:55:43 EDT »

The anti-semitic guy was just banned as a troll, he didn't need to earn enough warnings. I think what MD was saying is that other than the blatant trolls, we've not had anybody who was a serious rule-breaking offender at this forum. Darkeforce excluded, of course.

Quote from: azdb7
I'm sorry, you still seem to think your opinion is relevant.  Please re-examine the earlier posts and try again.
Manufacturing Dissent
Survivor of a year in France
Pundit

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2008, 01:59:35 EDT »

And Angie sums it up pretty well.  No need for me to add further detail.

"If it had not been for the discontent of a few fellows who had not been satisfied with their conditions, you would still be living in caves. Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.

Progress is born of agitation. It is agitation or stagnation."
     -Eugene Debs (1855- 1926)
Gizensha
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008, 08:12:25 EDT »

Oddly enough, thread derailing did not play into the decision very much, or at least into my support for the banning.  If derailing a thread was enough to get someone warnings and a banning, half the active members on this forum would be in trouble.

Including some of the mods.

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: