Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
What time is it, where you are?
I Read This
November 19, 2018, 16:46:39 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: What time is it, where you are?  (Read 18886 times)
Sapphire A. Moerlevad
Cirqueophile
Political Analyst

Nothing is personal.

« on: May 22, 2007, 22:59:16 EDT »

While on IRC, wondering about talking to people possible across the world, I can't help but wonder what time zones people are in.

It would really help me get a perspective on how the board operates, I guess, understanding how people visit the boards relative to where they are. I mean, here in central Kentucky it can get a bid wonky because, though I'm in Eastern (GMT-05:00) if you go East not too far you get into Central (GMT-06:00). So I can't help but being confused with people wanting to go to bed at what for me is 9:00 PM, only to realize for them it might very well be two in the morning.

It'd also be helpful for understanding when IRC is going to be the most active, as I'm likely to be on sometime around GMT (let's see, about from Nine till maybe Eleven, but that's minus five, so I add five, I think which comes to fourteen and sixteen... no, wait, carry that around... you subtract twelve from that, that's it, for) 2:00 - 4:00 A.M.

I think.

Visit My blog, Five Minutes of Blue. Leave Comments. Meet people. Change the world.
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 01:48:58 EDT »

I'm in Central (CST/CDT)

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Just Some Kid
Talking Head

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 01:55:13 EDT »

Tokyo time over here. (As I type this, it's exactly 2:55 PM)
Zavion
This is my title.
Talking Head

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:02:30 EDT »

As of this typing it is 2:01AM, Wednesday 23rd of May, 2007 Common Era, Eastern Standard Time Zone, Daylight Saving Time in effect.

GWM/UTC -4 during Daylight Saving Time, GWM/UTC -5 during Standard Time.
We are the 'latest' Time Zone in the United States; that is, during Noon, it is 11AM in Central, 10AM Mountain and 9AM Pacific. Hawaii and Alaska exist further out. If it's 9PM to you and people are wanting to go to sleep they are most likely further east of you, where it is even later; in your scenario it's likely they are in the United Kingdom where at 9PM it would be 2AM of the next day. That is; when it's 9PM to you on Tueday, they have already began Wednesday.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:11:38 EDT by Zavion » Logged

I don't like signatures, so I'm not making one.
What would you guys think I'd look like?

You're clearly a somewhat sexily thrusting cycloptic mecha with horns.
Naman
Political Analyst

Your Friendly Neighborhood Misanthropist

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 03:00:50 EDT »

You can /ctcp time <nick> people on IRC. It doesn't really get too active, from my experience, though. 2 or 3 people at most, usually.

Capitalist philanthropy is like kneecapping someone, then paying for half of their medical bills.
Quis scribit ipsos scriptores?
Lissou
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 04:22:28 EDT »

It's 2:20 right now here in Edmonton. Add eight hours to have my time in France (I'll be back there in about a week).
Gizensha
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 05:02:19 EDT »

10:00am here in England right now. We're on BST (British Summer Time) at the moment as opposed to the usual GMT...

I'm stickying this since it goes with the 'map of members' sticky quite nicely, by the way

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 08:33:33 EDT »

EST/EDT here as well (UTC-5 outside the Daylight Saving Time period, UTC-4 at the moment).

purplecat
Mad Scientist
Pundit

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 08:37:29 EDT »

It would really help me get a perspective on how the board operates, I guess, understanding how people visit the boards relative to where they are. I mean, here in central Kentucky it can get a bid wonky because, though I'm in Eastern (GMT-05:00) if you go East not too far you get into Central (GMT-06:00). So I can't help but being confused with people wanting to go to bed at what for me is 9:00 PM, only to realize for them it might very well be two in the morning.

Hang on, you go east to get to a place that's one hour behind you? That's several different shades of wrong.

Oh, and I'm GMT/GMT+1 (northern hemisphere) as well.

Purplecat: Keeper of the political compass thread. Want to be on the graph? post your results here

Me: (No, seriously, this entire forum has the attention span of an..... oooh! shiny!)
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:41:12 EDT »

I've never quite figured out how to deal with daylight savings and timezones. GMT+10 usually, no idea during summer.

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
thomasdean
Talking Head

On Sabbatical in Italy!!

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 12:01:24 EDT »

Hang on, you go east to get to a place that's one hour behind you? That's several different shades of wrong.

Probably a typo since Central is west of Eastern (I'm in EDT at the moment)
I will be in GMT+1 starting September though..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:18:24 EDT by thomasdean » Logged

Economic Left/Right: -7.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85
Erdos Number: 4
Quote from: JKR
Ce sont nos choix qui montrent ce que nous sommes vraiment,
beaucoup plus que nos aptitudes.
Gizensha
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 13:00:46 EDT »

In the immortal words of Richard O'Brian...

It's just a jump to the left
And then a step to the right
With your hands on your hips
You bring your knees in tight
But it's the pelvic thrust
That really drives you insane
Let's do the Timewarp again

Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Zavion
This is my title.
Talking Head

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 13:32:10 EDT »

>.> I thought I already explained it. Anyways, Northern/Southern hemisphere shouldn't matter as to what time it is; unless more of the world has Daylight Saving Time than America, and I thought it was kinda a North-America thing. (Speaking of; we should just 'spring foward' and stay sprung; even in winter.)

I don't like signatures, so I'm not making one.
What would you guys think I'd look like?

You're clearly a somewhat sexily thrusting cycloptic mecha with horns.
Gizensha
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 13:35:30 EDT »

>.> I thought I already explained it. Anyways, Northern/Southern hemisphere shouldn't matter as to what time it is; unless more of the world has Daylight Saving Time than America, and I thought it was kinda a North-America thing. (Speaking of; we should just 'spring foward' and stay sprung; even in winter.)

More of the world than America does have Daylight Savings Time. As I said earlier, Britain is currently on BST, and both Australia and New Zealand have DST as far as I'm aware.

Current
Pundit

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 14:35:40 EDT »

I am in BST too.  (But here they call it Irish Summer Time).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: