Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/public/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Politics Resources
I Read This
July 23, 2018, 04:04:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any issues at all, visit our support site.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Politics Resources  (Read 9760 times)
GhostWay
Political Analyst

Former Moderator

« on: February 06, 2006, 16:07:10 EST »

I figured it would be nice if there was a thread for resources concerning politcians and such.  Probably mainly United States politics, but if anyone has resources to share from Canada and the UK (or wherever else), feel free.

Congressional Directory - Useful for finding your State Representative and Senators, along with contact information for each one.
Senate Judiciary Committee - List of current members of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

What other useful resources have you Readers found?  I'll try to update this post as often as possible with new resources.

[citation needed]
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 18:49:03 EST »

The following is a jumping point for finding out the current Canadian Ministers and Senators.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/common/SenatorsMembers.asp?Language=E&Parl=37&Ses=1

It seems the first step the Tories took on the web was to increase the difficulty in finding the contact info about the members of the cabinet, though.  huh

Still looking, though.

"Going to War for Peace,
is like Screwing for Virginity."

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
Richard K Niner
Founder
Campaign Directors
Pundit

Indecision incarnate canine

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 12:20:59 EST »

Quote from: Darkeforce
It seems the first step the Tories took on the web was to increase the difficulty in finding the contact info about the members of the cabinet, though.  huh

No, it was already like that.  Also, navigating from the front page provided the list within two clicks (after selecting the language) to the actual list, another click for the name, and one more for contact information.  Of those, only one of them was not clearly marked.

purplecat
Mad Scientist
Campaign Management Staff
Pundit

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 13:13:40 EST »

Because the UK is very bad at these things:

They work for you a website dedicated to voting, speaking and cash taking records for all UK MPs

And if you're annoyed at them: you can also fax your MP

more later......

Purplecat: Keeper of the political compass thread. Want to be on the graph? post your results here

Me: (No, seriously, this entire forum has the attention span of an..... oooh! shiny!)
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 18:01:02 EST »

Quote from: Richard K Niner
Quote from: Darkeforce

No, it was already like that.  Also, navigating from the front page provided the list within two clicks (after selecting the language) to the actual list, another click for the name, and one more for contact information.  Of those, only one of them was not clearly marked.

It was a whole lot easier finding contact information for the Liberal Cabinet. I used their resource all the time to contact relevant Ministers. It's much more difficult now.

"Going to War for Peace,

"Politics. It's like having evil cake, and eating it, too" - Torg - Sluggy Freelance
Jake
aka; Taris Quickpaw
Talking Head

I see you....

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 21:42:27 EST »

http://www.factcheck.org/

My Contemporary Issues teacher told us to use this as a reliable source.  I've yet to review it.

"Shut up!  I'm trying to make conversation!" ~ Me, IReadThis IRC channel

purplecat
Mad Scientist
Pundit

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 08:26:25 EST »

Quote from: Jake
http://www.factcheck.org/

My Contemporary Issues teacher told us to use this as a reliable source.  I've yet to review it.

Currently dead. When I try it with FX, All I get is a bunch of wierd characters.

Purplecat: Keeper of the political compass thread. Want to be on the graph? post your results here

Me: (No, seriously, this entire forum has the attention span of an..... oooh! shiny!)
Schroedinger's Cat
Political Analyst

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 18:37:26 EST »

As of today, it seems to be up.  However, it's old.  August 2004.  I've heard of similar sites out there, though, that do investigative journalism and post what they find online.  Maybe I can find one.

Ketchup has natural mellowing agents, Jim...
Life is flowing, like ketchup, in the wind... ketchup... ketchup... ketchup...
--The Ketchup Advisory Board
Darkeforce
Banned
Political Thinktank

Forum's Punching Bag

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 19:36:34 EST »

The site's up and active, and current as of 02.01.2006 with an article about Bush's State of the Union speech.
CTRL+F5 the site, Shroedinger's Cat, so you aren't getting a cached version.

As for the purple feline, maybe your ISP is pulling a Google and is blocking your access to that site?  evil

"Going to War for Peace,

Schroedinger's Cat
Political Analyst

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 20:01:20 EST »

You're right, DF; I'm unfamiliar with ctrl F5, but I typed the address in the bar and it was up-to-date.  I should have noticed on the Google site that on the bottom it said www.factcheck.org/otherstuffleadingtoalink...

And I wonder if purplecat was seeing code?  Like when you see scripts on a page your browser has trouble with?  Some browsers don't like a page the first time, but later have no problem.  Of course, I blame M$  >:)

Ketchup has natural mellowing agents, Jim...
Life is flowing, like ketchup, in the wind... ketchup... ketchup... ketchup...
--The Ketchup Advisory Board
purplecat
Mad Scientist
Pundit

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 07:02:31 EST »

Ok, It's all sorted out. Forced refresh cleared it all up this time. Why it didn't work yesterday, I don't know.

strive to be dust
Political Analyst

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 09:43:53 EDT »

Here's a good reference that collects nearly all of the global warming
news in one place.
http://nsidc.org/news/
It seems to cover a very wide range of English language publications
from all over the world.  Plus this is the site that announces findings
from US government related research.  It's interesting to see the
various ways the scientists work to get around administrative obsticles
that are put up to hide or obfiscate findings.  The genuine announcements
and the propaganda are so radically different in tone it's pathetic.

Our lives shine briefly,
Sparks in the endless void of history.
Though the splendour will be forgotten,
Burn bright!
Landon_Fox
Political Analyst

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 16:29:17 EDT »

You can always check out Steve Kangas's Liberal FAQ.

-- Landon, The Blue Savant
Gizensha
Free Speech Advocate

Dragon Winged Fox

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 19:57:48 EDT »

http://aspe.hhs.gov/progsys/legi/versions.html - Summary of the route bills take through the US legal system

Quote from: Tim Guest
Interactive Fiction is computer gaming's best parallel with poetry: complex, subtle, and these days absolutely unsaleable.

Quote from: Raph Koster
Art and entertainment are not terms of type - they are terms of intensity
Vicious Reasoning
Talking Head

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 00:42:31 EDT »

http://www.factcheck.org/ Checks the factual accuracy of what politicians say.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/ This site just launched, watches what the politicians are saying and reports any lies told, just like factcheck.org.

Both are great sites. Reliable, unbiased information.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: