Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Kill files
I Read This
November 21, 2018, 12:43:14 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you think adding an ignore feature would be useful to this forum?  (Voting closed: June 19, 2007, 02:03:13 EDT)
Yes, I would use it - 2 (22.2%)
Yes, but I would not use. - 3 (33.3%)
I don't Care - 1 (11.1%)
No, but that just me - 1 (11.1%)
No, I think it would be a hinderance. - 2 (22.2%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kill files  (Read 6517 times)
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« on: May 18, 2007, 23:00:03 EDT »

Some sort of software-enforced list of people who's posts just don't appear would be very handy. I've really gotten sick of seeing some... certain...  person(s) posting random junk and flooding out the forum.

Any chance of a usenet-reader-like kill file?

Poll added - rogue-kun
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 02:03:13 EDT by rogue-kun » Logged

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 00:04:23 EDT »

Some sort of software-enforced list of people who's posts just don't appear would be very handy. I've really gotten sick of seeing some... certain...  person(s) posting random junk and flooding out the forum.

Um on forums it called an ignorelist.

Go To: Profile -> Personal Message Options

though a badder request would be to extend that to the forum itself

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Gizensha
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 00:07:47 EDT »

Um on forums it called an ignorelist.

Go To: Profile -> Personal Message Options

though a badder request would be to extend that to the forum itself

I presume you mean 'better' there, and would direct you to the last time this topic came up

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Pundit

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 00:21:46 EDT »

I did mean better Cool

the problem with a Usenet style Kill-file, means convert conf vert from HTTP distrbustion to tha NNTP distrbution Cool all in dall web based forums, are easyer to use, and easyer to understand what goning on when somthing goes wrong Cool

(I was using NNTP/Usenet long before Webforums existed)

here is the biggest problem, you would lose graphics. and this is a Forum who primary existance is to decuse a Webcomic Cool

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Lissou
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 00:29:45 EDT »

The thing is, if you still see the answers to these posts and the posts are quoted, it doesn't change that much. Might also prevent you from taking part in some discussions.
Of course, as it wouldn't be compulsory, I'm not really opposed to that, I just think it wouldn't be as handy as it may sound.
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 00:33:37 EDT »

my usenet kill file is very handy...

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
rwpikul
Pundit

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 00:38:28 EDT »

I did mean better Cool

the problem with a Usenet style Kill-file, means convert conf vert from HTTP distrbustion to tha NNTP distrbution

Some webfora do have an ignore poster feature, (admittedly very basic even compared to early versions of trn).

Quote from: rogue-kun
all in dall web based forums, are easyer to use, and easyer to understand what goning on when somthing goes wrong Cool

Easier to start using maybe, but I find that a newsgroup is still fine with an order of magnitude more traffic than a web board that is unreadable due to heavy traffic.

here is the biggest problem, you would lose graphics. and this is a Forum who primary existance is to decuse a Webcomic Cool

A private heirarchy can easily have many/all groups as binary groups.

--

Chakat Firepaw - Inventor & Scientist (Mad)
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Pundit

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 00:48:46 EDT »

I did mean better Cool

the problem with a Usenet style Kill-file, means convert conf vert from HTTP distrbustion to tha NNTP distrbution

Some webfora do have an ignore poster feature, (admittedly very basic even compared to early versions of trn).

Which I mentioned in my first post, the post you repled to me focuning on the problem with the actully reques to moved toa NNTP style kilefile Cool

Quote from: rwpikul

here the kicker here, to veiw such binaries under NNTP, means turning on the very option that let viruses though. where as the IMG tag here is desend to only let though the actuall images. I was 18 when i disvceved NNTP:ALT.BINNARIES.PICTUTRES.* I'm very familary with their exiostance Wink
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 01:11:58 EDT by rogue-kun » Logged

Gizensha
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 01:06:21 EDT »

I stand by my position which I stated last time it came up, though would ammend it to add that nowadays there is enough conflict between some posters on this forum so that an ignore list feature that doesn't simply apply to PMs might be a good idea, as featured on some forums. I'm still completely neutral about it, however, since I wouldn't use it even if I wasn't a mod.

(The forum I use with it is on vBulletin. I don't know if there's an easially installable ignore list feature for this forum software, though, and that's the important thing.)

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 01:54:59 EDT »

Last time this was asked, the poll results showed that not enough people even had an opinion to justify adding it.  Thus, the thread slipped into oblivion.

For the time being, I'd prefer not to muck around with forum add-ons, for various reasons (if RK Niner wants to, I won't object, but I don't feel comfortable trying to do it myself tongue ).  However, once we get situated on the new server later this summer, we'll be upgrading the forum to the newest version of the system, and will probably be able to add something like this.

And, converting the forum to Usenet?  Are you serious?  o.O
rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Pundit

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 02:04:36 EDT »

Last time this was asked, the poll results showed that not enough people even had an opinion to justify adding it.  Thus, the thread slipped into oblivion.

But given our population demograhace has gotten wider seince the last time asked, I diced to ask agian, To see if worht addind when we do move servers.

purplecat
Mad Scientist
Pundit

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 11:03:31 EDT »

Like I said last time, this would be useful, but would also create problems, just like any piece of technology.

The advantage is that you could ignore people who say idiotic things and drag the forum away from its previous culture of polite if robust discussion. People being ignored by the population of the forums would take the hint and leave, for a troll is nothing without an audience.

The disadvantage is that idiotic posts would leak through, as people replied and quoted them. Also, I think it's possible that I'm overestimating the intelligence of trolls, and that they wouldn't leave if they were met with a wall of scilence, especially since certain individuals still cannot take a hint when met with constant criticism and hostility.
Furthermore, if the regular posters go "shields up", it may be good for them, but any new people will see all the madness, and never join. Which would be bad.

In conclusion, I don't think that this would be good for the forum overall, but if it was implemented, I'd use it in an instant.

Perhaps what we need is an open and honest discussion about forum rules and moderation?

Purplecat: Keeper of the political compass thread. Want to be on the graph? post your results here

Me: (No, seriously, this entire forum has the attention span of an..... oooh! shiny!)
Noktoraiz
Political Analyst

Nokt Nokt... Who's there?

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 11:51:39 EDT »

are you proposing a mod-chosen ignore list that applied to everyone or individual ignore lists, because individual ignore lists would be bad if certain people ignored someone in a forum and then others didn't because it would get confusing when people respond to the ignored person and the others would never know making the conversation jumpy and confusing.

Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. That's why I did this: to protect you from yourselves.
--Sideshow Bob
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 11:58:07 EDT »

Individual ignore lists is the idea up for discussion.  If the staff concur that someone's posts should be dealt with, they'll be placed on post moderation and/or banned.
rwpikul
Pundit

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 15:26:04 EDT »

here the kicker here, to veiw such binaries under NNTP, means turning on the very option that let viruses though. where as the IMG tag here is desend to only let though the actuall images. I was 18 when i disvceved NNTP:ALT.BINNARIES.PICTUTRES.* I'm very familary with their exiostance Wink

That's only an issue if you use a totally broken newsreader or do stupid things like decoding and running executable files.

Also, most modern newsreaders will decode and display images as part of the post.

--

Chakat Firepaw - Inventor & Scientist (Mad)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: