Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Greetings and Salutations!
I Read This
November 18, 2018, 03:10:17 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings and Salutations!  (Read 5336 times)
Blue Boy from Red Country
Political Analyst

« on: August 24, 2008, 10:49:56 EDT »

Hello!

Just figured I'd introduce myself before making any posts. Wink

I decided to join this forum because of my growing interest in politics and government.

After seeing the first general election I voted in in 2000 turned into a convoluted mess and the re-election of a President who seemed only interesting in forcing his own agenda, Obama has proven a breath of fresh air that has actually encouraged me to learn more about what's going on in the political arena.

However, the mainstream media is giving me a headache. The articles tend to copy each other and no one bothers to provide a few simple facts to help put things in context. (For example, when Obama was criticized for playing the "race card," I saw his quote about four times before I learned who, when, and where he had said it.) And the opinion articles? ::shudder:: Let's say, I expected a certain level of scholarship from professionals; it seems sometimes they struggle just to be civil.

I began reading the posts here and found discussions are generally civil and at least moderately informed.

But, enough of that...

I'm a software developer working and living in Western New York. Beyond the cliched video games, my hobbies include writing, art, and pretty much any form of creative expression as well as studying various religions and philosophies. I've been a long time reader of both Ozy and Mille and I Drew This, after a friend of mine showed me the site back in college.

I choose my screen name based on my background. I grew up in a fairly rural area of New York - which contrary to what many think has quite a bit of farmland and forests - that was a Republican stronghold. Most local elections were decided in Republican primaries; Democrats were effective a third party and I doubt those running for national office get much support from voters in my hometown.

Well, I don't know how active of a member I'll be, but hopefully I won't prove to be too much of a pain in the butt. Tongue

Just for reference, my rating on the Political Compass:

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

Manufacturing Dissent
Survivor of a year in France
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 10:58:55 EDT »

Welcome to the forum!

"If it had not been for the discontent of a few fellows who had not been satisfied with their conditions, you would still be living in caves. Intelligent discontent is the mainspring of civilization.

Progress is born of agitation. It is agitation or stagnation."
     -Eugene Debs (1855- 1926)
Gizensha
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 12:13:48 EDT »

Hey there Smiley

Hope you enjoy your stay here. What sort of videogames?

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Vicious Reasoning
Talking Head

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 13:20:52 EDT »

Welcome.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 13:48:52 EDT »

Yo!

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 15:18:39 EDT »

Are any musical instruments included in that self-expression bit?

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Political Analyst

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 19:44:38 EDT »

Are any musical instruments included in that self-expression bit?

Not unless you count vocals.

My reason for never learning is actually kind of pathetic... Joining band in High School would have required me to miss classes to take lessons. (Yeah, class attendance was that important to me.)

I did start trying to learn piano, but my dad threw the piano out soon after I got interested in it. I'm thinking of taking a music theory class in the near future, though, and might get a keyboard or piano to try my hand at composing and performing my own music.

What kind of video games?

RPGs, platformers, and party games mostly. I like to lay back and relax when playing, so I tend to prefer games that involve strategy over reflex.

Some of my favorites: Final Fantasy IV & VI, Civilization 4, Yoshi's Island, Smash Bros. Brawl

And, yes, long winded responses to simple questions are my forte. Wink
Gizensha
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 20:37:55 EDT »

RPGs, platformers, and party games mostly. I like to lay back and relax when playing, so I tend to prefer games that involve strategy over reflex.

Mmm... See, I dislike games that are pure reflex, but like non bullet-hell shmups. (Particularly fond of those that are trippy enough to chill to, so 'anything by Jeff Minter' is on my 'yay' list, more or less)...

...Lets see, though... Like RPGs... Prefer games that involve strategy over reflex... Would that mean you enjoy tactical RPGs over more traditional combat systems? (And how about the Roguelike subgenre)

Some of my favorites: Final Fantasy IV & VI

...I have a certain amount of hatred towards the ATB, personally... Still. The plots of most FF games are reasonable, even if Square Enix have an annoying addiction to non-interactive methods of portraying them.

Civilization 4

Eh, still think Alpha Centourai (with or without the Alien Crossfire expansion, preferably with) is the best game in the Civ series.

Yoshi's Island, Smash Bros. Brawl

...I'm still annoyed that Pokemon Stadium rather than Pokefloats was the pokemon Melee stage that made it. I liked pokefloats. But ah well, Brawl is better than Melee in pretty much all other respects.

Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 20:53:28 EDT »

You... LIKED pokefloats?

That was the cheapest, most annoying level ever. There were very few ways to get a first attack in if you started on one of the hands.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Gizensha
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 21:01:52 EDT »

You... LIKED pokefloats?

Sure I did. Was the only moving stage (ok, it wasn't moving, the platforms were appearing and disappearing) I did like, really. Plus it was the place that Pichu Only Very Frequent Items Poison Mushroom Only Tiny Melee was the most entertaining. Especially around Sudowoodo.

Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 22:40:10 EDT »

Blue Boy, do you have blue balls about Disgaea 3?

I do.
I'd desperately trying to get enough done so I can take some time off when it comes out.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Current
Pundit

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 06:04:48 EDT »

Welcome
purplecat
Mad Scientist
Pundit

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 17:29:39 EDT »

Belated welcomings, you new person from the empire state.

I began reading the posts here and found discussions are generally civil and at least moderately informed.

Er.. are you sure you've got the right forum?

Well, I don't know how active of a member I'll be, but hopefully I won't prove to be too much of a pain in the butt. Tongue

I'm sure you won't, just read the rules, and the intro thread from my fellow mods.

Just for reference, my rating on the Political Compass:

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

We have another thread for that (see my sig), which I might be updating sometime this century.

Purplecat: Keeper of the political compass thread. Want to be on the graph? post your results here

Me: (No, seriously, this entire forum has the attention span of an..... oooh! shiny!)
Political Analyst

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 20:45:36 EDT »

Belated welcomings, you new person from the empire state.

Er.. are you sure you've got the right forum?

It's the Internet. My expectations for "civil" aren't that high. Tongue

We have another thread for that (see my sig), which I might be updating sometime this century.

Thanks. I had some trouble finding it. XD

HiFranc
Political Analyst

Me on holiday in Germany

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 18:14:42 EDT »

Welcome to I Drew This and the forums thereof.

Francisco,
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: