Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Theming ideas
I Read This
July 23, 2018, 04:04:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Theming ideas  (Read 4412 times)
Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« on: November 29, 2007, 18:32:52 EST »

Well, in a few weeks, IRT will be moving to a new server, bringing with it a nice new forum upgrade.

Unfortunately, this will break our existing skin.  But, this does provide me with an opportunity to re-think parts of it, as I begin the process of altering SMF's new defaults to match our existing look and feel.  For instance, the tab bar looks nicer than the menu buttons we have now.

So, the question is, what parts of IRT's theme do you like, and want me to recreate?  And what parts do you hate, wishing I would just get rid of?

Also, if you have ideas for things you'd like to see added, this is your chance to speak up too.

(Attached: a brief look at the work in progress, showing some old, some new)

rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 18:38:47 EST »

Well I like the fact you have if not a full white back groun then a full black background, other corulers can produce contrast issues

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 22:05:21 EST »

Ooooooo, looks nice so far!  The blue is a nice touch, gives it some colour without really changing the scheme.

The only things I see that need attention are the form buttons, there should be more contrast in their colours.  That's about it, though.
Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 06:57:50 EST »

"It seems you are not able to download attatchments from this board."

Not sure if that's a problem or not, I kinda assume it is, but...

Well I like the fact you have if not a full white back groun then a full black background, other corulers can produce contrast issues

The main issue I have with the current default skin is that there's no alternate for people who struggle to read white on black (there are some who do, conversely there are those who struggle with black on white on monitors). If we're going for white on black as the main theme again, would it be possible for an inverse secondary theme? (Though that might cause problems with both those who use colour for their posts (Hello, Darkeforce), and official mod announcements. Unless there's some way of, by code, inverting the hex values of colours (#ffffff - colour = newcolour would be the equation to turn white to black and black to white), although I'm not sure that would actually work for all colours, and it would need to apply to posting as well as to viewing from the white skin. I'm presuming that this isn't possible (or rather, practically possible), to be honest)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 07:08:33 EST by Gizensha » Logged

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 07:30:59 EST »

The only things I see that need attention are the form buttons

If you're referring to the "Search" and "go" buttons, that's just an artifact of my current GTK+ theme, interacting with SMF defaults (and, as such, there is no actual code change there).

Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 13:04:18 EST »

Ahh, ok.  And Gizensha, there will probably be the use the forum default as an alternate, which is a light background with dark text.  I currently use it myself, though I plan on switching to the dark theme on the new board.  And yes, users' text colours override the forum default, so posts from people like Darkeforce (there are others as well, but he's the most active member who does it, and thus the most memorable) are almost impossible to read with the light theme.
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 19:36:37 EST »

The main thing that concerns me is the continuation of the light text on a black background, and since that's being continued, I'm happy. I do like the fact that forum folder links are at the bottom, as well at the top of the thread page (it seems). EasyGesture's Top command is handy, but I'd be glad to not have to use it anymore, since the page link at the bottom of the thread pages here usually doesn't work, unless you actually make a post.

"Going to War for Peace,
is like Screwing for Virginity."

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: