Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New Forum
I Read This
July 23, 2018, 04:05:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should we add a board for religious/spiritual discussion to I Read This  (Voting closed: January 04, 2009, 16:17:55 EST)
Yes, this is a good idea - 3 (37.5%)
No, we don't need this - 3 (37.5%)
Unsure/No Opinion - 2 (25%)
Other (Please Comment) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Forum  (Read 6568 times)
Vicious Reasoning
Talking Head

« on: June 14, 2008, 06:02:45 EDT »

Since the topic of religion seems to pop up so frequently around here, I think it might be prudent to create a new forum under "Other Stuff" specifically for such debating. If we all agree to keep the topic of religion quarantined in its own forum, perhaps fewer threads will be derailed by god debates.

I would suggest the name to simply be "Religion" for the sake of simplicity and inclusion (if someone wants to talk about something like Buddhism, "Faith" doesn't work so well,) but I know specific members would object to that.

Opinions?
Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 12:02:45 EDT »

If we were to, I'd go for 'Religion and Spirituality' for its name.

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
agharo
Political Analyst

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 19:00:28 EDT »

Might as well call it "Useless arguments".

[/snark]
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 20:47:17 EDT »

It'd have to be Religion and Faith, because the two don't mean the same.

And Religion is very much Politics

"Going to War for Peace,
is like Screwing for Virginity."

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
Vicious Reasoning
Talking Head

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 03:47:14 EDT »

If this *were* to happen, how about: "Faith, Religion, and Spirituality" (In alphabetical order, so no one can complain about *their* term for the subject getting precedence due to bias.)
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 16:16:32 EST »

Bumping this, and adding a poll, because it's a pretty good idea that sort of fizzled for some reason.
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 17:36:02 EST »

If this *were* to happen, how about: "Faith, Religion, and Spirituality" (In alphabetical order, so no one can complain about *their* term for the subject getting precedence due to bias.)

How about Faith, Religion, Spirituality, Xylophone, and Zoology?

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Aeron
Political Commentator

What?

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 02:02:39 EST »

I think it's still a good idea, even though the member who made a separate forum for 'religion' necessary finally had his preachy ass banned.
purplecat
Mad Scientist
Pundit

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 14:47:55 EST »

I don't think we need a new subforum for it. We just need to stop derailing everything in that direction. How about one sticky "Big old religious thread of DOOM", and keep a lid on it that way.

Purplecat: Keeper of the political compass thread. Want to be on the graph? post your results here

Me: (No, seriously, this entire forum has the attention span of an..... oooh! shiny!)
Icedragon
Pundit

IDT colorist

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 01:07:18 EST »

I don't think we need a new subforum for it. We just need to stop derailing everything in that direction. How about one sticky "Big old religious thread of DOOM", and keep a lid on it that way.

Good luck.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else." - Teddy Roosevelt

"The internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck. It's a series of tubes!" -Sen. Ted Stevens
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: