Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Welcome to I Read This Forums: Important Information (New Rules)
I Read This
September 26, 2018, 00:23:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome to I Read This Forums: Important Information (New Rules)  (Read 9913 times)
Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« on: January 29, 2005, 00:42:27 EST »

BY POSTING TO I READ THIS FORUMS, YOU DENOTE ACCEPTANCE OF THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS

• I Read This forums ("the board") is a service provided to you, at no charge, for the purpose of holding discussions with registered members.
  • All communications are directed towards all those capable of viewing it, including but not limited to moderators, the board administration, other members, and guests.
  • Any messages you post are your own, unless explicitly indicated.  By posting them to the board, you grant license to publish the message on our forums.
  • The board reserves the right to bar members from its forums, based on their own judgement.
Now that the legal mumbo-jumbo is out of the way, let's look at the rules of I Read This forums.

These are our rules for the forum. Please read them carefully and keep them in mind when posting. They are important and keep the forum enjoyable for everyone.

This is a forum for fans of I Drew This. That is one thing that links all members together. If you're here to bash the comic, advertise your products, or try to convert the forum goers to your way of thinking then you're not here for the right reason. If you are here for the right reason, remember that liking the comic is one thing we all have in common. Your fellow fans are not the enemy.

Treat all other members of the forum with respect. Remember, not everyone is going to agree with everything you say, and nobody is right 100% of the time. Similarly, claiming that others are wrong by definition is rude, and counterproductive. So please, respect the right to hold a different opinion than you, and treat others the way you would like to be treated.

As well as the other members of the forum, moderators and Administrators are to be treated with respect. Remember that we are people too, we make mistakes, and we are just trying to do our jobs.  If you don’t agree with a decision we have made, or want us to explain a decision to you, please take it up with us in a Private Message, NOT in the public forum. Take a moment to think about your complaint, and be respectful in your message. Insulting us or taking on a generally nasty tone is not likely to make us listen to you or take your complaint/question seriously, and we will not tolerate it.

To avoid confusion, please do not use the colour yellow for your posts. This colour is reserved for messages from moderators. If you do post with a yellow font and it is found, the post will be modified to change the colour, and you will receive an informal Private Message reminding you of this rule. If the behavior is continued it will result in a formal reprimand.

Religious debate is allowed here. However, it must stay civil or else it will be locked, period. There shall be NO personal attacks on people for their religion or lack thereof at this forum, and doing so will result in a warning. Also, please refrain from attacking specific religions or beliefs without having some valid reason to back up your claim. For example, “I think Catholicism is wrong because they believe in celibacy, and I don’t agree” is okay. “Catholics are stupid and evil and I hate them all!!!” is not okay.

Flaming and flamebaiting is not permitted. For those who aren’t sure, flaming is the use of ad hominem (personal attacks), excessive insulting of other members, or using derogatory terms that insult a person or group of people for their race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual preference, or disability.  Flamebaiting is when a person says something to encourage another person to insult them directly in order to start a flamewar. Posts of this nature will be edited and/or deleted as necessary, and any topic that goes in this direction will be locked. The best way to avoid these situations is to know when to walk away from a debate. Thinking “But I can’t let that idiot have the last word” is what leads to flamewars.

All rules that apply in the public forum apply in Private Messages as well. Harassment, insults, ad hominem attacks on other members, publicly OR privately, is not permitted here, and if reported will result in a warning to the offending party.

Trolling and spamming is not permitted at this forum under any circumstances. Trolls and spammers will be banned immediately, there will be no warnings issued in these offenses.

Evading bans or circumventing other moderation of your posts is not allowed. If you are put on post moderation, temporary ban, or permanently banned, any attempts to evade these forms of punishment indicate you are no longer willing to abide by our rules, and you may be subject to more serious punishment.

These last rules are more of general guidelines for posting. While these will not necessarily result in a reprimand, please keep them in mind in order to keep our forum running smoothly:[/u]

Try to stay mostly on topic. It is fine to bring up related thoughts and viewpoints, but topics that go too far off on tangents will be split into new topics. This is simply to avoid confusion for everyone. Also, do not bring up the same subject again and again in different topics. It’s not thread drift if it always goes in the same direction.

While no-one is under any obligation to provide evidence for statements, equally, no-one is under any obligation to take unsupported statements without backup as anything more than hearsay, rumour, or the poster’s opinions. Academic citation is not a requirement of forum discussion, but being willing and able to back up assertions is a good thing in debate.

Signature Guidlines:
A signature should be have no more than six lines of text. Alternatively, you may have one image and 2 lines of text, provided that the image is less than 200 pixels high and 500 pixels wide.  Keep in mind that these are guideline, and signatures will be changed only if they deviate a large amount from these rules.

Failure to follow the above rules or the rules for individual forums (look for an announcement names "Forum Rules" in the threads where you can post) will result within corrective action.
NOTE: Habitual violators of the rules may be given a permanent warning if it is deemed appropriate by the admin and supported by no less than half the mods.  Recipients need not be warned that their warning is permanent.
  • First Warning: A warning will be issued to the offending member.  The board administration will keep track of the initial warning for a period of 90 days.
  • Second Warning: If the first warning has not expired and a member is found to violate the rules again, a second warning will be issued for an ADDITIONAL 90 day period. This means, if you get a first warning, then 30 days later get a second warning, you will have to wait 150 days for both warnings to expire.
  • Notice of Impending Removal: Issued at the discretion of the board, this is a final warning.  It will only be used in the rare circumstances of flagrant rule violation.  Failure to correct one's behaviour will result in the final level of corrective action.
  • Removal: Only issued as a final resort, the user is banned from I Read This forums for an administrator-determined length of time, or indefinately.  Removal may include both deletion of the user account and the placement of an IP-based ban.  At any point, banned users may request reinstatement by opening a support ticket for an appeal.

And now that we are done the grisly details, I hope you enjoy your stay. If you have any questions or concerns about these rules, you may voice them here.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 17:02:46 EDT by FireyTiger » Logged

GhostWay
Political Analyst

Former Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 03:33:27 EST »

(3.20.2005, 3:31 EST) - Updated with new Signature guidelines.  --GhostWay

[citation needed]
FireyTiger
Campaign Directors
Talking Head

Keith Olbermann's Stalker, apparently...

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 20:31:38 EDT »

4/17/08: Updated with new list of rules.

Quote from: azdb7
I'm sorry, you still seem to think your opinion is relevant.  Please re-examine the earlier posts and try again.
Natasha Lockhart
Lupinia Administrator
Talking Head

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 20:43:52 EDT »

4/17/08: Updated ban appeals process.
FireyTiger
Campaign Directors
Talking Head

Keith Olbermann's Stalker, apparently...

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 13:25:28 EDT »

8/9/08: Updated warning procedures.

Quote from: azdb7
I'm sorry, you still seem to think your opinion is relevant.  Please re-examine the earlier posts and try again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: