Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Software update
I Read This
November 18, 2018, 04:00:56 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Software update  (Read 11651 times)
Current
Pundit

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 05:57:55 EDT »

Earlier someone said that using many concurrent connections with Firefox slows the site down.  Could someone tell me where the setting in Firefox to do this is, so I can turn it off?
Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 18:24:01 EDT »

I'm going to guess it's "network.http.max-connections-per-server", over in about:config (being a more advanced setting, I wouldn't expect it to appear in the GUI preferences dialog).

Current
Pundit

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 05:00:20 EDT »

I'm going to guess it's "network.http.max-connections-per-server", over in about:config (being a more advanced setting, I wouldn't expect it to appear in the GUI preferences dialog).
What is a good setting?  My machine was on the default which is 8.
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 09:26:24 EDT »

Five at most, usually. It depends on the kinds of servers you visit, though. I think five was mentioned earlier here.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Current
Pundit

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 12:52:23 EDT »

Five at most, usually. It depends on the kinds of servers you visit, though. I think five was mentioned earlier here.
Interesting, the folks who write Firefox aren't being too kind to people who own servers.
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2008, 17:46:16 EDT »

I was unaware of what the default setting for Firefox is, I was going by the number used by IE (which is 5).  I've increased the concurrent connection limit from 5 to 10, to allow for some wiggle-room.

The reason I did this in the first place is because people set the limit in their browsers very high (like, 30) to increase performance, which puts load on the server in single, massive spike instead of spreading out like it's supposed to.  Those of you who have done this will probably notice the site starting to load in a short burst, then a delay when the firewall starts ignoring you, then continuing piece by piece.  Thus, this performance tweak is not recommended.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: