Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
The real reason we're in Iraq
I Read This
July 19, 2018, 09:21:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The real reason we're in Iraq  (Read 11791 times)
Raiden Kitsune
Political Commentator

« on: August 30, 2007, 11:27:07 EDT »

I hope it hasn't been posted here fifty times already, but it was too good to not post.
DavidLeoThomas
Pundit

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:55:14 EDT »

Nice.

The real real reason, of course, is to make Cheney about 7 million dollars richer.

"America means civil liberties.  Patriotism means protecting them."
ronrab
Political Analyst

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 16:21:44 EDT »

Pfft.  'Million'?  Small taters.  They think big in Texas, boy.
DavidLeoThomas
Pundit

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 17:38:10 EDT »

Pfft.  'Million'?  Small taters.  They think big in Texas, boy.

About 7 million that we know about.  He owned $250,000 of Halliburton stock on 9/11/2001.  Today, that stock is worth $8 million.  My source being Lee Iacocca's book, although I've seen the same number elsewhere.

Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 18:25:01 EDT »

You know what would be a novel idea? A US Executive branch that didn't consist entirely of millionaires.

"Going to War for Peace,
is like Screwing for Virginity."

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
Vicious Reasoning
Talking Head

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 09:42:56 EDT »

And Senate... and the House.

Well, they don't consist entirely of millionaires (a little over 1/3, actually.) But this demographic is still massively different than that of the general citizenry. (1%)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 09:45:11 EDT by Vicious Reasoning » Logged
ronrab
Political Analyst

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 15:34:41 EDT »

According to a recent poll, the majority of congresscritters placed the average US income at $100,000.
DavidLeoThomas
Pundit

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 15:55:22 EDT »

According to a recent poll, the majority of congresscritters placed the average US income at $100,000.

Mean or median?  Also, including capital gains, or only salary?

Chemical Garden
Banned
Talking Head

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 01:00:18 EDT »

You know what would be a novel idea? A US Executive branch that didn't consist entirely of millionaires.

Poor people can't be president.  Are they suppose to fund their campaign with food stamps? 

The water that quit our thirst
Was not from earthly vineyards mined
And then we drunkenly sailed
The gutter of our invisible shrines
Zavion
This is my title.
Talking Head

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 04:01:15 EDT »

Hah, at the very least they could at least be minorly informed; even if one doesn't give a flying fuck about his fellow humans the very least he could do was be aware of them.

I don't like signatures, so I'm not making one.
What would you guys think I'd look like?

You're clearly a somewhat sexily thrusting cycloptic mecha with horns.
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 17:23:13 EDT »

Poor people can't be president.  Are they suppose to fund their campaign with food stamps? 

In other words, the system is prejudiced. Why shouldn't a poor person be president, just because they don't have millions of dollars? The typical American isn't a millionaire, and shouldn't the president be just a typical American?

"Going to War for Peace,

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
DavidLeoThomas
Pundit

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 17:39:10 EDT »

In other words, the system is prejudiced. Why shouldn't a poor person be president, just because they don't have millions of dollars? The typical American isn't a millionaire, and shouldn't the president be just a typical American?

No, the president should be an American cut out for the job.  I don't know that this means millionaire, or even necessarily "not poor," but it's not "typical American."

Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 17:47:06 EDT »

Just for the record, Bill Clinton grew up in a trailer and had a succession of step-fathers, at least one of which was abusive.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 18:04:04 EDT »

No, the president should be an American cut out for the job.  I don't know that this means millionaire, or even necessarily "not poor," but it's not "typical American."

Being a millionaire doesn't make the person the best person for the job. If that's the case, then the president should be chosen from Academia exclusively.

"Going to War for Peace,

DavidLeoThomas
Pundit

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 18:39:58 EDT »

Being a millionaire doesn't make the person the best person for the job.

I believe I stated that explicitly.  My contention is not with your statement that leadership shouldn't be chosen solely from the wealthy, but rather with your statement that they should be a "typical American."

If that's the case, then the president should be chosen from Academia exclusively.

I do not think that is necessarily the case, although it's worth noting that Thomas Jefferson considered such a notion.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: