Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
The real reason we're in Iraq
I Read This
September 24, 2018, 01:39:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: The real reason we're in Iraq  (Read 12027 times)
Andrei
Political Analyst

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 02:04:55 EDT »

Quote from: Vicious Reasoning
Out of morbid curiosity, why was Chemical Garden banned?
I've checked out his latest messages and, unless something was altogether removed (i.e. not even kept in 'waste disposal'), he hasn't been any more of a brat than he usually is...

I wonder why he's been banned too.

He looked severely at me for awhile, then, grabbing his moustaches, he said:
- Boss, with all due respect, you are naive and pedant.

"Alexis Zorba", by Nikos Kazantzakis (translation mine)
Mycroft
Rational Anarchist
Pundit

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2007, 07:46:55 EDT »

You just don't have any mechanism to weed out the mentally ill candidates, like Dubya and Reagan.

No country has such a mechanism.  Which is why everyone should be watching their government, constantly and carefully, from a rocking chair on the porch, cradling a shotgun and laughing, laughing!

Hmm, kind of a tangent there.

The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic. –  H.L. Mencken
DavidLeoThomas
Pundit

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2007, 07:51:29 EDT »

You just don't have any mechanism to weed out the mentally ill candidates, like Dubya and Reagan.

No country has such a mechanism.  Which is why everyone should be watching their government, constantly and carefully, from a rocking chair on the porch, cradling a shotgun and laughing, laughing!

I somehow find your change of avatar appropriate, given the direction that went.

That said, what you describe *is* such a mechanism - not as effective a one as it might be, but nothing's perfect.

"America means civil liberties.  Patriotism means protecting them."
Mycroft
Rational Anarchist
Pundit

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 07:57:54 EDT »

I somehow find your change of avatar appropriate, given the direction that went.

That said, what you describe *is* such a mechanism - not as effective a one as it might be, but nothing's perfect.

Unfortunately, the default position for most people is to trust the government.  Trust it with authority, power, money, information, and managing the people's affairs.  My default position is to restrict government's access to all those things.  When they start using the money I gave them last week the way I want them to, they can have more.  For the moment, they spend it on proverbial candy and comic books.

The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic. –  H.L. Mencken
ronrab
Political Analyst

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 16:48:36 EDT »

I would /love/ my government to be spending taxes on candy and comic books, as long as they share with the class.
Schmorgluck
Devout Discordian
Political Analyst

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 18:45:08 EDT »

Unfortunately, the default position for most people is to trust the government.  Trust it with authority, power, money, information, and managing the people's affairs.
I'd rather say that the default position for most people is to rely on journalists to keep an eye on the mess. That is, after all, what journalists are supposed to do.
Yeah, it's a sad and scary world.

There's no such thing as female intelligence.
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2007, 00:31:01 EDT »

Quote from: Vicious Reasoning
Out of morbid curiosity, why was Chemical Garden banned?
I've checked out his latest messages and, unless something was altogether removed (i.e. not even kept in 'waste disposal'), he hasn't been any more of a brat than he usually is...

I wonder why he's been banned too.

Chemical Garden's banning has been under discussion for quite some time by the staff members, and we finally decided to ban him.  The reason is that, while he hadn't specifically violated any rules, we felt he was an extreme case of violating the spirit of the site rules, and the site would be better off without him here.  Many of his posts were either outright malicious, or close to it, and after weighing the pros and cons, we decided it'd be best to ban him.

This isn't the ideal way to handle things, and part of the problem is that our forum rules are very vague.  We are in the process of revising them, but it's not an easy process, because we have to strike a very delicate balance between allowing free self-expression, and maintaining order.  When we do get a working draft, it will be presented to the membership here for approval/discussion, before being implemented.

There was a suggestion presented earlier for a "police blotter" to display disciplinary actions taken in a public setting.  I think this is a great idea, and while we haven't really had a chance to discuss it, we'll see what we can do.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: