Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
[COMIC] How the current Congress would have handled Watergate.
I Read This
December 13, 2018, 01:15:44 EST *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New here? Read our voting instructions and rules

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47
  Print  
Author Topic: [COMIC] How the current Congress would have handled Watergate.  (Read 65343 times)
Like_D00D
Political Commentator

« on: March 17, 2006, 18:11:01 EST »

http://www.idrewthis.org/2006/watergate.html

http://www.idrewthis.org/d/20060317.html

I'm tired, I'll think of something to say later : /
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 20:29:02 EDT by rogue-kun » Logged

Gizensha
Campaign Management Staff
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 18:22:41 EST »

Lovely stylistic background, there.

Wish I could say I found it funny, but it's too depressing a point to.

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Bocaj Claw
Political Analyst

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 01:53:27 EST »

Later: ZOMG! Clinton had sex! Impeach! Impeach!

John
Talking Head

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 03:42:03 EST »

I liked it because it was fair and balanced. I imagine today's comic is fairly similar to the fabled Fox News I've heard so much about.

(Okay, seriously. I did like today's comic because it did point out BOTH sides are just as bad as each other Wink).
Liberal Eagle
The Arteest
Political Analyst

A lefty bird in a hat

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 04:47:03 EST »

Quote from: John
(Okay, seriously. I did like today's comic because it did point out BOTH sides are just as bad as each other Wink).

I actually significantly disagree with that statement. Smiley

"Am I the only one who just wants to play hopscotch and bake cookies and watch The McLaughlin Group? Hello?" -Lisa Simpson
Psy
Pundit

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 10:59:41 EST »

Quote from: dcsimpson
Quote from: John

I actually significantly disagree with that statement. Smiley
Republican elites secretly thank the loard every day for the Democrats, without them they would have to content with the Greens as the offical opposition if their lucky, odds are high without the Democrats after Watergate there would have been no safty valve for dissent and you'd have had uprisings like that in Paris 1968 with cries from the masses for full scale revolution.  Democrats are just the left-wing of the Republican party, Democrats are not aginst imperialism they are not saying vote for us and we'll take dismantle the US empire, Clinton didn't even get rid of USs nukes or the SOA.
Al Creed
Political Commentator

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 13:03:15 EST »

YOU FORGOT McCLELLEN TALKING POINTS!

I cannot comment on an on-going investigation. Tongue

Liberal Eagle
The Arteest
Political Analyst

A lefty bird in a hat

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 14:39:26 EST »

Quote from: Psy
Republican elites secretly thank the loard every day for the Democrats, without them they would have to content with the Greens as the offical opposition if their lucky, odds are high without the Democrats after Watergate there would have been no safty valve for dissent and you'd have had uprisings like that in Paris 1968 with cries from the masses for full scale revolution.  Democrats are just the left-wing of the Republican party, Democrats are not aginst imperialism they are not saying vote for us and we'll take dismantle the US empire, Clinton didn't even get rid of USs nukes or the SOA.

Psy, honestly, speaking as a former opinions page editor of a college newspaper at a school full of people who thought very much as you do, you'd get a lot more people to take your ideas seriously if you'd just spell and punctuate your sentences correctly.

It doesn't matter whether people "should" care about that. The fact is they do; whether they should or not, they interpret your level of articulacy as an indicator of your intelligence and the soundness of your ideas.

(Exiting former editor mode now...although I still keep a copy of Strunk and White very near my drawing table!)

"Am I the only one who just wants to play hopscotch and bake cookies and watch The McLaughlin Group? Hello?" -Lisa Simpson
Psy
Pundit

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 15:45:50 EST »

Psy, honestly, speaking as a former opinions page editor of a college newspaper at a school full of people who thought very much as you do, you'd get a lot more people to take your ideas seriously if you'd just spell and punctuate your sentences correctly.

It doesn't matter whether people "should" care about that. The fact is they do; whether they should or not, they interpret your level of articulacy as an indicator of your intelligence and the soundness of your ideas.

(Exiting former editor mode now...although I still keep a copy of Strunk and White very near my drawing table!)
This is not a newspaper, this is a medium that has always been known for its users ignoring form for function and is growingly more non-english.
Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 15:59:58 EST »

You do know that is somewhat elitism, it prevents those that can not form ideas into the proper english from partaking in meaningful communications.

It's also a heuristic the vast majority of people apply in everyday life.  I'm not saying that's a good thing, but you still need to account for it.

Psy
Pundit

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 16:16:23 EST »

Quote from: Richard K Niner

It's also a heuristic the vast majority of people apply in everyday life.  I'm not saying that's a good thing, but you still need to account for it.

That is true in some forms of communication but not for all.
Icedragon
Pundit

IDT colorist

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 21:27:24 EST »

This is not a newspaper, this is a medium that has always been known for its users ignoring form for function and is growingly more non-english.

Still, if people cannot read what you are atempting to say, they dimiss it as ignorant garbage.

I will give you an example.  I will type the same paragraph twice.  The First time I will use the best grammar and spelling I can.  The second time I will ignore the rules of English.  The third time I will use leet speak.

I don’t understand why the democrats are not doing all they can to oppose Bush.  It's their job to voice their constituents; they feel like using nonexistent protest will get people to vote for them in 2006, and give the party a desperately needed rise in seat numbers.  None of the democrats in the senate want to censure Bush.  They won’t censure, they won’t impeach, then what else can they do?  Hit him with a rolled up newspaper and say "Bad George, bad!", or will they do what they seem to be doing for about 5 years, the take it like a bitch strategy?

i dont undersatnd why the democratsa re not doing  allthey can to oppose bush  its there job to voice theyre constituants, they feel lik eusing nonexistant portest will ge poeple to vote for them in 2006, nad give them a despratelyt needed rise in seat numbers.  NOne of the democrats in the senate want to cnesure Bush.  They wont censure, they wont impeach, then what else can they do?  Hit him with a rolllde up newspaper and say "Bad Geoige, bad!", Or will they do what they seem to be doing for about 5 years, the take it lika bitch straetgy?

i d0N’+ uNd3r$+@Nd \/\/hy +h3 d3M0cr@+z @r3 n0+ d0iNg @11 +h3y c@N +0 0Pp0$3 bu$h.  i+z +h3ir j0b +0 v0ic3 +h3ir c0N$+i+u3N+z; +h3y ph331 1i/<3 u$iNg n0N3xi$+3N+ pr0+3$+ \/\/i11 g3+ p30P13 +0 v0+3 ph0r +h3M iN 2006, @Nd giv3 +h3 p@r+y @ d3$P3r@+31y n33d3d ri$3 iN $3@+ nuMb3rz.  n0N3 0f +h3 d3M0cr@+z iN +h3 $3N@+3 \/\/@N+ +0 c3N$ur3 bu$h.  +h3y \/\/0N’+ c3N$ur3, +h3y \/\/0N’+ iMP3@ch, +h3N \/\/h@+ 31$3 c@N +h3y d0?  hi+ hiM \/\/i+h @ r0113d uP n3\/\/$P@P3r @Nd $@y "b@d g30rg3, b@d!", 0r \/\/i11 +h3y d0 \/\/h@+ +h3y $33M +0 b3 d0iNg ph0r @b0u+ 5 y3@rz, +h3 +@/<3 i+ 1i/<3 @ bi+ch $+r@+3gy?

Any questions?

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else." - Teddy Roosevelt

"The internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck. It's a series of tubes!" -Sen. Ted Stevens
Like_D00D
Political Commentator

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 21:39:43 EST »

Yeah, I kinda stopped reading your post after 1/4 through the 2nd paragraph (the one with the English rules abolished), so I sort of proved your point. Then again, since I already knew what was being said (all the paragraphs saying the same thing)...but yeah, that is definietly correct.

Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 21:43:23 EST »

Quote from: Like_D00D
Yeah, I kinda stopped reading your post after 1/4 through the 2nd paragraph (the one with the English rules abolished), so I sort of proved your point. Then again, since I already knew what was being said (all the paragraphs saying the same thing)...but yeah, that is definietly correct.

I do the same thing with the second paragraph.  Forgetting a comma, period, or capital in English is like forgetting a parenthesis, semi-colon, or brace in C, C++, Java, and other similar programming languages.

rogue-kun
Dog of Lysdexics
Pundit

When I grow up I wanna be a kid

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 22:08:13 EST »

let's not  forget the problems of a dropped "n't"

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dew of the mountain that thoughts acquire speed; the hands acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Economic Left/Right: -7.38 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
This message is encoded with ROT26. Decoding is punishable by law under the DMCA.
Rogue's Weyr Rogue's Rabblings
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47
  Print  

Jump to: