Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Darkeforce's Banning
I Read This
July 15, 2018, 18:55:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Darkeforce's Banning  (Read 11132 times)
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 22:38:29 EDT »

You mean he registered and logged in as a different user?

Correct.  His new account was spotted and banned within minutes of its creation, hence why hardly anyone noticed until something was said here.
Eon
The Cute and Fuzzy Author of Eon's Comic
Talking Head

I like vixens!

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 14:27:54 EDT »

Amazing. You'd think he could take a hint after one ban. Maybe he just likes hanging around a place where he feels he's institutionally oppressed and that nobody likes him.

Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 14:34:31 EDT »

He may have a future in academia yet!

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Avistew
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 14:57:55 EDT »

You're all making me sick. I can't believe I came back to this forum. That's it, I'm gone.
Eon
Talking Head

I like vixens!

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 15:15:00 EDT »

Goodbye. *waves*

rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 18:38:21 EDT »

You're all making me sick. I can't believe I came back to this forum. That's it, I'm gone.

What makes you sick about enfoaces the agree upon rules?

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
boring7
Political Analyst

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 18:38:52 EDT »

This brings back warm memories of another particularly useless waste of bandwidth named Nimbo1 I watched back in the wiffling days of wandering EZboard.  

Nimbo, (sometimes affectionately referred to as "The Nimbonater") was a Catholic, but not just any old Catholic, he was a hard-core fundamentalist Catholic/self-hating homosexual/actor in musicals with 3 kids and a belief that by using insults, ill-logic, and seething hatred he could save a bunch of Atheists (it was an Atheist board) from themselves.  He was hilarious, could be counted on for his inability to learn, and never stopped shouting about how all religions (or lack thereof) were wrong, stupid, and hellbound.  The funniest was when you gave him the juxtaposition of Protestant faiths (wrong because they were new and "old knowledge is better") and Judaism (wrong because it was old, and...ummm, something about them running off or martyring prophets)

His final ban was an object of disappointment because we had come to rely on his inanity and outbursts to provide interest and amusement, an endlessly present punching bag using his amazing human brain to come up with thousands of excuses, explanations, and defenses for his ludicrous inability to take in new information.  He was banned because he decided to use an image of some 9/11 jumpers as his avatar, and when asked by the mods to remove it, he chose to go into a rant about how this just proved everyone bitching against him was scared of death and damnation in two different threads, THEN change it.  

The fact that he did ultimately change it also led to some consternation, but it ended there.  

As for Darkey McNeverListens, tough call.  I got bored in his threads when he hit repeat #3 or 4 of his screeching rants about how his Radical Masculism was somehow NOT sexism, but I was considering wandering back right about the time he was kicked out.  

Forums live and breathe discussion and discussion is most often fueled by dissent.  Indeed, one could argue that life itself is about conflict and activity, the philosophical musings of the nature of life and living.  The Sigilverse is all about that concept.  One might ask: Is the loss of a source of hate, bile, and invective such as Darkeforce going to cost the forum some of its vital essence?  

Shoot, I dunno, I'm just the new guy.  
Eon
Talking Head

I like vixens!

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 18:54:33 EDT »

Forums live and breathe discussion and discussion is most often fueled by dissent.  Indeed, one could argue that life itself is about conflict and activity, the philosophical musings of the nature of life and living.  The Sigilverse is all about that concept.  One might ask: Is the loss of a source of hate, bile, and invective such as Darkeforce going to cost the forum some of its vital essence?  

Unfortunately, discussions with Darkeforce rarely made any progress and tended to turn into an endless cycle of repeating the same arguments again and again because he was either unwilling or unable to concede defeat, even when it was so clear and obvious (to everyone else at least) that he was wrong. And his uncanny ability to derail literally any topic into a an argument about religion was stifling discussion here. Does anyone else remember my topic about Castro's resignation? Darkeforce, in his astounding scientific illiteracy, turned that into a topic about how water is proof of God's existence, for pity's sake!

In my not so humble opinion, we are well rid of him.

I still feel like the new guy and I've been here over a year now.

Gizensha
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 19:22:55 EDT »

I still feel like the new guy and I've been here over a year now.

...I still feel like the new guy and I got here a couple of weeks (or is that days) after the forum started...

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 23:44:30 EDT »

I feel like this board exists to worship me and me alone, jus like everything else in the world.

Rogue, we're liberals, liberals cant enforce rules...

*checks talking points*

Yeah, that's all right here in our political correctness calender '08, we are suppose to make a special case for everyone, and be even more weak on issues then ever before.  Remember, the surest way to make progress is to never take a stand on anything, ever.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Manufacturing Dissent
Survivor of a year in France
Pundit

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 07:57:07 EDT »

What makes you sick about enfoaces the agree upon rules?

My impression, which I confirmed earlier to be correct, is that her leaving has nothing to do with the banning, but rather the reaction to it, specifically the somewhat joking treatment of it by some members.

"If it had not been for the discontent of a few fellows who had not been satisfied with their conditions, you would still be living in caves. Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.

Progress is born of agitation. It is agitation or stagnation."
     -Eugene Debs (1855- 1926)
wodan46
Pundit

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 11:02:13 EDT »

Hmm.  Checked, out of the last 7 seven threads to be locked in Today's Editorial, 6 had Darkeforce rants near the end.  The last was due to Psy and Rwipkul being the only people left arguing in the thread.

The plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes". Not "data".
Eon
Talking Head

I like vixens!

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 11:40:47 EDT »

Hmm.  Checked, out of the last 7 seven threads to be locked in Today's Editorial, 6 had Darkeforce rants near the end.  The last was due to Psy and Rwipkul being the only people left arguing in the thread.

You see what I mean?

Manufacturing Dissent
Survivor of a year in France
Pundit

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 11:51:55 EDT »

There are several voices of dissent on this forum, though, who have proven to be able to make a positive contribution to debate.  The loss of one voice of dissent, particularily one with a talent for rerailing threads into shouting matches over trivialities is not something I foresee causing major problems.

"If it had not been for the discontent of a few fellows who had not been satisfied with their conditions, you would still be living in caves. Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.

Progress is born of agitation. It is agitation or stagnation."
     -Eugene Debs (1855- 1926)
Eon
Talking Head

I like vixens!

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 12:01:37 EDT »

There are several voices of dissent on this forum, though, who have proven to be able to make a positive contribution to debate.  The loss of one voice of dissent, particularily one with a talent for rerailing threads into shouting matches over trivialities is not something I foresee causing major problems.

A) Me neither.

B) Keeping voices of dissent around is not sufficient reason to allow said voices of dissent to repeatedly break the rules.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: