Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Transversing Liberal Cyberspace: wikis and blogs
I Read This
May 27, 2018, 13:15:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transversing Liberal Cyberspace: wikis and blogs  (Read 5965 times)
Mecha
Political Analyst

Politics Junkie

« on: December 06, 2006, 03:25:31 EST »

I like political discussion on the internet: it is far richer and has provided far more tastes and qualities of discussion than anything cable TV and newspapers can or would willingly provide.

In time, many political forums can become dry for subject matter, as there are more-or-less a finite number of core issues to be discussed.  However, as people come and go, new threads of the issues will come and go in a great cycle.  This is good, as discussion is important and helps people in various ways.  A methodological approach to this has resulted in a website for a particular topic to have fleshed out all the facets of the topic to the point that it could simply be linked to when the appropriate facet of the issue came up.  I am referring of the TalkOrigins website, which evolved out of a Usenet group on the topic of evolution vs creationism.

This approach I think could enrich political discussion, if the appropriate effort was expended to flesh out and build considerable references to make it clear to any reality-based person which way the evidence leans on an issue, as well as when tired talking points are brought up, a pre-formulated counterpoint could be presented so that people need not spend any considerable time re-refuting the debunked each time such things are brought up.

Certainly, I thought,  with the voracity with which liberal bloggers dissect and hunt down information, certainly a hub or repository has formed?  The answer seems to be no, but the journey (via Google) was quite enlightening.

I think some sort of political wiki would be the best form for it to take.  There are a few wikis out there that try to do a bit of political dimension but failed, for example Liberal Quicksand  (I'm not sure if it is a parody or not), Liberal HQ (a seemingly abandoned liberal policy wiki), PhiloWiki (which is a wiki which seems to try to encapsulate points on issues from all sides, albeit the wiki is rather barren on political issues, check "Enviromentalism" to see what I mean), Gone's Political Wiki (devoid of content, bad implementation of a wiki), but none of those seem to either be geared for that task or desire that kind of material. 

However, there are a few interesting political wikis I found along the way:
Campaigns Wikia, started by one of the founders of Wikipedia,
Political Science Wiki,
dKosopedia,
DiscourseDB (database of political commentary),
Wiki Democrats and wiki GOP (rather abandoned, it seems),
Open Politics (Canadian political wiki on political issues, seems to have some technical issues, but seems interesting).
Ministry of Truth Wiki

Until I started looking, I honestly had no real idea there was so much!  dKospedia seems to be the most politically affluent wiki with the capacity and focus needed to envelope the issues (the leftism helps, too). 

Anyone know of good political wikis, or website w/ liberal counterpoints/talking points?

Another problem is the mindbogglingly large blogosphere.  When I was invoking Google about liberal wikis and counterpoints/talkingpoints, I came across a good number of liberal blogs, plenty of which have quality material (I won't list em due to space/time restraints, except for this one)

What're your favorite and most respected/trusted blogs/feeds for your analysis and news? (consider DailyKos, Democratic Underground already counted)
Mine are:
http://pseudomanitou.livejournal.com/
http://ezraklein.typepad.com/

(and for fun: http://community.livejournal.com/politicartoons/ ; and one shocking revelation found along the way)

What're yours?  And does anyone know a website where blogs are ranked/reviewed, and with a definitive listing of blogs in a well presented format?

~Mecha

Economic Left/Right: -6.88 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.92
Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:39:27 EST »

Stickied. For reasons of 'this is a useful resource'.

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Schmorgluck
Devout Discordian
Political Analyst

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 15:10:19 EST »

Looking for some stuff, I fell on an interesting Canadian blog, Relentlessly Progressive Economics, about, well, economy.

There's no such thing as female intelligence.
Bringerofpie
Pundit

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 16:02:43 EST »

Heheh, my IP is permanently banned from editing wikipedia pages. Also, I have a blog: nickelsiscrap.blogspot.com. Good stuff. Not for the weak of stomach, sensitive, or politically correct.

Set a new standard
Defy the odds
Step up.

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.21

Does anyone else get more liberal every time they take the political compass test?
CrossDressingNazi
Banned
Political Commentator

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 06:20:39 EDT »

http://www.sourcewatch.org is the best!

Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 20:39:54 EDT »

I've recently found myself reading Washington File, the blog of CBC's Washington correspondent.

Laserlips
Political Analyst

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 15:10:21 EST »

I read the Article 6 Blog (www.article6blog.com) and World Watch (www.ornery.org), but these are so NOT Liberal Cyberspace.  They are the Antimatter Universe of the Liberal Cyberspace.

Economic Left/Right: -1.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.62

Mormons for Romney kind of sounds like it might be a palindrome, but it isn't.
Medivh
Pundit

Power-mad elf

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 04:13:34 EST »

Then... why did you post them under "liberal cyberspace"?

And if i catch you comin' back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do
-- "Seven Nation Army", The White Stripes

So what you're telling me is that LTV's fudge factor means more than it's independent variable?
Yes...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: