Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Software update
I Read This
July 19, 2018, 09:34:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Software update  (Read 11086 times)
Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« on: January 21, 2008, 22:02:46 EST »

Apologies for the short notice, but we will be updating the forum software at 5 am UTC (midnight local time).  Downtime will last an hour or less.

Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:26:13 EST »

Ack, sorry for the delay in getting back up

At least it's working now.

Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 13:44:48 EST »

There's an issue with permissions that we're working to resolve, sorry for the inconvenience!
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 16:06:20 EST »

Yah I can post now Cool

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 17:04:21 EST »

Indeed, the permissions bug has been fixed, but there's still a problem with uploadable avatars.  So, please don't upload any avatars until this is fixed.
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 00:43:58 EST »

Woot. No rush, btw.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
FireyTiger
Campaign Directors
Talking Head

Keith Olbermann's Stalker, apparently...

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 12:27:20 EST »

Not to add to your problems, but the "new" and "read" icons aren't showing up correctly. I can't tell the difference between a topic with new posts and those without, unless i read when the last post was made. <.<

Like Medivh said though, take your time. ^^

Quote from: azdb7
I'm sorry, you still seem to think your opinion is relevant.  Please re-examine the earlier posts and try again.
Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 16:19:37 EST »

Not to add to your problems, but the "new" and "read" icons aren't showing up correctly. I can't tell the difference between a topic with new posts and those without, unless i read when the last post was made. <.<

Like Medivh said though, take your time. ^^

Temporary work around - Unless it breaks on you, threads with new posts have a little 'go to new post' icon link after the thread title.

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 23:33:19 EST »

The problem with uploading avatars has now been corrected.  You may now upload your avatars to the site smiley
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 10:52:11 EST »

Since the update, this site has been going agonizingly slowly. Is this something to do with my connection? It doesn't happen with other sites.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 15:35:20 EST »

Since the update, this site has been going agonizingly slowly. Is this something to do with my connection? It doesn't happen with other sites.

Well, a couple days ago, I imposed a limit on the number of concurrent connections per IP address.  Some of you have adjusted Firefox for increased speed, and to do so, you dramatically increased the number of connections it makes at a time.  This is a bad thing, especially when a bunch of you are using the site all at once (the server sent me a critical alert because it thought it was being DOSed, there were so many people doing this at one point), so I reduced the number of concurrent connections per IP address to 5.

However, I just removed the administrative exemption for myself and my staff from this firewall setting, and I noticed a marked decrease in site performance (I'm using IE), so I adjusted the limit, and I will continue to do so to find the optimal configuration.  This is the sort of thing I honestly have little experience with, so please bear with me as I learn what the best settings should be.

Sorry about that Undecided
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 15:37:22 EST by Felix J. Lockhart » Logged
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 16:39:15 EST »

I didn't do that. I actually use safari.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 16:46:41 EST »

Well, the limit I initially had was too low, and appeared to be affecting everyone.  Does it seem faster now?
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 18:54:21 EST »

It seems fine to me. A lot easier to navigate, too. And the Quick-Reply is an absolute blessing. I've been loving it at other boards I frequent and I was glad to see it show up here.

"Going to War for Peace,
is like Screwing for Virginity."

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 21:19:53 EST »

Well, the limit I initially had was too low, and appeared to be affecting everyone.  Does it seem faster now?

Not really. It took about a minute and a half to load up this post reply page.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: