Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
The real reason we're in Iraq
I Read This
November 15, 2018, 08:20:55 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The real reason we're in Iraq  (Read 12309 times)
Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 19:09:58 EDT »

I do not think that is necessarily the case, although it's worth noting that Thomas Jefferson considered such a notion.

The academics aren't necessarily the best leaders, but they are likely to make good advisers.

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Chemical Garden
Banned
Talking Head

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 13:16:58 EDT »

I've met many acedemics without a lick of leadership or common sense. 

The water that quit our thirst
Was not from earthly vineyards mined
And then we drunkenly sailed
The gutter of our invisible shrines
Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 13:19:45 EDT »

Common sense is rarely sensible. Lacking common sense is not a bad thing, since common sense is quite often blatantly false.

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
DavidLeoThomas
Pundit

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 14:11:34 EDT »

How exactly does this differ from politicians?

"America means civil liberties.  Patriotism means protecting them."
Zavion
This is my title.
Talking Head

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 14:37:40 EDT »

How exactly does this differ from politicians?

I don't think he's saying they have either; he's just saying that JUST being from acedemia does not give you any qualities towards leadership or pragmaticism (which is what I think he means by common sense). After all, look at some of our acedemically achieving people here, and some of the fairy tale things they say (but, I can back my fairy tale up with math!).

I don't like signatures, so I'm not making one.
What would you guys think I'd look like?

You're clearly a somewhat sexily thrusting cycloptic mecha with horns.
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 17:28:30 EDT »

And just what makes a spoiled, incompetent son of an oil baron so all-fired qualified to be leader of the US?

"Going to War for Peace,
is like Screwing for Virginity."

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
Zavion
This is my title.
Talking Head

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 17:41:51 EDT »

And just what makes a spoiled, incompetent son of an oil baron so all-fired qualified to be leader of the US?

I don't think he said that either. I'm not saying he might not come back and say it later, but I don't think anything he's said has alluded to that.

I don't like signatures, so I'm not making one.
What would you guys think I'd look like?

You're clearly a somewhat sexily thrusting cycloptic mecha with horns.
DavidLeoThomas
Pundit

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 17:50:36 EDT »

Nothing, it would seem.

"America means civil liberties.  Patriotism means protecting them."
Schmorgluck
Devout Discordian
Political Analyst

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 18:24:18 EDT »

You know what would be a novel idea? A US Executive branch that didn't consist entirely of millionaires.
Poor people can't be president.  Are they suppose to fund their campaign with food stamps? 
In other words, the system is prejudiced. Why shouldn't a poor person be president, just because they don't have millions of dollars? The typical American isn't a millionaire, and shouldn't the president be just a typical American?
Actually, though it's not widely known, there exists an optional public funding system in the USA, whithin certain limits.
In France, (I'll talk of what I know best) there's an automatic public refunding system for candidates that get at least 5% of votes, and the campaign budgets are restricted by law. The system existing in the States is similar, but is optional : no public funding -> no budget boundaries.

There's no such thing as female intelligence.
Chemical Garden
Banned
Talking Head

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 19:39:56 EDT »

Not much except I guess name recognition. 

However the thing is in America even if you have little money that doesn't mean you can't start small with local elections and work your way up through the state and eventually get enough support to go to a national office.  You might not be able to decide one day that you want to be president and be able to afford to run, but if you are good you can get there eventually.

The water that quit our thirst
Was not from earthly vineyards mined
And then we drunkenly sailed
The gutter of our invisible shrines
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 20:01:11 EDT »

Not much except I guess name recognition. 

However the thing is in America even if you have little money that doesn't mean you can't start small with local elections and work your way up through the state and eventually get enough support to go to a national office.  You might not be able to decide one day that you want to be president and be able to afford to run, but if you are good you can get there eventually.

You just don't have any mechanism to weed out the mentally ill candidates, like Dubya and Reagan.

"Going to War for Peace,

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
Vicious Reasoning
Talking Head

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 00:49:22 EDT »

Speaking of mentally ill, my family was driving somewhere. We had the radio on. They were having a discussion about Alberto Gonzales's resignation. They put in a sound clip from Bush's speech on the matter...

"He had his good name drug through the [pregnant pause, as if trying to recall what word comes next] ... mud."

We all burst out laughing.

EDIT:
One other thing. The professor of the politics class I'm currently taking in college mentioned some things about Bush the first day of class.
--------------
1. In preparation for Bush's 2000 campaign, Karl Rove had him take CHAINSAW LESSONS. (One strategy in making him look more like an average Texan, since Bush is really a rich east coast kid.)

2. Part of Bush's smear campaign was to make Kerry look like a sissy frenchie nancy boy. The irony of this is...

-Kerry killed men with his bare hands in Vietnam.

-Bush was a cheerleader in high school. (Damn, this would make a great political satire strip. If only I had an ounce of drawing talent.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 01:24:21 EDT by Vicious Reasoning » Logged
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 16:30:15 EDT »

2. Part of Bush's smear campaign was to make Kerry look like a sissy frenchie nancy boy. The irony of this is...

-Kerry killed men with his bare hands in Vietnam.

-Bush was a cheerleader in high school. (Damn, this would make a great political satire strip. If only I had an ounce of drawing talent.)

Gah! Now I have an image of Bush in a miniskirt in my brain. Owie!!

"Going to War for Peace,

Vicious Reasoning
Talking Head

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2007, 21:23:51 EDT »

Out of morbid curiosity, why was Chemical Garden banned?
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 06:13:19 EDT »

o0o0o0o, that's new.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: