Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
A question for D.C.
I Read This
September 18, 2018, 17:23:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Lupinia Hosting Community, which hosts I Read This, is supported by donations!  Please contribute if you're able, click here for details.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A question for D.C.  (Read 8203 times)
Nentuaby
New Political Commentator

« on: March 18, 2007, 04:52:25 EDT »

Let me preface this by acknowledging that this sort of question can be Where Angels Fear to Tread, and I won't begrudge a firm "no comment" on any or all. Also, of course, you may read in the usual "huge fan, decently long time reader, etc. etc." preface here. Wink

So something fairly subliminal about the IDT art had been nagging at me for a while, and I finally realized it was the changing appearance of Our Hero over time when the flashed back and current versions appeared in subsequent panels today. This confused me, so I went to look up some information, and ended up rather more confused.

What I found was  "Simpson currently identifies as transgender[1], preferring to be referenced with "Dana Claire" and feminine pronouns. She still usually goes by her initials, which have not changed" (AllExperts.com) and Wikipedia's even more blandly cryptic "David Craig Simpson, generally known as D. C. Simpson, and who was for a period Dana Clair Simpson, [...]"

To say the least, those 1.5 sentences raise a lot more questions than they answer, and I found pretty much nothing else- an interview that didn't touch the subject, a broken link to a bio page on Ozy and Millie's site... I also noticed a pretty fair mix of pronouns in use on the forums here. So, I'm pretty curious now. Questions of gender and sexuality are a fairly fascinating topic to me, and in this case everything I can find seems to be almost curiously mute, especially as this seems to me like a fairly important bit of context for understanding IDT. These sort of bland references scream "tip of an iceberg" to me.

So, what (not which, I've learned better than that) is it- and, assuming at least one of these wikis has its story right, when did/has it changed? Was the process one of alteration or realization? What has it meant to your life and work? Etc., Etc. I'd just really like to know as much of the story as you're willing to share...
Zavion
This is my title.
Talking Head

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 05:27:02 EDT »

(I must admit, while it seems a little caullous and intrusive to ask such a question, I had the same questions. Wikipedia be damned though, for all the use it is, it's counterbalanced by as much hearsay and random garbage as any 'real' newspaper. I've heard about articles on people writen, changed by the person they were written about; then rechanged by the admins. As if the admins knew that person better than they knew themselves. So I was not totally sure what to make of it. While neither distinction would bother me (male, female, transgender, genderless; in reality it means pretty little. Even if one were to assert a sexual preference, unless one is sexually interested in D.C., so it's not like it should matter if he was from Mars. But morbid curiousity and a need to be somewhat correct in my addresses got the better of me and I asked this very question in my introduction page. The anwser I got was that "For the time being, he goes by 'he', and if he changed his mind, he'd probably tell us, and that he prefers the initials 'D.C.' over any standard name (again, for the time being). And while that is, really, enough for me to respect (I'd wish that people would choose a gender and stick to it; I could care less which, but it makes it akward to call somebody 'her' to find out she's a 'he' now. If only so I don't sound like a hypocrite or rude.) the wishes, it'd be nice to hear the news from the chief himself (or herself), and if he wishes to not comment (which is fairly understanding), would he be angered if I chose a pronoun randomly? If he was not angry, I'd just pick 'he' and stick with it until I was told otherwise; if he would, I guess I'd be forced to rely on 'it', but that sounds... dehumanizing. Even if it was not. Quite a problem.)

I don't like signatures, so I'm not making one.
What would you guys think I'd look like?

You're clearly a somewhat sexily thrusting cycloptic mecha with horns.
Lissou
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 05:41:08 EDT »

I'm not DC, so I can't answer all the "how did you feel" part, but I can tell you that he considered a sex changed, picked a name (actually, his mother helped him with that which is only fair), considered it some more and after some time decided he was happy with who he is right now, which is David Craig Simpson.
I myself was caught using "she" when it was "he" again and got really confused, and I understand that a lot of people can be so as well, but I'm guessing DCS might be a bit... bored of having to answer questions about it, which is why I'm telling you everything I know.

I have no idea how definitive this is and I can understand that it would be a pretty tough decision to make, but unless otherwise stated by himself, DCS is to be considered a male from now on. That's the way I understand it, at least.

Zavion, if you have some pronoun troubles, you can always try using "xe". I'm sure it would please Gizensha :p

As far as I know, DC doesn't mind being called David, it's his first name after all. I was just saying in that other post that he doesn't like being called Dave, and that DC is the safest way to go as far as I am concerned. He uses the name Rain as well but seems to be called that by people who've known him for a long time so I wouldn't use that name without feeling uncomfortable doing so, personally.

Anyway, I invite you both to look through threads in this forum, as the issue has been talked about and answered by DCS himself.
Zavion
This is my title.
Talking Head

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 05:57:02 EDT »

You mentioned the name, Rain, which I tought was strange being that is a name a lot of people call me that I feel akward being called by random people I don't know well.

I've never heard of the pronoun 'xe' before; I assume it refers to a mix between 'he' and 'she' considering a lack of gender would be 'it'. It sounds a little more.. human. I don't know if I'd use it, but, it's not bad. I'm also aware of the difference between 'gender' and 'identity'; and I can respect that, even if I don't totally understand it.

Actually, I did look somewhat through his post history (a bit), but I didn't see anything immedietly when I asked in my topic. I guess it'd had behooved me to look a bit farther.
I think it's pretty cool that his mother would respect his decision (or, rather, his decision making process) enough that she not only could help him, but would. I know friends of mine's parents who'd probably as soon as disown them for looking in the direction of another guy as anything else.

Nentuaby
New Political Commentator

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 06:30:48 EDT »

Thank you for the information, Lissou.

That said, I want to clarify a couple of points... First, I did take a pretty hard gander at what I could find before I asked. Second, I ask these questions out of a desire to know a bit more about what instinct tells me almost has to be a meaningful piece of context for two of my favorite comics, and admittedly out of some plain curiosity on what I find to be a fascinating topic. NOT because I have trouble referring or relating to a person whose gender identity I don't know (no offense meant to you here, Zavion.) If it were just that, I could go to novel lengths using D.C., various colorful epithets, and no pronouns at all. Wink

Finally, though, I'm going to refrain from any further commentary in this thread until D.C. posts a reply (and after that, of course, if the reply is "drop it.")
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 15:37:31 EDT »

http://lupinia.us/ireadthis/index.php?topic=1982.msg42535#msg42535
Zavion
This is my title.
Talking Head

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 23:39:43 EDT »

NOT because I have trouble referring or relating to a person whose gender identity I don't know (no offense meant to you here, Zavion.)

For me, it wasn't that I couldn't identify with him (I can very much identify with wanting to change myself; regardless if you think it's the 'right' or 'wrong' anwser; what I don't totally understand is where the strife of gender idenity comes from; not because I don't 'believe' in it, so much as I've never had that problem myself; I can sympathize but not empathize on it.), so much as so that, my thinking was, if one goes though with making that sort of decision, it has to be a long, emotional, and thoughtful process; it's not so much like, choosing what to wear in the morning. And because of that, I would want to respect his decision, and coming in and calling him "David" when he wanted "Dana" or just "D.C." (or vice versa) would seem like I was basically saying "Hey, this is who I think you should be, and I'm going to ignore the fact that you have wishes otherwise" which is something I very much wanted to avoid (even if it would be accidental; if I accidently ran over your foot, you'd still be mad and in pain, even if less so than if I did it by purpose; so it's best to look-out ahead to minimalize problems in the future.)

Other than to clarify my purpose in asking, I'll refrain from speaking about it again until said person himself invites such a discussion (if ever).

Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 23:38:23 EDT »

IIRC, the last that was said is that s/he is remaining male and considering his options. He's recommended, for ease, to refer to him as "DCS".

"Going to War for Peace,
is like Screwing for Virginity."

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
MysticalChicken
Political Commentator

Keep Left

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 21:37:14 EDT »

IIRC, the last that was said is that s/he is remaining male and considering his options. He's recommended, for ease, to refer to him as "DCS".

Oh good.  This means I don't have to feel weird for having a little crush on him*.

*read:  "what I imagine he looks like based on his cartoony avatar."  I just really dig skinny dark-haired guys with glasses.

ronrab
Political Analyst

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 22:51:09 EDT »

Alas!  DCS is already taken.
Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 23:06:52 EDT »

...I'm not. I wear glasses. I have long, black hair.

...Though I'm sure I've put on weight since becoming a vegetarian, and somehow I doubt you'd be interested in someone as ugly as me. Plus my glasses are pink Smiley

...Or as bearded...

NB: Though all the facts in this post are true, this post is made entirely in jest.

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Liberal Seagull
Pundit

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 18:35:24 EDT »

You can feel safe using either gender pronoun.  You're not going to cause offense.

Disclaimer:
For external use only.  Seek medical attention if effects last more than 48 hours.  Do not mix with bleach.  Do not cross the streams.  If the plug does not fit your outlet, consult an electrician.  Side effects may include: Panic belching, excessive consumption of french fries, webbed feet, exploding uvula syndrome, temporary relocation to the 8th dimension, and the condition known as "bratwurst finger."  Disconnect all power before servicing.  Do not use while sleeping.  The electrons used in this message are in every measurable respect identical to electrons in other users' messages, and no claim to the contrary is implied.
MysticalChicken
Political Commentator

Keep Left

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 18:59:14 EDT »

Alas!  DCS is already taken.

So is Stephen Colbert.  *dreamy expression* Sigh.

Zavion
This is my title.
Talking Head

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 02:47:53 EDT »

Necromancy'd.

Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 03:31:16 EDT »

Stuff in this board gets necro-posted fairly often smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: