Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
police blotter
I Read This
July 23, 2018, 04:06:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: police blotter  (Read 3865 times)
detrius
Talking Head

caffeinated

« on: September 10, 2007, 09:37:07 EDT »

Do you think there could be some kind of police blotter added to the forum where the reasoning that led to the banning of certain forumites would be posted, so the blissfully unaware and the culprits themselves have a chance to understand why that action was taken?

Nothing overly complex, a short summary should do nicely in most cases.

\\\"Stercus, stercus, stercus, moriturus sum.\\\"
  -- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

\\\"Multiple exclamation marks,\\\" he went on, shaking his head, \\\"are a sure sign of a diseased mind.\\\"
    -- (Terry Pratchett, Eric)
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 12:17:49 EDT »

The culprits are told by email. A wall of shame would be nice, though.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
detrius
Talking Head

caffeinated

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 14:52:54 EDT »

Well, my intention was not to pillory someone but to increase the level of transparency in order to lower the number of leaving forumites.

\\\"Multiple exclamation marks,\\\" he went on, shaking his head, \\\"are a sure sign of a diseased mind.\\\"
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 03:12:27 EDT »

Wall of shame in the same vein as the "Drop it already!" forum. Pretty much your police blotter idea, under a worse name.

But that's what I'll do

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
detrius
Talking Head

caffeinated

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 04:22:41 EDT »

Look, the "Drop it already" subforum contains all deleted posts. There's no distinction between posts that got deleted because the author reconsidered his or her decision to comment on a topic and posts that were removed because they contain racist hate speech. Also, some actions taken by the mods don't necessarily come along with the removal of postings. The latest user ban wasn't accompanied by any deleted posts or any 'official' explanation for example (this post doesn't count, it's not admin-yellow ;P). In other words: the "Drop it already" forum in it's current form is pretty much worthless in regards to documenting the actions taken by the mods.

My suggestion really boils down to the addition of a stickied and locked no-discussion-thread where the mods post short comments like
User: iamatroll
Issue: is obviously a troll
Response: banned (other responses could be "warning issued", "post moderation" and "suspended for x days")

Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 04:28:00 EDT »

Yup. That's what I meant by a wall of shame. Worse name for it than yours though, I suppose, because of the connotations.

But that's what I'll do

Yes...
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 00:50:24 EDT »

In case y'all haven't noticed, we implemented this:  http://www.ireadthis.org/index.php?topic=3401.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: