Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Canadian seperatists unite!
I Read This
May 27, 2018, 11:44:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian seperatists unite!  (Read 11501 times)
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 22:09:32 EDT »

Ed's a tough old buzzard. I think it would more likely be Sheila holding Peter McKay's balls (not that he ever uses them....)

"Going to War for Peace,
is like Screwing for Virginity."

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 00:25:52 EDT »

Like she'd have a chance, he'd curl up in a fetal position and someone would just start kicking him, hell, probaby Harper.

Ed might not go down if you tore off an arm, but he's the only guy with any stomach currently brawling in the NDP.  Too bad I disagree with him on everything, as he's probably the most intellectually consistent of the lot.  You know Dion would scream like a child and wet himself, I suspect Rae or Iggy wold gut him muttering "How did I lose to you?".

Now I can't get the image of Duceppe with a switchblade out of my mind.  I always wanted him o pull one on Martin and scream "C'mon fatso"

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 21:49:23 EDT »

I always pictured Duceppe as Bugs Bunny, hiding behind a tree, as Daffy (Harper) and Elmer Fudd (Dion) fight with each other due to the bamboozling Bugs laid on them.

"Going to War for Peace,
is like Screwing for Virginity."

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
Vicious Reasoning
Talking Head

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 00:44:45 EDT »

Also; "Canadian separatists" and "conservative"? I can't make that fit together in my head, but that's just me...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "separatists unite" concept myself... I can't quite place my finger on what is wrong with that phrase... Tongue

Welcome to IRT, Heq.
Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 02:27:26 EDT »

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "separatists unite" concept myself... I can't quite place my finger on what is wrong with that phrase... Tongue

The same thing that caused the international group of xenophobes from getting representation in the EU due to in-fighting preventing it getting representatives together from fifteen nations.

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Vicious Reasoning
Talking Head

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 00:57:08 EDT »

Oh, and do come to IRC sometime, Heq.  It could really use more frequenters.

#ireadthis on irc.cyanide-x.net

Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 01:43:50 EDT »

Wait, we have IRC?

Awesomeness.

"No common man could believe such a thing, you'd have to be an intellectual to fall for anything as stupid as that."-Orwell
Jeremy
Political Commentator

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2008, 13:21:34 EDT »

Any man or woman who bows to another makes themselves lesser, and no man or woman shuld bow to the Queen or her representatives, especially when one looks at the english empire and all the evil it has caused.

Firstly, that depends on what you mean by "lesser". Do you mean "physically and inherently inferior", or "deferential to persons of social or practical authority"? The former, of course, is reprehensible; but the latter is an important part of societal cohesion, be that authority the Queen, the Pope, the Mayor, or the chairman of General Electric.

Secondly, remember that the Prime Minister, and our elected Cabinet, and the House of Commons, and even the Senate, are agents of the Crown. The Constitution clearly states they govern on its behalf. To turn one's back on the Crown is to turn one's back on the very foundation of our nation's model of democracy as we know it.

Lastly, in the oaths of loyalty administered in this country, one swears allegiance to "the Queen, and her heirs and successors". It does not require your approval of the past indescretions of the Crown or its agents, no matter how heinous. Loyalty to the Crown is loyalty to its present and future, not its past.

In conclusion, I know full well that many Republicans, Anarchists and Anti-Monarchists shal look upon our Monarchy, and ask, "Why?" But I, inclining to stasis, and pleased with my country, shall ask instead "Why not?"

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2008, 22:04:38 EDT »

Secondly, remember that the Prime Minister, and our elected Cabinet, and the House of Commons, and even the Senate, are agents of the Crown. The Constitution clearly states they govern on its behalf. To turn one's back on the Crown is to turn one's back on the very foundation of our nation's model of democracy as we know it.

Actually, the Westminster system under which you and I live was designed to put a limit on the power of the monarch, and its most egregious excesses which were killing England slowly. That said, the Westminster system would survive very aptly without a head-of-state-by-birthright.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.

(because no-one will save the governor-general.)

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Jeremy
Political Commentator

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 00:00:39 EDT »

Actually, the Westminster system under which you and I live was designed to put a limit on the power of the monarch

Exactly. The system is symbiotic: The legislature saves the Crown from its excesses, and the Crown gives the legislature the nearly unbridled authority to govern.

That said, the Westminster system would survive very aptly without a head-of-state-by-birthright.

By birthright, maybe not. But we do need a head of state. Perhaps a system of adoption of suitable rulers would do, like the early emperors of Rome - a system which produced such greats as Caesar Augustus and Marcus Aurelius.
Heq
Trouble
Pundit

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 04:01:40 EDT »

Both of whom brought immense suffering upon their people's in their vain quests for personal glory.  Though Octavious at least smartened up later in life, still I don't consider either of their imperial reigns to have been a "win" for the amjority of people.  They were just much, much better then most other historical despots.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: